You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Have YOU done your bit for adventure games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2005, 08:38 PM   #21

Toefur, well done.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:36 AM   #22
More slaw!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I contribute to this great website every once in a while.
Showoff.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:59 AM   #23
More slaw!!!

Oh well, it was worth a try.

Today I got told not to waste my time categorising it, or keeping it in any sort of order. As long as there are games on the shelf. "Categorising games is just ridiculous". I also got told that if I have time to categorise the games, that it means I haven't been paying enough attention to the things we have to do, and that I haven't spent enough time looking after customers.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:44 AM   #24
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur

Today I got told not to waste my time categorising it, or keeping it in any sort of order. As long as there are games on the shelf. "Categorising games is just ridiculous". I also got told that if I have time to categorise the games, that it means I haven't been paying enough attention to the things we have to do, and that I haven't spent enough time looking after customers.
Would those be the customers who bought things that otherwise wouldn't have sold? Are they the customers who have given money to the shop because you categorised things and made them easier to find? Could they be the customers who, with categorisation, will be able to find the games they like without having to wade through the shelves? Is there a possibility they might be the customers who could be put off buying from the shop if they have to wade through the shelves?

Bad Toefur for neglecting those customers so.
Toefur

Oh, no wait a sec. Your boss seems to be an idiot.
Toefur's boss
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 12-31-2005, 03:20 AM   #25
Explorer of the uncharted

Sheesh.
I'd have fliped if I were you and done something wery drastic and uninteligent.
A job like that with a control-hungry idiot over you is not worth it, however it pays......
Old 12-31-2005, 03:45 AM   #26
Squeaky

Put simply, your boss sucks, Toefur.

Nice try though. It's good to know there are at least a few people like you in mainstream gaming stores (until your superiors discover exactly what you're up to and give you the sack, of course ).

As far as doing my bit goes, the most I can say is that I paid full price for Myst V (collectors' ed.) and Fahrenheit, and generally bought more adventures in the last 12 months than I have in any previous year.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:08 AM   #27
Invoker of tumbleweeds.

It's almost impossible to get my friends to play any computer games, let alone adventures. Although my flatmate was impressed by Still Life, purely due to the fact that it mentioned rape and semen swabs... other than that he couldn't have cared less about it (he's a bit.... strange)
Old 12-31-2005, 04:10 AM   #28
Dungeon Master

Quote:

Does he know anything about computer games? Have you told him your idea actually resulted in selling more copies?

I don't envy you, Toefur. It really sounds like your boss is a classic example of a moron.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:55 PM   #29
Chicken with a bite

Apart from buying as many as I can, I try to promote the sales of adventure games by posting as many newsitems and reviews/previews of adventure games on the website I am a senior editor for. I have also betatested a couple of adventures (1893, Hope Springs Eternal, Scratches, to name a few). I hope this helps a little bit in making sure the genre survives a little bit longer yet.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:13 PM   #30
fire breathing

this makes me want to work in an EB....
Old 01-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #31
More slaw!!!

I argued the point for about ten minutes, at the manager and assistant manager. I think he was most concerned about the fact of what managers from other stores would think of him if we categorised our games.

I told him about the games that had been sitting on the shelves for months, and now sold, the games we sold multiple copies of, etc, etc, he just wasn't interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
Put simply, your boss sucks, Toefur.

Nice try though. It's good to know there are at least a few people like you in mainstream gaming stores (until your superiors discover exactly what you're up to and give you the sack, of course )
I sure ain't gonna be there much longer, though.

These guys really know nothing about PC games anyway, though. It's a pity I'm only a casual, because each time I'm at work I hear them giving out incorrect information to people, it's so bad some of the stuff they say.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #32
swears in longhand

Default bad info

Toefur,

My old assistant manager at my store used to flat out make stuff up too. Would give advice and tech tips on stuff he knew nothing about. Of course he would also call himself the co-manager instead of the assistant. He got canned along the way.

Too bad about the rearranging experiment though. Sorry to hear that. Heck my store was so dead at times during the year if my employees took it upon themselves to be that useful I'd buy them a soda or at least gape in awe. It sure beat the heck out of them sitting around reading the latest magazine.

Cheers to Toefur for at least trying to further the struggle of Adv. Games!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #33
scribeswindow

Quote:

I find this very interesting. My local games store is EB games, and I have been so frustrated by them I have been thinking of sending a letter of complaint. Perhaps a better way of doing this is sending a letter of complaint to EB's head office, thus encompassing ALL the stores, and their poor selection of adventure games. My complaint in particular is the said poor selection, but also the staff. Sad, sulky faced people, obviously not enjoying their job, and gladly telling me that they don't have the game I want in stock, but I can get it online. Thus sending the problem away. I think you can guess I'm a bit fed up by them. Anyway, thanks for allowing me to rant, and if you feel inclined to provide me (us) with head office details, I will happily oblige with a nicely worded letter of complaint.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:55 AM   #34
More slaw!!!

Funny thing that. It's been trying to get head office and HR details myself, and I work there. Will get you some details though, and post them here. It's a good idea to send any complaints to HR or Head Office rather than the store in question because the letter will get more attention than if you sent it to the store itself, imho.

I often tell people to try online for games they are looking for that we don't have, because it's their best bet. EB, or any store really (Except some Game Traders which still have some older traded in games), really don't have a very large selection both instore, and actually available to them. I guess this is because they don't do older games that are out of print, but still, it is very limited.