You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best/Worst Adventure Game Ending

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
SamNMax

Default Best/Worst Adventure Game Ending

Best:
Monkey Island 2. No, I'm not kidding. It was brilliant and it was different. It contributed to the game's dark atmosphere that fit the game so well, and it dared to be different. Now, I know people are going to go off with their "OMGWTF THERE WAS NO GUARANTEE OF AN MI3 LOL". So what? It would've been a great ending to the series. Quit your belly achin'.

Worst:
The Crystal Key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hoelscher
And to reward me for persevering despite my considerable apathy, at the end I was treated to a single static screen congratulating me on saving the universe...not even a single floating head appeared to utter a word of thanks. Fortunately, countless years of performing thankless tasks have prepared me for this. You might not be so lucky.

Old 11-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #2
Mostly absent

Don't sweat it. I love the MI2 ending also.

Worst: Fahrenheit.

Well, if you can call the last 1/4 of the game "the ending", then yes.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Best:
I have to agree with everyone, MI2 is the best ending i have seen yet I normaly hate it when theres loose ends and little closure in an ending but MI2 was really satisfying

Worst:
erm...well i havent came across many bad endings but i would probably say Toonstruck, that was pretty cheesy.
Spoiler:

"Oh, was it all a dream?"
"No Drew! Its me!"
"Hooray!"
*twinkly swooshy thing*

Normality may have been another one...although i cant quite remember it but im sure it was pretty cheesy
Old 11-07-2005, 03:32 PM   #4

Best: Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge (excellent cliffhanger ending)

Worst: Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge. Because we never got to know what happened next. Probably never will either.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:27 PM   #5

Best that i can tell right now on the spur of the moment: Still Life. I like open ended endings, especially when they're spooky.
But thinking about it a bit more got me Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Monkey Island 1. It's an incredibly hard question, though.

Worst... well, I'd say Schizm 2. The story is horrendous all the way, but the ending beats it all; and what makes it worse it all the puzzle suffering that you have to go through to see it.
Aura's ending is so sudden, it's pretty bad, too.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:40 PM   #6
Thats the ticket

Why is the Monkey Island 2 ending so good? Because we're still discussing it to this very day. Also did everyone wait till the end of the credits to form an opinion of the ending?

Why some people might think its the worst ever and doesn't make sense don't really get it. The game was called LeChucks revenge and he really did get his revenge in the end.

A true sequel to Monkey Island 2 would've been fun though.
Spoiler:
Maybe play as Elaine trying to rescue little Guybrush from the clutches of the evil little LeChuck!

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 11-08-2005 at 06:36 AM. Reason: spoiler tags added
Old 11-07-2005, 04:54 PM   #7
SamNMax

Yeah, I think that's the problem. Most people didn't see the part after the credits. Also, though I have nothing but respect for Even Dickens, this is just laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former AG staff member Even Dickens
Unfortunately, Monkey Island 2 ends with a resounding thud. The much-debated final sequence left the gamer in a state of shock and disbelief...and not a good kind at all, rather the worst kind of shock possible. The feeling that the entire experience of the game has been completely wasted.

The question to this day remains: what was Ron Gilbert thinking? What was his plan? How would he have led into MI3 from his ending? Wouldn't we think of it differently if we could see his vision? The answer, as far as I'm concerned, is no. When I finish a game, especially one as long as Monkey Island 2, I should never feel as empty and frustrated as I felt after the ending sequence was complete. And it's important to remember there was no guarantee of an MI3; rather, the ending led many to believe the series would not be continued. I have never veered from the statement I will make again now: the ending to this game is the single worst in the history of adventure games.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:10 PM   #8
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Best endings:
Grim Fandango - Like a satisfying ending to a great movie (just replayed GF, btw), bittersweet and hopeful, and I love the three songs playing through the credits, especially 'Compañeros'!

MI2 - Very clever by itself... just don't play it after playing MI3 and MI4!!! (I knew of the MI2 ending before playing it, but it confused the heck out of my cousin when he played! )

TLJ - The ending left us still with a lot of questions, hopefully to be answered in Dreamfall (...maybe not!) Cute epilogue, though.

Worst endings:

Crystal Key: "Congratulations, you've destroyed Ozgar and saved the universe." THAT'S IT??!

Schizm: Congratulations, you were both able to work together. Matia, Matia, Matia. BOO!!!

Mystery of the Mummy - Let's have Sherlock Holmes unconvincingly wrap up the entire mystery to Watson in a very choppy cutscene. Ick.

