You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Paintings and other art in Adventure games (Warning: Heavy picture load)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2005, 04:44 AM   #41
Life and times of...

I'm surprised no one still hasn't posted anything from Gabriel Knights...
Old 11-30-2005, 10:35 AM   #42
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax
I can't remember TLJ looking THAT good. Is this from the sequel?
The game stretches everything to buggery. I'm afraid we won't see this scene in Dreamfall in all its glory, since Venice looks all dark and even more run down than it already was.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:36 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
I'm surprised no one still hasn't posted anything from Gabriel Knights...
I was tempted to, but it would mean I'd have to reinstall it and find the programmes which allow them to run and get the screen shot and *groans* effort
Old 11-30-2005, 10:48 AM   #44
Explorer of the uncharted

Don't worry... I might just do that soon
Old 12-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Gah! I should have seen that coming. Of course I know what a mare is. After all, I made that picture for Mares birthday, with a Mare bathing in the Sea (which can also be called "Mare").

That's what you get when you are not a native speaker. You speak the language, but you sometimes have to get around a few corners to get some jokes. I guess the same effect happens if I ask you if you know what "StilblĂĽten" are.

But the thing that really makes me smack my head is that I actually had seen this pun before. When I was in 6th grade we drew the monsters from an AD&D Monster Manual, for a wall patchwork in Art. I drew an Unicorn, and later borrowed the book to make some copies of some Monsters I liked, in order to draw them later. One of them was a Monster called "Nightmare". And even though back then I just thought of the name as a name (I knew what it meant too), I later drew the connection between the name and the monster myself. The Monster was a jet black horse, thin so that it's ribs were showing, with flaming hooves and red, pupil-less eyes: A Night-Mare.
Actually, the Night-mare shown as a horse is not a pun: Contrary to popular belief, the mare in Night-mare derives from mara, an Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse term for a demon that sits on the victim of a bad dream. Night-mares are seen in famous works like Shakespeare's Macbeth, and appear like a horse because mara were said to ride horses and become sweaty and tired, so when sitting on a chest the sleeper will become wet or moist. So with the picture up above, called "Nightmare," the demon rode the horse to the house and sat on the sleeper. That is why the horse appears outside of the room.

References: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mara_%28folklore%29
Old 12-04-2005, 03:13 PM   #46
Gaming Art Historian

Default WARNING 56Kers BEWARE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
So to finally get off my lazy keister and answer your question. All of the artwork in Still Life was designed by Daniel Perron. I found this review of the game which I thought was an interesting take on the game in its focus on the art (regardless of whether or not you agree with the positive review .)

I can't find anymore artwork online and I don't have the game loaded anymore to get screenshots. It's all very beautiful.

When you get there, it's really cool!! I wish I could have explored it more.
I really loved the art work in Still Life. When I was playing it, it reminded me of Francis Bacon's work, I wonder if Daniel Perron drew inspiration from Bacon...?

I mean just look at some of Bacon's stuff, those of you that played Still Life will probably draw the similarities.

I remember exploring the art gallery in the game to the full extent, as if I was actually in the gallery... it was just too awesome

P.S. Sorry for such a huge post.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:15 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishale
I remember exploring the art gallery in the game to the full extent, as if I was actually in the gallery... it was just too awesome
That was one of the best part of the game. The other being Ackerman's workshop.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:55 AM   #48
Explorer of the uncharted

They should make more "art-theemed" games
And Francis Bacon was a genius! A master Expressionist and an atheist to boot!

Last edited by NcroManiac; 12-05-2005 at 10:01 AM.