You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 7th Guest and 11th Hour....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2005, 09:06 PM   #1

Default 7th Guest and 11th Hour....

Does anyone remember these two games from way back for the PC? The 11th Hour is the sequel. I bought both of them and they never really worked good on my computer. I always wanted to play really bad though. What did you think?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:26 AM   #2
Master of time and space

I bought them both cheap, but haven't gotten around to playing them.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:27 AM   #3

They're both a collection of logic puzzles, some fun and original, others boring and clichéd. The second one also had a huge amount of treasure hunting sequences; you may enjoy them if you're into cryptic crosswords. There's also some sort of plot in-between, but the story is bland and the acting so bad it might almost be funny. At the time, the graphics were The Best Thing Ever, but that was a decade ago. The soundtrack was really nice; it was composed for a Roland Sound Canvas, though, and the cheap General MIDI chipsets you find in today's computers probably won't do it justice.

Running them might be a tad tricky. Well, the first one runs fine under DOSBox, if you know how to use that. I'm not sure about the second one; last time I tried, several months ago, I was unable to get it to run under DOSBox (graphics card problems); maybe it works better now, possibly with the current development version. I also believe there was some sort of not-quite-official Windows port of the game's interpreter; I have no idea how well it works (if at all), though. Google is your friend.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 11-14-2005, 01:57 AM   #4

I loved the 7th guest even if I had to use a walkthru most of the time the 11th hour is not that good, but it has multiple endings. the music, btw, is great, but again, mostly only in t7g. you should pop the 2nd cd into a cd player and listen to it (it has an almost 30 minute long audio track on it while the 1st cd only has the great violin solo as an audio track).
Old 11-14-2005, 05:07 AM   #5
Bad command or file name

Or you can pick up the CD "7/11" by the Fat Man (George Sanger) and Team Fat. I really loved his work in these games and the CD is a fantastic showcase! I know the have copies over at www.synsoniq.com if you don't mind buying from Germany and paying for international shipping. If you want to order it from the states, head over to www.fatman.com. He has links to buy the CD through Texas Music Roundup or something.

I agree with the above post. I loved the first game. I even played through it about a year ago on my DOS computer and had a great time with it even after all these years. I had trouble getting into the 2nd one. Eventually gave up about half way through. Some day I'll give it another go.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 05:25 AM   #6
Chris Barraclough

11th Hour was the first game I bought on CD-ROM, to see how my new PC handled video. I had to use a walkthrough for pretty much every treasure-hunting bit of it. I was a bit gutted by the lack of gore in it, I thought it would have decapitations and murders all over the place. Then I got Phantasmagoria and realised graphic vioence doesn't really mean a game will be any good.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 11-16-2005, 01:24 AM   #7

Never heard of them. Are they anything like Mario Bros?
Old 11-16-2005, 04:45 AM   #8
Bad command or file name

They're EXACTLY like Mario Bros only in these games, you walk very very slowly around a pre-rendered mansion and solve puzzles and word problems rather than running around levels and bouncing on or shooting fireballs at enemies and sliding down flagpoles. It's more of an evolution of the Mario gameplay than anything. Other than that, they're almost identical. If imitation is the sincearest for of flattery then... something something blah blah something.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 05:03 AM   #9

Default The 11th hour music

Does anyone know if there is a site you can download the 11th hour music ?
there are music sites for many adventure games but I couldn't find one for this game.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:17 AM   #10
Bad command or file name

None that I can think of off the top of my head. I highly recommend the soundtrack CD. Also, you can put disc 2 of the orginal T7G in a normal CD player to listen to the music. Just skip track 1 which is the game data.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 06:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maester
Does anyone know if there is a site you can download the 11th hour music ?
there are music sites for many adventure games but I couldn't find one for this game.
Errrm... Google is your friend? (see esp. 1st or 3rd link)

Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 11-16-2005, 07:55 AM   #12

Default 11th hour music

Well I meant the original audio files, not the midi ones.
anyway, does anyone know on which CD the 11th hour music files are?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maester
Well I meant the original audio files, not the midi ones.
anyway, does anyone know on which CD the 11th hour music files are?
Most of the game's music was MIDI. There were some digital ones (some with voices) which can be accessed in the 'making of' section of the game. I tried extracting them some while ago, but was unable to (using GAP).

I think all of them are on the 7/11 CD anyway.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:56 PM   #14

I heartily recommend the Fat Man's Soundtrack to T7G and T11, 7/11.
Too bad these games never got ported to Mac OS X... GRAEME DEVINE!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 11:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty
They're EXACTLY like Mario Bros only in these games, you walk very very slowly around a pre-rendered mansion and solve puzzles and word problems rather than running around levels and bouncing on or shooting fireballs at enemies and sliding down flagpoles. It's more of an evolution of the Mario gameplay than anything. Other than that, they're almost identical. If imitation is the sincearest for of flattery then... something something blah blah something.

...bysmitty
I enjoyed 7th guest much more than killing Koopa even though the princess was hot.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
Running them might be a tad tricky. Well, the first one runs fine under DOSBox, if you know how to use that.
Care to explain how you did it? I tried, but couldn't get it to work.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Care to explain how you did it? I tried, but couldn't get it to work.
As far as I can remember, it's standard DOSBox procedure. Requires the CD-ROM (with red book audio for the intro and the credits), General MIDI for the music and SoundBlaster (possibly SB16, though I'm not sure of that) for the audio.

If you don't know how to enable and set up all that, see the DOSBox readme, the DOSBox wiki and the various guides in the official DOSBox forums. Everything is explained there in great detail.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:51 AM   #18
Bad command or file name

How to get dosBox to run? Well first you exit out of windows xp and walk away from your bleeding fast super computer. You grab a 10-15 year old PC and load Dos6 and Win3.1 on it. Next get you peripherals installed (such a sound and video for those lush 256color VGA graphics and those drool enducing digital sound effects). And then you load the dos game of your choice on it. Wa-La!!! You just created a dosBox.

PII - 266mhz / 128mb RAM / 6 gig HD / Dos 6 & Win3.1

Intel 486/33 / 16mb RAM / 600mb HD / Dos 6 & Win3.1

:wink: I know how non-feasable this might be for most people but if you have the space and the few resources it takes, it's a great solution for running older games.

Ok class, our next lesson will be running spreadsheets off of a dumb termal hooked to a mainframe.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 11-18-2005, 03:41 AM   #19
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxel1
I heartily recommend the Fat Man's Soundtrack to T7G and T11, 7/11.
Too bad these games never got ported to Mac OS X... GRAEME DEVINE!!!
I love his work. I especially like the soundtrack he made for Wing Commander 3.

--Erwin
Old 11-18-2005, 04:49 AM   #20
Bad command or file name

Quote:
I love his work. I especially like the soundtrack he made for Wing Commander 3.
The Fat Man is also a genius and a great dresser.

If you want a good read, check out his new book. It is seriously one of the funniest and most entertaining thing I've read in years.

...bysmitty

(Okay Fat Man, I plugged your book, now where is my $5!?!)
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!