You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Fahrenheit - No doubt MY adventure of the year!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
Gombeto

Default Fahrenheit - No doubt MY adventure of the year!

It's just WICKED game... The absolute adventure game of the year. There haven't been something like it for a years! My adventure experience proves that the most innovative, biggest, successful etc. games from this genre are the 3D ones! Games like Gabriel Knight 3, Grim Fandango and many others they're in 3D are nearly always successful! They could not have the beauty of the 2D ones, but they has smth more exciting ya know... I mean, I've played some 3D adventures, and and by chance they're always with great storyline, graphics, gameplay etc.

Summary I mean that I love playing 3D adventure games. That'z cuz they're rare, they're unique, they're exciting. I love that adventure games like Fahrenheit are being released rare, cuz if they are we'll get tired of them as I'm (sometimes) with the 2D ones. Anyway, I love adventuregaming, I play only this genre - for those they considered I don't like it.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:45 PM   #2
merely human

I kinda don't qualify to say it, but I would probably recommend it as AGOTY, too. But mostly because it explores things the genre at large is typically too afraid to, and it explores them deeply.

Hmmm, know that I think about it, I should instead nominate it as Most Innovative Adventure Game Of The Year.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-26-2005, 03:29 AM   #3
After 2 years...

One of the great games but i would hardly name it, "best adventure of the year".

Of course, on the other hand, i can't seem to find any other game to give that title to.

Quote:
Most Innovative Adventure Game Of The Year.
would work best, true.
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 11-26-2005, 06:03 AM   #4
Gombeto

Yea, but there were not any adventures better than Fahrenheit released this year, right? If NiBiRu or Still Life are better then I'm a dork ;-)

Anyway, I DO think there is a big progress in adventure gaming these days.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:04 AM   #5
Explorer of the uncharted

Most Innovative: Fahrenheit

Best overall: Still Life, Phenix Wright, Trauma Center, Bone or Another Code.

Last edited by NcroManiac; 11-26-2005 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:50 AM   #6
gin soaked boy

It's definitely the adventure game of the year for me, but I'm still disappointed with it. It was this close to being the best game this year (and not only this year), regardless of genre, and then they screw it up so badly. Better luck next time, folks.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:46 AM   #7

Mine's Phoenix Wright, easily. I was hoping this would be my adventure of the year, but it was just too flawed in too many crucial ways.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:09 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Indigo is my game of the year, period.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #9
Staff Member

Still-bloody-impossible-worse-ending-than-Fahrenheit-Life? You must be joking. I've not played Phoenix Wright, but it's either that or Fahrenheit.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:48 PM   #10

Also my game of the year but it would be easier to decide if the ending wasn't so fkdup.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:25 AM   #11

Some people may love Farenheit, others hate the repetetive game-play. Everybody ia allowed to form his or her own oppinion. What everybody should be able to agree on however is the fact that it hardlay qualifies as an adventure game. It is a game, true, and it is story driven, true, but that does not automatically make it an adventure game.

Last edited by jeld; 11-27-2005 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:30 AM   #12
Epinionated.

^ You're entering a world of pain, son.

*edit* Not a threat, but a quote.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:18 AM   #13
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeld
Some people may love Farenheit, others hate the repetetive game-play. Everybody ia allowed to form his or her own oppinion. What everybody should be able to agree on however is the fact that it hardlay qualifies as an adventure game. It is a game, true, and it is story driven, true, but that does not automatically make it an adventure game.
It's also driven by contextual actions, much like a text adventure (although they are spelled out and very much more limited), it incorporates some basic exploration in between plot advancement, and there's a lot of usage of dialogue trees (if unconventional ones). All this is simplified, sure, but it does come from adventures in addition to being merely story-driven. The overuse of other types of gameplay as minigames is hardly typical, but it doesn't have any impact on the classification whatsoever. (You can throw any type of minigames into any type of game without affecting the main gameplay.)

On the other hand, the cinematography and camera techniques, reliance on acted performances, constantly moving plot and mainstream target are inherited from film. These give the game a much different flavor, but they're really just superficial. At its core, it definitely qualifies as an adventure game. Even so, the most accurate description of the game would be "adventure-film hybrid".

EDIT: Just to clarify, when I say the movie elements are "superficial", I mean that they don't change the classification and are more a matter of style than Form. Obviously they are relevant, which is why I call Fahrenheit a hybrid.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:46 AM   #14
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Contextual actions are from text adventures, but I really don't see how this applies, since other genres have so readily used them. There are many cases in RPGs, FPS, Platformers, and Action-Adventures, where the action is determined by the context.

The same goes for dialogue trees, not all adventures use them, and RPGs use them a lot, far more than Fahrenheit does. Fahrenheit doesn't use dialogue trees a lot, IMO there are hardly any conversations in the game compared to a dialogue heavy game such as The Longest Journey or The Shadow of the Templars.

A mini-game such as in Jade Empire is a mini-game because it's clearly set outside of the main game, and is obviously not the majority of the game's focus. In Fahrenheit, there are two basic types of mini-game, and one of them makes up the majority of the gameplay. As far as I can see the adventure elements in this game are limited to four scenes in the beginning of the game, and the adventure elements are very rare in the majority of the game.

Last edited by Aj_; 11-27-2005 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #15
capsized.

Ok, move this to the general gaming forums already! (My adventure of the year is gonna be CoC..... hopefully ).
Old 11-27-2005, 11:51 AM   #16
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeld
Sorry, but I don't think you're in a position to tell me what I 'should' agree on. I think Fahrenheit boldly represents one new direction adventure games can and should go in. And I emphasize 'one new direction'. This is what annoys me, that adventure games are supposed to be 'only this or that'. Where is it written in stone that it must be that way? There should always be diversity within the umbrella of what the 'genre' is capable of offering.

And that Fahreinheit may not offer desirable gameplay or other features many adventure gamers have been used to shouldn't necessarily invalidate it in light of more 'traditional' adventure games, nor should it invalidate more 'traditional' adventure games. What it should do, and does, is prove how possible it is do have diversity and new directions for story driven, intellectually and even emotionally challenging games.

Fahrenheit has just as much right to be an adventure game as Still Life.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-27-2005, 02:15 PM   #17

TBH, although I thought the game was immense while playing it through for the first time, it has no replayability really. There isn't as much freedom as you would expect from a game that's pitched as being to innovative and boundary pushing.
I think that's what stops me from truly loving the game, although I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time around.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:30 PM   #18
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Fahrenheit has just as much right to be an adventure game as Still Life.
In your opinion.

You were doing very well up to there at not making a statement of fact .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-27-2005, 02:38 PM   #19
merely human

Looks like it's Pick On Trep Day for you again.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:40 PM   #20
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Looks like it's Pick On Trep Day for you again.
Sorry. Don't take it personally. Please?

I'm just getting a little sick of the "BUT IT'S AN ADVENTURE GAME!", "OH NO IT'S NOT!" conversations over Fahrenheit. If it's any consolation, I happen to agree with you .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.