You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword 4 to be point 'n' click!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #21
gin soaked boy

Well, this doesn't surprise me much. The Sleeping Dragon was their failed attempt at mainstream popularity and with this one, being PC-only and now point and click, they're obviously trying to appeal to the series' core fans. Fair enough, hope it works out for them.

Personally, I don't care much for yet another BS game so this decision doesn't affect me.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #22
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
I hereby look even more forward to this now, but... is Beneath a Steel Sky 2 still coming? And will it be coming out before or after BS4? And in any case, does this mean that BASS2 might be pnc too?
I'd say it'll come out after, if at all, and they'll probably be looking at how well BS4 does before deciding what direction to take with BASS2.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:43 PM   #23
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Yes, how dare they listen to 85% of the people who bought their game. They should listen to the last 15% instead!
Wow, I'd love to see where you get your numbers from
Old 02-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #24
capsized.

Quote:
Seriously, people complain no matter what. Personally I liked this, because - while there's a tiny tiny chance they might've succeeded with a more improved version of the last one - now they're almost safe in the controls department.

Well, yes. Then again, nobody can be really sure what point&click is exactly going to mean regarding this game. It's fair to assume that it isn't going to mean something like this: "Try to find these one hot spot we have hidden for you somewhere in one of our pretty pictures", because, they've proven they can do something interesting with it.

But (and this is a BIG but): Some of Cecil's statements prior to BS3s release make me think that his heart and his believes aren't into this decision. No, not at all. Well, in today's industry, it's either all hit. Or all miss. So I can at least a bit understand where he's coming from. Doesn't make it any less sad, though.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #25

This is certainly good news.
I was looking forward to it anyway, no matter what control type.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #26
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Me too, here I thought they would do something different... Same old, Same old, I guess.
Err... they did something different, with direct control, in BS3. A lot of people hated it. Hence (I assume) the shift back to point & click.

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other, but I don't think it's really fair in this case to accuse Revolution of being unoriginal. Apparently they're damned if they do and damned if they don't...
Old 02-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to Rayvielle Send a message via MSN to Rayvielle

I can't believe people are against having this game being point and click?

Seriously, the majority of people came to this website, because of the very same User Interface, and now they don't want to see it used?

And I thought people complained, because there weren't any point and click games anymore.

Honestly - I'm behind this a whole heck of a lot, and Yes, this means that crate puzzles are unlikely!!!

C'mon, throw some confetti or somethin'
Old 02-04-2006, 09:27 PM   #28
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Err... they did something different, with direct control, in BS3. A lot of people hated it. Hence (I assume) the shift back to point & click.
Well it was very doubtful that they would get it first time
What im dissapointed in is theyre not going to bother working on improving it, theyve just given up on the first try
And i agree with what sam said, the way cecil spoke about BS3 makes me wonder about this descission...

Just wondering...if anyone here who was among the '85%' that complained, what was it about direct control that was so bad in BS3? I had no trouble with the controls while playing the game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvielle
I can't believe people are against having this game being point and click?

Seriously, the majority of people came to this website, because of the very same User Interface, and now they don't want to see it used?

And I thought people complained, because there weren't any point and click games anymore.

Honestly - I'm behind this a whole heck of a lot, and Yes, this means that crate puzzles are unlikely!!!

C'mon, throw some confetti or somethin'
For me it wasnt the UI that made Adventure games adventures
And i can only speak for myself here but my complaints are that there are not many Adventure games now a days

And its just as easy to put a crate puzzle in a Point and click game
Old 02-05-2006, 01:33 AM   #29
kamikaze hummingbirds

they had one at the start of fate of atlantis (if you didnt fight the tall guy)

btw, i hope they have stealth!
Stealth rock'd.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:17 AM   #30

Quote:
What im dissapointed in is theyre not going to bother working on improving it, theyve just given up on the first try
"Don't bother" seems like a very inappropriate and unfair term to me.

Revolution had to lay off their entire staff after BS3. They may just not be very keen to speculate with their lives and the (financial) existence of their company any further. In my view, their decision is understandable and reasonable.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:50 AM   #31
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

To me the controlling method doesn't matter as long as the game is good.

I really hope that they can rise up to the level of their old games and higher.
It's propably going to be really hard now that Mr. Ince is not working for Revolution anymore.

I'd really like to say Arnie's undying words next: "Stop whining!".
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Well it was very doubtful that they would get it first time
And i agree with what sam said, the way cecil spoke about BS3 makes me wonder about this descission...

