You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most unfair score in a review ever?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2006, 04:28 AM   #1
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak
Default Most unfair score in a review ever?

While Moment of Silence got 14/100 by a PC magazine, isnt this even more unfair?

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy recives a D+ (A+ = the best) by Game Revolution... Check it out here:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/ps2/indigo_prophecy

Whats even more funny, is that the members gave it A-

I think the reviewer Mr. Joe_Dodson deserves a .

Last edited by Isak; 01-15-2006 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:31 AM   #2
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak
While Moment of Silence got 14/100 by some shit magazine, isnt this even more unfair?

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy recives a D+ (A+ = the best) by Game Revolution... Check it out here:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/ps2/indigo_prophecy

Whats even more funny, is that the members gave it A-

I think the reviewer Mr. Joe_Dodson deserves a .
Don´t know about Mr. Joe_Dodson, but I sure like his avatar on the review page!
Old 01-15-2006, 04:52 AM   #3
Easily amused

I don't think there is any review that is truly unfair in the strict sense. That's because every reviewer is going to be biased, some a lot more than others. I never put any worth on a review unless I'm familiar with the reviewer's tastes. It's natural to say a review is unfair, if it disagrees with your perception of the game or even if it goes against the general concensus of reviewers. But it only boils done to one person's opinion.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:53 AM   #4

I agree with the reviewer on several of the points regarding Fahrenheit but I don't think it deserved such a low score. Lowest I would give it is in the mid 80's.

The game started out so great but just turned into some cliche superhero crap. It's like they got the whole idea from the Matrix with them throwing fireballs and whatnot at each other and the main character turning into "the One" that alone can save the world.

I kinda agree with the Moment of Silence score though, that game was a pile of crap. Sure it had some decent moments but then it turned into another one of those man vs. machine stories with a sentient supercomputer.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:18 AM   #5
Burning

This bit is interesting

Spoiler:
Immediately after the roller coaster fiasco, Lucas and Carla meet, randomly. Told by Lucas he can "read her thoughts" and that the world is about to end at the hands of the illuminati, she drops her case and her pants, becoming his loyal sidekick.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:27 AM   #6
Dungeon Master

So, which part of the review you disagree with, Isak? Okay, this paragraph is stupid:
Quote:
To limit your shark-like bumping into things, most adventure games use little sparklies that attract you to points of interest as well as quest logs to remind you what you're supposed to be doing. Indigo Prophecy uses neither, and all of the instructions in the game are delivered through dialogue. This serves the game's cinematic presentation, but if one of your friends starts talking to you while you're playing and you miss an important dialogue point, you'll have no idea what you're supposed to be bumping into next.
...for several reasons:
1) What the hell does he mean with the "little sparklies"?
2) Fahreheit has a quest log (admittedly, it could be updated more often, but in fact your average adventure hasn't any, so: huh?)
3) This whole argument is stretched anyway. "If one of your friends starts talking to you"? Come on. Half-Life is a bad game, because if one of your friends starts tickling you while you're playing you'll drop the controller and get killed, right?

However, all the other points the reviewer's making are valid, in my not humble opinion. Arguably, it's an unfair score, plus he could point out more of the original and successful things the game does (though it's not like he hadn't acknowledged its uniqueness and aspirations at all), but I can see nothing outrageous in the body of the review.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:27 AM   #7
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
I don't think there is any review that is truly unfair in the strict sense. That's because every reviewer is going to be biased, some a lot more than others. I never put any worth on a review unless I'm familiar with the reviewer's tastes. It's natural to say a review is unfair, if it disagrees with your perception of the game or even if it goes against the general concensus of reviewers. But it only boils done to one person's opinion.
Exactly, I choosed the wrong word, I didn't mean unfair, I meant that it was very surprising that Fahrenheit got such a low score... And I thought it was ironic that the member score was the oppisite to the reviewers score.

But I agree with you; you should never put any worth on a review unless you're familiar with the reviewer's taste.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:30 AM   #8
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
So, which part of the review you disagree with, Isak?

...However, all the other points the reviewer's making are valid, in my not humble opinion. Arguably, it's an unfair score,
Once again I have prroven to choose the wrong words, I'm gonna be honset, I didn't read every word of the review, just skimmed through it. Gonna change name of the topic!, Because what I meant was: Most unfair score in a review ever? Thanks for helping out!
Old 01-15-2006, 05:31 AM   #9
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak
But I agree with you; you should never put any worth on a review unless you're familiar with the reviewer's taste.
This really sums up the importance of having multiple reviews of any given product .

Personally, I thought that Fahrenheit was a flawed gem. And as for The Moment of Silence, while I might consider it to be worth more than 14% I didn't think that it was a good game. The AG review of it still baffles me, though I can understand that people have very different tastes .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:40 AM   #10
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naveed
This bit is interesting

Spoiler:
Immediately after the roller coaster fiasco, Lucas and Carla meet, randomly. Told by Lucas he can "read her thoughts" and that the world is about to end at the hands of the illuminati, she drops her case and her pants, becoming his loyal sidekick.
Okay, it wasn't exactly like that, but I believe he might have compressed things a bit for a comedic effect (Fahrenheit story does get silly about that point, though). Either that, or he has short attention span, which fits his problems with knowing what to do next. And, to hazard a guess, that is not unlike the average reader of that site, so it's only appropriate.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:41 AM   #11

Quote:
3) This whole argument is stretched anyway. "If one of your friends starts talking to you"? Come on. Half-Life is a bad game, because if one of your friends starts tickling you while you're playing you'll drop the controller and get killed, right?
I think he has a point, myself. I like being able to have some conversations twice, because occasionally, for some reasons, I'd miss some crucial point. And that's not doable in Fahrenheit.

