Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Why do so many hate BS3?? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/12859-why-do-so-many-hate-bs3.html)

Hammerite 01-18-2006 08:16 AM

Why do so many hate BS3??

WHY, MAN??
The stealth bits were a great way of stopping it from staying the same and the deaths were less annoying than previous games in the series and I think it rivals BS1.

RLacey 01-18-2006 08:22 AM

The stealth puzzles were annoying (and actually prevented me from completing the game when I went to replay it :crazy: ).

The box puzzles were time-consuming rather than in any way challenging.

You find an item you can pick up, and, unsurprisingly, you get to use it in the next room. This happens so often.

The newspaper-under-door puzzle :shifty:.

It's not a bad game, but it's significantly worse than the previous two. And. before anyone else considers ranting on the matter, I didn't actually mind the move to 3D or the direct-control interface (but then I used a gamepad).

Erwin_Br 01-18-2006 08:25 AM

I didn't mind the 3D either, although if I'm honest I do prefer the 2D artwork in the first two games. But as I said, it didn't bother me enough to dislike the game or anything.

--Erwin

spock84 01-18-2006 10:24 AM

I liked it a lot. It was pretty easy, which I think is good. Nice story, well done dialogues, nice graphics, some action elements. But I agree there were a bit too many box puzzles.

squarejawhero 01-18-2006 10:27 AM

Chalk up another "liked it". The stealth bits were freakin' simple if you used your head and stopped trying to play it like Splinter Cell.

Leonardi 01-18-2006 10:52 AM

Broken Sword 3 was fine, but the crates and boxes were too annoying. If I wanted to play with boxes I'd rather play Sokoban. It was an ok game nonetheless.

SoccerDude28 01-18-2006 10:59 AM

I also really enjoyed BS3. It was a very good enjoyable game, and I had a great time playing it.

Ariel Type 01-18-2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

the deaths were less annoying than previous games in the series and I think it rivals BS1
Are you serious? Those 2 or 3 deaths can hardly be called "annoying".

BS3 had surprisingly uninteresting story, puzzles and, imo, bad control system. It was short, easy and was full of stupid sokoban puzzles. It is still a very well written adventure, with a good atmosphere. But it can't be compared to previous installments.

Kurufinwe 01-18-2006 11:20 AM

I didn't mind the action sequences, or the stealth parts, and even the box puzzles didn't get tedious until rather late in the game, I was rather fond of the bright and colourful graphics, the controls didn't work too bad, but... BUT the plot was terrible, both the clichéd story (which kept getting worse as it progressed), and the bad pacing (alternating between long gameplay sections and sudden 'ok, let's move the plot forward' scenes). And it took itself far too seriously, which was not a wise move on Revolution's part, as Charles Cecil obviously lacks the writing skills for doing completely serious stuff.

Dasilva 01-18-2006 11:59 AM

We don't hate it. We just strongly dislike it. :P

Its a average game, nothing new.

samIamsad 01-18-2006 04:46 PM

Because it paled in comparison to recent super hits such as The Black Mirror, Runaway, you name it.

Captain Blondebeard 01-18-2006 06:37 PM

I liked everything but the ending.

Boneho Chane 01-18-2006 07:32 PM

Broken Sword 1 seemed like this immensely mesmirising and refined vacation with a thrilling and totally gripping story. I seriously felt a little sad when it ended.

Broken Sword 3 seemed like second-rate Indian Jones, save-the-world type thing where the character was trapped in a rather bland and lifeless world.

Both were good games though, Broken Sword 1 was just much better.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-18-2006 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boneho Chane
Broken Sword 1 seemed like this immensely mesmirising and refined vacation with a thrilling and totally gripping story.

A mesmerizing and refined vacation. I love that. :)

Bobske 01-19-2006 05:42 AM

Even though I really liked BS3, I did find the puzzle a bit uninteresting and too simplistic. The crate puzzles were pretty annoying and so were the stealth parts. Adding those stealth parts wasn't a bad idea but they were just too long. I really liked the 3D transfer though. I'm really looking forword to part 4 and definitly hope they get "it" right this time.

Also check out Broken Sword 2.5! http://www.brokensword25.com

Ninth 01-19-2006 05:50 AM

It's been said before, but...

- too many crate puzzles
- a bunch of "push the right button when it flashes on-screen, or get through heaps of unskippable dialogs for the third time"
- ... heaps of unskippable dialogs, sometimes funny, but sometimes not that funny
- the stealth parts are mostly not fun
- the actual inventory puzzles are very few and far between, and so easy it's laughable
- the controls are mostly managable, but uneasy, especially when you have to run for your life. Or maybe that's just poor camera work

I'm not fond of BS1, but it's still better than BS3 by a fair margin.

samIamsad 01-19-2006 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth
- the actual inventory puzzles are very few and far between, and so easy it's laughable

I'd replace "easy" with "not very interesting". Then again, I can't recall the first two games being any difficult in the object "puzzles" area, and not that creative/inventive/exciting anyway (Ironing a collar for the priest so that, uh, well, he agrees to show you the way to some village, anyone?).

Ninth 01-19-2006 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samIamsad
I'd replace "easy" with "not very interesting". Then again, I can't recall the first two games being any difficult in the object "puzzles" area, and not that creative/inventive/exciting anyway (Ironing a collar for the priest so that, uh, well, he agrees to show you the way to some village, anyone?).

No, in fact they not interesting and too easy and there are only a handful of them.

BS1 puzzles didn't strike me as great, but they were still more fun, more varied, and really challenging.

Dobee 01-19-2006 06:22 AM

i was troubled by that turning the poles for shinning the right direction of light beam thing puzzle :P

samIamsad 01-19-2006 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth
BS1 puzzles didn't strike me as great, but they were still more fun, more varied, and really challenging.

Phew, it's been a while (years, in fact) since I played the first one, admittedly. But I've finished playing BS2 a couple of weeks ago (my third run, I think), and there wasn't anything that seemed particularly noteworthy. Sure, the .. argh.. "puzzles" like the one I mentioned above aren't as completely bonkers as some super contrived roadblocks in some other games, but I haven't found anything super hot, either.

edit: In fact, if I remember correctly, BS1 got criticized because it didn't have that much stuff to interact with, errr.. I mean.. PUZZLES, PUZZLES, and , oh PUZZLES (by-the-numbers, please). Only talking, not enough "gameplay". And Revolution tried to address that in the sequel...