You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A Blast From The Past: Grim Fandango Designer Diary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 05:05 AM   #1
Invoker of tumbleweeds.

Default A Blast From The Past: Grim Fandango Designer Diary

In case anyone is interested, I came across the hilarious Gamespot Designer Diary for Grim Fandango written by Tim Schafer himself back in 1997/8.

I remember reading this Designer Diary back when it was first released, but I'd forgotten about it until today when I decided to replay GF after it had sat for years at the bottom of my computer room cupboard. The diary is as funny and insightful now as it was back when Schafer wrote it. It's packed full of intriguing insights into the gaming creative process as well as juicy tidbits of info regarding the inner workings of Lucasarts studios in the late 90s, and of course it is absolutely dripping with authentic Tim Schafer wit. It makes for a great reading if you've got some time to kill.

Cheers
Old 01-20-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
Gold Elite

Thanks for that.

It saddens me to think that Schafer has such a hard time getting his games published. I mean, surely his name should equal guaranteed investment?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss
It saddens me to think that Schafer has such a hard time getting his games published. I mean, surely his name should equal guaranteed investment?
Surely not, Grim Fandango and Psychonauts are not generally considered as big sellers and Psychonauts was real expansive to make....
Old 01-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramboi
Surely not, Grim Fandango and Psychonauts are not generally considered as big sellers and Psychonauts was real expansive to make....
Actually, I read somewhere that Grim Fandango sold quite well. I think it was Schafer himself who said that.

--Erwin
Old 01-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #5
Doctor Watson

The impression I got from some interviews somewhere (Schafer and... someone else...) was that Grim indeed sold enough copies so that it made profit. It wasn't a blockbuster hit, though.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #6
Lost in Adventure

I guess being a game designer is hardly glamorous.

You can tell he's got a good sense of humor.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramboi
That's not really the point. Seeing as they both got literally universal critical acclaim and heaps of awards lavished upon them, Majesco only really have their own incompetence to blame for not marketing Psychonauts properly (and delaying the European release for a year? I mean wtf?)
Old 01-21-2006, 12:13 AM   #8
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I've always had the idea that Grim Fandango was a sleeper hit.
It didn't sell immediately much, but during a very long period it sold enough.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:43 AM   #9
Under pressure.

It sold more than enough

--Erwin
Old 01-21-2006, 04:59 AM   #10
Grah! Grah!

Thanks for posting this. I read it went it was first posted, then forgot where it was and halfheartedly looked for it every couple of years, concluding in failure. The concept sketch of Manny, Glottis and Meche in the Calavera club is now my wallpaper.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:40 AM   #11
Under pressure.

Those Peter Chan drawings are awesome indeed! This game was great in 3D, but I bet it would've been fantastic in 2D as well.

--Erwin
Old 01-22-2006, 08:33 AM   #12
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuboy
..Majesco only really have their own incompetence to blame for not marketing Psychonauts properly (and delaying the European release for a year? I mean wtf?)
Isn't it THQ's fault the game was delayed in Europe?

And what bad marketing are you talking about? Psychonauts had a million dollar marketing campaign, if I remember correctly.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:43 AM   #13
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Those Peter Chan drawings are awesome indeed! This game was great in 3D, but I bet it would've been fantastic in 2D as well.
But then you probably wouldn't be able to drive things! Vrrrroooooom!
Old 01-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #14
Antibacterial

Send a message via MSN to RemiO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
And what bad marketing are you talking about? Psychonauts had a million dollar marketing campaign, if I remember correctly.
It doesn't really matter how much is spent, when it isn't spent properly. What it comes down to, as far as I'm concerned, is that Majesco didn't have enough experience in the console full-price market, and that became painfully apparent when it came to selling both Psychonauts and Advent Rising.

I don't think Psychonauts would ever have been a giant hit, but it certainly had the potential to sell more than 95,000 copies domestically.