You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 06:09 PM   #21
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
They do. It's called changing the resolution, texture detail level and polygon density .

I was talking about adding or leaving out NPCs based on the user's detail setting.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:12 PM   #22
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

I was talking about adding or leaving out NPCs based on the user's detail setting.
And why would you want to do that? In most games the NPCs that are present are needed by the game, and removing them would alter the way in which the game was played. The rest get complained about regardless of whether the game runs slowly with them or not.

I suppose you could lower the draw distance, which would have the effect .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:52 PM   #23
More slaw!!!

I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a version of KQ5 that shipped with EGA support. I'm pretty sure that most SCI1 (I think that's the one) never had EGA support. Except for one. There was one, but I can't remember which one. In that one there was an EGA driver file, and all you had to do to get EGA support in other Sierra VGA games was to copy that file to the other game directories and it would let you choose EGA or VGA and then the game would work (though sometimes not so well - some games, like PQ3 you couldn't see the mouse cursor if you set it to EGA).

I know this because I think I was the only person to have an EGA monitor and I was determined to play Sierra games.

Oh. I know. It was Space Quest 5 that had the EGA support.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:56 PM   #24
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a version of KQ5 that shipped with EGA support.
And the screenshot of KQ5 in EGA doesn't make you reconsider?
Old 12-02-2005, 10:47 PM   #25
More slaw!!!

Well, no actually.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a version of KQ5 that shipped with EGA support. I'm pretty sure that most SCI1 (I think that's the one) never had EGA support.
That's simply wrong. The early SCI1 games came in two different versions (by that, I mean: in two different boxes), using either EGA or VGA. My Conquests of the Longbow says it explicitly on the box (says that it's the VGA version, and that people should buy the EGA version instead if that's what they want), and I think that was also true of KQ5 and quite a few others. So, it's true that the versions that most people own have no EGA support, but only because the EGA versions were sold separately.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 12-03-2005, 12:33 AM   #27
More slaw!!!

Maybe it was different in Australia? We tried -really- hard to get ones that would work on our computer and we were told time and time again that there were none... hence why I had to discover the other way of doing it myself and buying VGA versions anyway.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:38 AM   #28

Eh, I didn't say the EGA versions were widespread! I've never seen one myself; all I know is that they exist. But you're probably right in thinking they never bothered exporting them outside the US.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 12-03-2005, 12:50 AM   #29
More slaw!!!

Mind you; for my 10th birthday I got a copy of Space Quest 1 remake that actually said on the box that it supported EGA. It didn't. The shop we got it from never gave us a refund either, because their techs tried it on their computers (which were obviously VGA) and it worked, thus claiming there was nothing wrong with the game.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:25 AM   #30
Retired Buccaneer

A few years back I was into collecting Space Quest games and managed to track down a couple of these EGA versions of VGA games.

In particular I got my hands on SQ4 EGA and the SQ1 remake in EGA (yes, it does really exist). Haven't touched either one in a while, now, but I could always install them again if you want screenshots.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:05 PM   #31
More slaw!!!

They must have had very limited production runs. If it's not too much of a hassle, I wouldn't mind seeing some screenshtos from them. From the KQ5 screenies, I get the impression that the graphics actually may look a lot different than my improvised method of getting them to display on EGA.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:18 PM   #32
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Stupid question: What is the difference between "EGA" and "VGA"?
(I'm used to "RGB" color in 16, 256, "Thousands", and "Millions", so I don't know about other formats)

Share the love.

<3
Old 12-03-2005, 07:44 PM   #33
Elegantly copy+pasted

EGA and VGA are two old technologies for computer graphics. For game purposes, EGA corresponds to 16-color graphics, while the more advanced VGA supported 256 colors. However, both standards supported a variety of resolutions and color depths.

Since VGA we haven't had a universal standard for computer graphics. Nowadays, as long as your video card has a Windows driver you're good to go. In fact VGA is still the default fallback for when your driver isn't installed or isn't working.

Oh, and Wikipedia is your friend for answering questions like this.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:35 PM   #34
Retired Buccaneer

Toefur: You're in luck! Your question inspired me to replay my old copies of SQ4EGA and SQ1 remake EGA. So now I can post some screenshots here for you.

WARNING: these pictures will take a while to load for dialup users. If you happen to be one, you might want go grab a sandwich.

Moderators, if you want to turn these into links, feel free: I just typed the post this way and am currently too sleepy to bother changing it.

Spoilers below for SQ1 and SQ4, but I doubt anyone will care.

Pictures from SQ1 remake EGA:

The Arcada's scientific data cartridge library

Roger in the Arcada airlock/spacesuit room

The escape pod

This warp-speed effect is different in the VGA version, but I once saw a magazine showing the EGA effect in a VGA screenshot.

These acid drips are a pain: fortunately I managed to apply the NewRisingSun patch to this EGA version

Buying a droid at Ulence Flats

Escaping the Deltaur

Pictures from SQ4 EGA:

The SQ4 title logo: unlike the VGA logo it's based on the original SQ1EGA box art.

The subtitle.

Vohaul's recorded message

Roger falling through the time rip. No multicolored tunnel here!

Roger ponders stealing a timepod

The planet Estros

Another hologram of Vohaul

Roger in the Galaxy Galleria mall

Roger and Roger Jr. shake hands at the end

One thing I did notice that the SQ4 EGA animation is a lot cleaner-looking than the VGA animation: Roger has visible eyes when he walks, instead of a red blob for a face, for example.

Last edited by ATMachine; 12-03-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:04 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
(There is also a version of KQ5 for NES...)
Quite an ugly-looking version, unlike KQ1's Sega Master System version, which was kinda cute (and point and click too!!)
Old 12-07-2005, 10:08 AM   #36
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Huh? wait, scene of wednesday...but whats this if wednesday is here
Old 12-07-2005, 10:13 AM   #37
Shady AGP

Send a message via AIM to Wreck

This post is last wednesday - 35 responses has kept it up current
www.josephgoss.com
Old 12-08-2005, 03:00 AM   #38

Best make sure this Wednesday doesn't touch its future self or it could cause a giant paradox thingy....