Just wondering...if anyone here who was among the '85%' that complained, what was it about direct control that was so bad in BS3? I had no trouble with the controls while playing the game

For me it wasnt the UI that made Adventure games adventures
And i can only speak for myself here but my complaints are that there are not many Adventure games now a days

And its just as easy to put a crate puzzle in a Point and click game
You know, it's dangerous to use percentages and numbers in any discussion nowadays, because the "opposition" always seems to require some documented proof. Noone seems to understand that using numbers the way I did is just meant to be my own impression on how things are. 90% of a discussion is/are pure speculation and/or assumptions, and proof is in most cases nowhere to be found. Oops, I did it again. No I don't have a document that proves that estimated number, but again - it tells you a little about my own impressions.

Anyway, about the assumption they didn't care to develop the control-system from BS3 is, well, an assumption. We could also speculate that they've been trying to make the system work, but in the end it didn't seem to give them the results they needed to get the game out in time. Spending 5 years on developing an engine for a game that's going to sell less copies than Katamari Damacy or ICO isn't a bright idea on the economics side of things. And we could also speculate that they didn't get the results they wanted, but continue to develop while doing BS4 in a more traditional style, so they can release it faster. The genre isn't viable for projects that takes 3-5 years without releasing anything meanwhile, and while I don't really wish for it, BASS2 could be the first game that uses a proper direct control system because they had enough time to develop and perfect it.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:30 AM   #33
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Oh yes and I also like to say that we should just let the team work on game and start the judging when the final game is released.

We know almost nothing about BS4 right now. I really dislike when certain use of a UI is called "giving up" or "same old, same old". It's just one of the many control methods that exist for games.

For example games like Supreme Commander and FM2006 use P'n C just like their predecessors and lots of third person games use the same keyboard&mouse combination/gamepad that they've used almost 10 years now, but I don't hear anyone saying that it's "same old, giving up and boring".

That's it, I never like to argue, I'm going to the FM2006 world now, bye for now.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:12 AM   #34
Easily amused

I always think I'm the minority, but I would suspect that a lot of Adventure fans didn't consider playing BS3 because it used keyboards. Good game, bad game, it doesn't matter when you don't enjoy keyboard control, since you can't even play it to find out if you like it. Anyhow, at least now I'm including BS4 in my games to keep an eye on (as opposed to writing it off as I did BS3).
And please, spare me the gamepad/how can you be so limiting/direct control is best discussions (been there, done that in far too many threads).
Old 02-05-2006, 05:36 AM   #35
Banned User

My admiration to Revolution for continuing to do what they believe in regardless of the hostility, even ignorance every new adventure game is greeted with nowadays... most especially by adventure gamers.

I look forward to the new title and wish the creative team all the best with it. I would say the cynics be damned, but then that is implicitly true of cynics. I wonder who wrote the music for the promo teaser? It sounded very very much like Philip Glass. I doubt it was, but...

www.adventurecompanion.com
Old 02-05-2006, 06:09 AM   #36

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Quote:
The genre isn't viable for projects that takes 3-5 years without releasing anything meanwhile, and while I don't really wish for it, BASS2 could be the first game that uses a proper direct control system because they had enough time to develop and perfect it.
What about Dreamfall?
Old 02-05-2006, 06:09 AM   #37
Broken Sword Fan

Great news about the point and click, altough I personally didn't mind the direct control in BS3.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:44 AM   #38
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
What about Dreamfall?
The interface? They've developed this new thing called Focus Field, so you wont miss any objects or talking to anyone etc. Perfect for Consoles.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-05-2006, 07:11 AM   #39
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Dunno. I didn't have any trouble with them, but I was using a gamepad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Oh yes and I also like to say that we should just let the team work on game and start the judging when the final game is released.
I agree 100%. (That's a documented statitstic!)

Oh, and as an aside, I find it a little funny that people have such high expectations for BASS2... a game about which NOTHING has been said since it was announced (over 2 years ago now?). Broken Sword 4 was only announced a few months ago and we're already seeing/hearing things about its development, and as Martin pointed out there were huge layoffs at Revolution after BS3. I doubt they're working on a BASS sequel at all.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:22 AM   #40
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I believe they've stated that they're not at the moment. Though I could be wrong, I think tonyw mentioned needing a publisher to fund it .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.