Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/13088-adventure-game-scene-day-wednesday.html)

Wreck 02-01-2006 04:40 AM

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday

http://www.josephgoss.com/sherlock.gif

Kurufinwe 02-01-2006 04:50 AM

You'll have to host the picture elsewhere I'm afraid...

And I absolutely loved that game. Including that particular screen (even though many people complain that it slowed the game down, nag-nag-nag). And the music was great.

RLacey 02-01-2006 05:24 AM

I remember that I never completed this one, but it was still a highly enjoyable experience :).

Kolzig 02-01-2006 05:53 AM

I've never played this one, but I'd really like to.

I remember when I was younger, I read a pictured walkthrough of this game from a games magazine ( :crazy: ) and thought that it's awesome and I want to play it someday.

Wreck 02-01-2006 06:22 AM

re-hosted.

One of my favorite games. The music and soft graphics really did it for me. This game captured london in a wonderful rainy way.

AFGNCAAP 02-01-2006 06:42 AM

I take it that it's The Case of Serrated Scalpel?

Haven't played it. Any comments on whether it manages to do justice to Arthur Conan Doyle's books and characters (rather than being loosely inspired by them to create a different mood and different type of story)? I thought Silver Earring was a real success in that regard.

Kurufinwe 02-01-2006 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
I take it that it's The Case of Serrated Scalpel?

Haven't played it. Any comments on whether it manages to do justice to Arthur Conan Doyle's books and characters (rather than being loosely inspired by them to create a different mood and different type of story)? I thought Silver Earring was a real success in that regard.

It did it rather well. It uses several characters from the books (Holmes, Watson, Lestrade, Gregson, Old Sherman, Toby...), and the plot is what you could expect from a Holmes story, as well as the gameplay (which relies much on observation, finding clues, analysing them, &c.). Holmes is on one of his good days, though; I found him much more 'holmesian' (sc. delightfully obnoxious) in The Rose Tattoo (which, I felt, generally captured the characters better).

Bobske 02-02-2006 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolzig
I've never played this one, but I'd really like to.

I remember when I was younger, I read a pictured walkthrough of this game from a games magazine ( :crazy: ) and thought that it's awesome and I want to play it someday.

I used to buy PC Review magazine and at times I also read part of a walkthrough to see if a game was worth playing. I read part of the walkthrough for Sherlock Holmes (in PC Review?) and like you, I really wanted to play the game! I'm so glad a friend of mine bought the game so we could play together :P

Unfortunately, I can't get it to work anymore :frown:

Kurufinwe 02-02-2006 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobske
Unfortunately, I can't get it to work anymore :frown:

Use DOSBox.

RLacey 02-02-2006 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
Use DOSBox.

Doesn't like it. Didn't on my PC :frown:.

Kurufinwe 02-02-2006 04:35 AM

You're doing something wrong then. :D

Gknight 02-02-2006 05:11 AM

That was a very good game. There was just one small bug.
Spoiler:
The second time you walk over to speak to Lestrade in the police station you disappear.

Wreck 02-02-2006 05:15 AM

There was another bug. I can't remember the location but in one of the shops, if you touched the light fixture hanging from the cieling, the game would shut down.

Bobske 02-02-2006 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
Doesn't like it. Didn't on my PC :frown:.

Off topic :P

Same problem here. Almost every game I tried works with DOSBOX. Unfortunately, this one doesn't. Gonna try it on my "old" AMD XP 1600+ dual boot with WIN98+Dos 6.22 and Windows ME :P