Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/12081-adventure-game-scene-day-wednesday.html)

Wreck 11-30-2005 04:02 AM

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday

http://www.la-aventura.net/img/longbow_006.jpg

Kurufinwe 11-30-2005 04:20 AM

We should get Conquests of the Longbow screenshots every day. :) I love that game, must have played it a dozen times and can't get tired of it.

(and I loved the monastery; great mood, and lots of fun things to do, with the gemstones, the stone heads, the manuscripts to read... :9)

Kolzig 11-30-2005 05:07 AM

One more Sierra game that I have never played...

Ninth 11-30-2005 05:18 AM

Ditto.
But it's also one of the rare Sierra game that I haven't played but am interested to play.

Toefur 11-30-2005 08:27 PM

You guys should definately play this one. One of the best!

Jake 11-30-2005 10:21 PM

Is there a scene of the day archive anywhere?

Tobbe 11-30-2005 11:00 PM

Has Sierra re-released this game? Can you buy it from their webstore?

fov 11-30-2005 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake
Is there a scene of the day archive anywhere?

This is one situation where the search function works pretty well. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_manelius
Has Sierra re-released this game? Can you buy it from their webstore?

That'll be the day. :shifty: Try ebay.

Melanie68 11-30-2005 11:11 PM

I found this website through Amazon.com (it is a page from
Christy Marx's main site).

http://www.christymarx.com/writing/robin.htm

I'm not sure if it's OK (mods?).

fov 11-30-2005 11:45 PM

Since it's being offered by the game's designer, I'm willing to ignore that link completely. ;)

*looks the other way*

Kurufinwe 12-01-2005 12:00 AM

You'll absolutely need the manual too to play the game.

Melanie68 12-01-2005 12:08 AM

I have a question. One of those games on Ebay right now is the EGA version. Is that posted screen from the EGA game or is there a VGA version?

fov 12-01-2005 12:22 AM

The box shot on Christy Marx's website has a VGA sticker on it, so there must have been a VGA version. :) The graphics in the screenshot Wreck posted are VGA graphics.

For comparison's sake - these are from a different game (KQ5), but from around the same time period.

EGA graphics
VGA graphics

Melanie68 12-01-2005 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
The box shot on Christy Marx's website has a VGA sticker on it, so there must have been a VGA version. :)

The graphics in the screenshot Wreck posted look like VGA graphics to me.

Thanks Emily.:) I didn't look at that box shot very closely. If I were to bid on one of those, I think I'd want the VGA.

Junkface 12-01-2005 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
For comparison's sake - these are from a different game (KQ5), but from around the same time period.

EGA graphics
VGA graphics

Damnit! Now KQ5 VGA looks all washed out to me...

Burge 12-02-2005 08:00 AM

There's a King Quest 5 in EGA?

Jake 12-02-2005 08:48 AM

Wow that game looks so suspicious now. I remember KQ5 blowing me away when I first saw it... I think other than Wing Commander 2 it was the first VGA game I saw.

BerserkerTails 12-02-2005 09:32 AM

Man, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Conquests of the Longbow is one of Sierra's best. And as for that link, I'm certainly appreciative of it since my new laptop doesn't have a floppy disk drive (Not to mention my disks probably don't even work anymore), heh.

fov 12-02-2005 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burge
There's a King Quest 5 in EGA?

Apparently so. :) When they first made the move to VGA graphics, Sierra often also released an EGA version for people who didn't have the capability of playing the VGA. (There is also a version of KQ5 for NES...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake
Wow that game looks so suspicious now. I remember KQ5 blowing me away when I first saw it... I think other than Wing Commander 2 it was the first VGA game I saw.

I'm pretty sure KQ5 was my first VGA game. It was also the first Sierra game I played on the Mac... up until then we had an Apple IIGS. I remember being blown away by some of the things they did with perspective, like when Cedric the owl is looking down on Graham near the beginning of the game, and close-ups later on of the wizard's fingers holding the (shrunken) Alexander by the scruff of the neck. It was also the first game that had a "detail" meter that you could crank up or down - if it was higher the game might run slower, but there were details like moving water in streams, and more townspeople walking around. If you put the detail down, these things weren't there (but the game ran faster). I wish games today had these options...

RLacey 12-02-2005 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
It was also the first game that had a "detail" meter that you could crank up or down - if it was higher the game might run slower, but there were details like moving water in streams, and more townspeople walking around. If you put the detail down, these things weren't there (but the game ran faster). I wish games today had these options...

They do. It's called changing the resolution, texture detail level and polygon density ;).