You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure How to appreciate a fine adventure?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2005, 09:08 AM   #21
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

stuboy, I just played Photopia and loved it. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:35 AM   #22

I think Gabriel Knight is a tough game to begin an adventure with, but maybe that's just me.

It's important to note that adventure games do exist in a variety. Some are mysterious and have a more serious tone to them ( Gabriel Knight, Laura Bow ) whereas others are comical and humorous ( Sam n Max, Monkey Island ). Each of these games require different kinds of thinkings to solve puzzles. Perhaps you might want to find out if you prefer a logical, serious method of solving things or perhaps a semi-logical ( i wouldn't say illogical though some things in Sam n Max can be classified as so ) innovative way to solving things.

Another point is whether you prefer games that involve alot of dialogue or alot of puzzles? Some people prefer engaging with the NPCs and exploring the "world" they are in and thus making it easier for one to pick up clues which may be hidden in the conversations. Some games don't really allow that, by exploring too much it may result in you getting killed. Some games however just make you want to keep searching for more and more things and exploring further and further. I guess it's the engagement factor.

For starter's, you might want to try Sam n Max : Hit the road. It's light hearted, extremely funny though it's story-line may not be as intriguing as others. Or perhaps, if you don't want to get engaged too deeply in puzzles, Curse of Monkey Island is great! Though I prefer the first 2 instalments, CMI was a pretty engaging experience for me.

I do agree that those that have been playing adventure games for some time tend to be able to be geared more to solving puzzles. I wouldn't say easier, but at least they are more familiar to what's required of them. But that's not to say that if you haven't played any adventure games you shouldn't try. Try it!

Hope you find an engaging game soon
Old 12-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #23
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

While reading and posting in the other related thread, I had a thought.

Moriarty, is there any way you could pick out one of the adventures you've played and describe one or two of the puzzles you had trouble with? Point out what part of the game's approach to the puzzle you had problems with, and then describe an example of what you wish the game would have done instead. Maybe that can get us all on the same page?

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 12-18-2005, 12:51 PM   #24
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Thanks, Jeysie, but the thread so far has already given me enough food for thought. I'll definitely keep UHS handy whenever I play another one. You guys are great, thanks!

Last edited by MoriartyL; 12-19-2005 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:08 PM   #25
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
stuboy, I just played Photopia and loved it. Thanks.
I guess freeware Interactive Fiction scene is something you should have a closer look into, then. As stuboy said, check out the rest of Adam Cadre's work (on his website he classifies them as either games or stories, which should help you choose those without as little "obstructive" puzzles as possible). Also consider:
  • Galatea - a game experience entirely devoted to an interaction with a single character)
  • Shade
  • Slouching towards Bedlam - if such thing as invisible interface is possible in text games at all, Slouching has it. Even such convenances as saving and loading make sense in the story's context. Another nice touch is a bit of replayabality.
  • Spider and Web. This one is the most game-y of the ones listed, but I can not help mentioning it - it's one my favourite games, ever. You can "see" the puzzles through it, but (except for the very end, perhaps) they are based on understanding the story you play rather than the surroundings. You'll see what I mean.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:30 PM   #26

I don't know about you people, but I play adventure games for the dialogue and the story. The dialogue is the meat of the game, I had an absolute pleasure in playing games like Monkey Island, Sam and Max, Longest Journey, Discworld 2, etc. because of the dialogue. I like to examine each little thing getting a hilarious or intriging response from the likeable protagonists. The stories plotwise are not the greatest, but the way they unfold is uncomparable to movies or books because of the interactivity. The problem is when I get a new quest, ie. collect items, I go insane. Fortunately, I have a new appreciation for this gameplay style thanks to Discworld 2, in which Rincewind continually makes fun of the genre. "What kind of moron would go on a quest collecting pointless items just to get to the same senario in which they were so close to achieving in the first place? Oh, that would be me." "Open door, take axe, kill dragon, why couldn't I live in the old days of text adventures?" Ah Rincewind, how I pity you.