So, to answer the original question, I don't think D- for Fahrenheit is unfair, although I would have graded it higher, because I can see exactly what could put people completely off.

But 14% for Moment of Silence, that's unfair. It suggests that the game has no redeeming quality, when obviously it has an interesting story, nice graphics, good cinematics, and some good puzzles (to mention only the most obvious aspects).
I would grade it 60%, myself.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:43 AM   #12
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
But 14% for Moment of Silence, that's unfair. It suggests that the game has no redeeming quality, when obviously it has an interesting story, nice graphics, good cinematics, and some good puzzles (to mention only the most obvious aspects).
And dull, unending conversations, a broken dialogue tree, illogical and unprompted puzzles, unskippable animations, one of the worst interfaces I've ever seen and drab voice acting .

To each his own .

Old 01-15-2006, 05:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
And dull, unending conversations, a broken dialogue tree, illogical and unprompted puzzles, unskippable animations, one of the worst interfaces I've ever seen and drab voice acting .

To each his own .
Not really, because I happen to agree (except about the interface... what about it?).
But the qualities I listed are present, as well as the flaws you pointed out, so I'd say the score needs to reflect that.
Anything between 40% and 70% would seem fair to me, but 14%?
Old 01-15-2006, 06:00 AM   #14
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Not really, because I happen to agree (except about the interface... what about it?).
But the qualities I listed are present, as well as the flaws you pointed out, so I'd say the score needs to reflect that.
Anything between 40% and 70% would seem fair to me, but 14%?
I didn't mean to suggest that it necessarily deserved a 14% score, and I apologise if I've implied that .

As for the interface problems, not marking exits and camera angle change points was extremely foolish. Having to hold down the "H" key in every location got annoying. That and the fact that the pathfinding was poor, so that I felt like I was constantly fighting the game.

Personally, I'd assign it a score between 30 and 50%, but only because I genuinely see it as a below average game. I agree that it's not broken enough to deserve 14%.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:14 AM   #15
Dungeon Master

Quote:
So, to answer the original question, I don't think D- for Fahrenheit is unfair (...) But 14% for Moment of Silence, that's unfair.
For me, D doesn't "feel" that much better than 14%. Do you suggest that you would grade Fahrenheit lower than Moment of Silence? I never would. (I'd award more than 14% to MoS, though.)

Also, I fully agree with Lacey in post #12 - if you replace "interface" with "pathfinding" and "illogical" with "insufficiently hinted". I'd forgive MoS much, if its shortcomings were a price to pay for a really breathtaking story, but while the premise is interesting, there are so many annoying details that undermine it that it's not even funny.

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 01-15-2006 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:31 PM   #16
kamikaze hummingbirds

me does think that this were a bit harsh
Old 01-15-2006, 02:56 PM   #17
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
That and the fact that the pathfinding was poor, so that I felt like I was constantly fighting the game.
Poor is not a word strong enough to describe it. I remember trying to exit the prison cell in the demo: Click to the left. Nothing. Click to the left again. Nothing. Click all over the left side of the screen like a maniac. Still nothing. Click to the right and he finally moves. To the left.

At that point I uninstalled the demo. I'd still like to play the whole game one day, though, I'm curious about the story.

Anyway, I agree with what AFGNCAAP said, that review of Fahrenheit points out its flaws quite fairly, it's just that the score doesn't seem to reflect what has been said in the review.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #18

I don't remember any reviews giving more than 20% for Phantasmagoria 2, which I've always thought was unfair.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:45 PM   #19

Quote:
For me, D doesn't "feel" that much better than 14%. Do you suggest that you would grade Fahrenheit lower than Moment of Silence? I never would. (I'd award more than 14% to MoS, though.)
I wouldn't, but it doesn't suprise me that some would, because the constant Simon-ing in itself is a gameplay abberation that can very well make some people throw away the game all by itself, and because apparently, the way the story evolves is disgusting some people. Not to mention the fact that some hated the stealth scenes.
If one hates Simon + stealth scenes + the story, then there nothing left in the game.

I don't think the same is true for Moment of Silence. There are some redeeming aspects that one would have to be a bit dishonest not to admit.

My personal grades would be 60% for MOS, and 75% for Fahrenheit (for the griping factor, and the atmosphere).
Old 01-15-2006, 11:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
At that point I uninstalled the demo. I'd still like to play the whole game one day, though, I'm curious about the story.
To be fair, and even though the story gets involving after a time, it's not exceptional, or overly original. It's merely good.

If you hated the demo, I would advise against buying the game, which you would probably end up throwing out of the window. Because exiting your appartement in the game is much much harder than exiting the jail.