You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure King Quest I (Remake ver.) No map, no indicative hotspot.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
Lazi

Default King Quest I (Remake ver.) No map, no indicative hotspot.....

Just started the game, and I'm one of those who will lose my direction even in a parking lot.....I find this game is uneasy for me, because there is no map: I can walk through the same forest endlessly, I can drop to the water easily and die, and I can't go back to the spot easily where I have been to and need to....no need to say, there is no 'shinny' hotspot thing.....how do i know what to do or pick up or use??

Am i demanding too much ? but i've not played any game like this... usually other games won't let you walk endlessly and so you know where are u going.....hmm...any help/hint?
Old 01-13-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
SamNMax

Yeah, the game is pretty tough to navigate through and can be pretty intimidating, making gamers resort to a walkthrough. But don't worry. Just explore and find your way around. You'll get it. Daventry's backcountry is fairly small and is easy to remember.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I'm like you Dobee. I played this game a bit (and haven't gotten back to it). I got lost easily too but like SnM said, if you walk around enough - you will eventually start recognizing landmarks and find your way around. It was also the first game I played where you could die so save pretty often.

If you are really stuck - here's a map. It's basically a square grid.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
SamNMax

Also, a few random events can occur on certain screens so look out for those.

I know, it all sounds kind of intimidating. Save often.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
Lazi

yea....i've played for 3 hrs and is tempted to a walkthru already .......are other KQ in the series all like this???

i think he dies at random sometimes too....there is a witch, sometimes she picks him up, sometimes no.....and a wolf too, sometimes he gets hitten and dies, sometimes no......so confusing to me...

I think i've walked quite a bit, just find it difficult to go back where I want to........Thanks melanie for the map!
Old 01-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #6
SamNMax

Yeah, pretty much all earlyKing's Quest games are like this. But they get a lot better down the line. Plus KQ3 has a map.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:37 PM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

Which remake are you playing... the Sierra remake (with text parser) or the AGDI remake (point and click)? There are not many differences in the gameplay... I'm just curious.

It would be pretty easy to make your own map because the world is a grid. There are only like 16 screens altogether. My dad and I used to draw the maps out on graph paper.

If you fall in the water you just need to swim. I'm not sure how it's done in the point & click remake... maybe by using the hand on the water? In the original game and the Sierra remake, you just type "swim".
Old 01-14-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
Lazi

i'm doing the point and click..and you don't get to swim everytime in water, it depends if it's a river/lake/pond....(you can't, for the river)..and you will die if you stay in water for too long (e.g. in the well) .hmm....

for me, it's probably the-easiest-to-die type of game :p
Old 01-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Yeah, you can't swim in the river or the moat. Only in the lakes.

There is a lot of random dying in this game. The old Sierra games were all like that, and this is a strict remake (they didn't get rid of any of the deaths). In the King's Quest 2 remake they made changes, and it is not as easy to die. They also enhanced the story *a lot*. If you're not enjoying the KQ1 remake, I say you should skip it and go right to King's Quest 2.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:17 AM   #10
Lazi

just feel a bit mad at the random deaths...but now i'm getting used to it and am happy with the map I printed out from internet
unlike other games i've played, there are different ways to accomplish the objectives in KQ 1, which worths me to replay some parts.......at the same time, if i screw in one part (it lets you screw it, unlike other games), i may have to restart before that point, which sucks............
Old 01-16-2006, 06:23 AM   #11

I'd second Fov's advice and say: Draw a map.
That's what I'm doing each time I encounter a maze or something like a maze.

Compared to Riddle of Master Lu or Kyrandia, drawing a map for KQ1 was easy as pie.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:32 AM   #12
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I got put off this game straig away, didnt think i could die by investigating the rock in the second screen

not that I wouldnt try it agian...just kinda disatisfying getting killed right off the bat...
Old 01-16-2006, 08:04 AM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

The fact that the rock could roll "downhill" and flatten you was a really big deal in the 80s.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:21 AM   #14
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Yeah, pretty much all earlyKing's Quest games are like this. But they get a lot better down the line. Plus KQ3 has a map.
However, I found KQ2 VGA a lot easier... better too.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:22 AM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
However, I found KQ2 VGA a lot easier... better too.
That's because AGDI / Tierra took out a lot of the annoying stuff.

The original KQ2 is very, very similar to KQ1.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:37 AM   #16
Lazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
I got put off this game straig away, didnt think i could die by investigating the rock in the second screen

not that I wouldnt try it agian...just kinda disatisfying getting killed right off the bat...
hahaha.....not sure if that's the rock you are talking about, is it the one where you get the dagger under? at first I click on it when I was standing in front of it (instead of behind it-i have to check for this point from a walkthrough) and got crashed, I was like "what the......" but in so many ways you can die sometimes is discouraging for a gamer like me........
Old 01-18-2006, 04:38 AM   #17
Lazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I'd second Fov's advice and say: Draw a map.
That's what I'm doing each time I encounter a maze or something like a maze.

Compared to Riddle of Master Lu or Kyrandia, drawing a map for KQ1 was easy as pie.
i know it could be easy for KQ1, but I'm just being lazy and print out the maps prepared by other people on internet ...... plus I have no sense of direction, even though it's just a world in a grip
Old 01-18-2006, 07:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobee
i know it could be easy for KQ1, but I'm just being lazy and print out the maps prepared by other people on internet ...... plus I have no sense of direction, even though it's just a world in a grip
But, but, drawing maps is fun!

I guess...
Old 01-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #19
Lost in Adventure

Music cues you into when to run off the screen. DON'T try to run away, the safest bet is just to immediately leave the screen. Also, save constantly. Make a concious effort to remember where things are, within 3 hours you should have the map almost "memorized". Otherwise you can always use a printed fan-map.

Yeah, the AGD version is a lot easier.

And generally you die less and from less unavoidable things in the later King's Quests. But dying is part of the fun of playing the older games. If you can't stand playing the earlier King's Quests, try KQ5 or KQ6. Those are GUI and much friendlier to those not used to the older type of games.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:07 AM   #20
Lazi

I finished KQ1, and I LIKE it! Now I just started KQ2 remake....it's much better than KQ1 remake in many ways, the motions, the scripts etc....i guess........more interactions and dialogues with others

I must agree that some deaths are humourous though.....esp when you ignore the warning it gives you and do that action again......

In KQ2,
Spoiler:
there is a bat hole or what with skulls at entrance, did anyone ever see a sqeuence that a batman vehicle running in and out of it and finally crashes??? it's just so stupid.......and what's the point?