Aura's ending was pretty abrupt, but of course the creators are just setting us up for the sequel (kind of like Riddle of the Sphinx, Alida and a few others.)
Old 11-07-2005, 05:10 PM   #9
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former AG staff member Even Dickens
Unfortunately, Monkey Island 2 ends with a resounding thud. The much-debated final sequence left the gamer in a state of shock and disbelief...and not a good kind at all, rather the worst kind of shock possible. The feeling that the entire experience of the game has been completely wasted.
That is just wrong. Even if he thought the ending sucked, the journey with the awesome puzzles and conversations was wasted? What was he expecting? Maybe he found his Big Whoop after all.........
Old 11-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #10
thegumchewingwoman

Best: GF

But Indy4 and the Fate of Atlantis is a close second for me... I always found it amusing when Sophia flicked her hair like that, and that whole Indy saves the day and gets the girl thing.... I'm a sucker for a sappy (game) ending!

Worst: It's a tie between Fahrenheit and Still Life.... that's a tough one....

Old 11-07-2005, 09:35 PM   #11

Best Ending: I'm going to have to go with Leisure Suit Larry 3 on this one. I can't think of too many games with endings where your characters actually end up in a completely different game. It was just funny as hell. Too bad they didn't have voice in that game.

Worst Ending: Phantasmagoria 1. All that time and bullshit wasted just for THAT? Absolutely pathetic. UGGGHHH....just thinking about about it makes me want to find Roberta Williams and strangle her.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:55 AM   #12
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivasawadee
Why is the Monkey Island 2 ending so good? Because we're still discussing it to this very day. Also did everyone wait till the end of the credits to form an opinion of the ending?
What happened after the credits again? Elaine saying er... something?

I seem to remember there being some difference between the PC version and the Amiga version - either the Elaine thing never happened or she said something different - so can you remind me what happened? Spoiler tags a must, obviously!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:51 AM   #13
Leo

Best ending: TLJ. It tied up most of the loose ends nicely while leaving room for a sequel. Not many games can do that. The ending wasn't sudden and it was long and satisfying. Overall I think it's the best and most powerful adventure game ending.

Simon the Sorcerer 2 comes a close second. I loved the surprise ending and was completely unprepared for it. Pity the main character was so annoying though.

Worst ending: Still Life. This has to be one of the worst endings, if not the worst ending, in adventure game history. It was terrible and it left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I felt like bringing it back to the shop and asking for my money back. I know the developers ran out of money at the end but surely they could have come up with a different ending. I mean
Spoiler:
Who ever heard of a murder mystery where you don't find out the murderer in the end? I thought that was the whole point of the game.

Most frustrating ending: Monkey Island 2. I am still undecided as to wether this was a bad ending or work of genius. It's all the more frustrating because we will probably never know what Ron Gilbert had planned afterwards.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Simon the Sorcerer 2 comes a close second. I loved the surprise ending and was completely unprepared for it. Pity the main character was so annoying though.
Ah yes, great ending, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Worst ending: Still Life. This has to be one of the worst endings, if not the worst ending, in adventure game history. It was terrible and it left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I felt like bringing it back to the shop and asking for my money back. I know the developers ran out of money at the end but surely they could have come up with a different ending. I mean
Spoiler:
Who ever heard of a murder mystery where you don't find out the murderer in the end? I thought that was the whole point of the game.
Aw, c'mon man, not knowing is the best part of it. Neatly tied up ending always let me a sense of artificiality. If that word even exists.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:58 AM   #15
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
What happened after the credits again? Elaine saying er... something?

I seem to remember there being some difference between the PC version and the Amiga version - either the Elaine thing never happened or she said something different - so can you remind me what happened? Spoiler tags a must, obviously!
Im sure she said something like

"Gee i hope Guybrush isnt under some *Curse* or something"

I remember hearing somewhere they actualy planned to also have a scene where wally is on a raft in the middle of the sea after the explosion, then he drops his monacle in the sea and falls in while trying to catch it

They thought it would have been too cruel though
Old 11-08-2005, 09:21 AM   #16
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Aw, c'mon man, not knowing is the best part of it. Neatly tied up ending always let me a sense of artificiality. If that word even exists.
Usually I would agree with you. I don't mind an open ending if it's done well but there is a difference between an open ending and an abrupt ending. If we had been given more clues as to who the murderer was then it would have been better. But instead we're not given any. There's not even a hint about who the murderer is (And if there are, then they're very obscure). Also I thought the ending was rushed since
Spoiler:
Victoria said she was going to Los Angeles
and then it just ended afterwards. I'm guessing that they were planning a sequel but that doesn't look likely which is why I'm even more cheesed off. What I'm trying to say is that I thought the game just ended very suddenly without much warning. It's a pity because I was enjoying it up untill then.

Having said that it's ending isn't as bad as in Legacy. Although that whole game sucked anyway.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #17

Best is easily Monkey Island 2. I dont uderstand the negative opinions of it. It was brilliant.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #18
Codger

Worst: REAH. A la "Who shot J. R." it ended with "You dreamed the whole thing."

Best: I was just thinking about how much I enjoyed the ending of Callahan's Crosstime Saloon.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:01 PM   #19

So many people don't like the ending to 'Still Life' because it left some things unanswered? I guess none of you like David Lynch films then?

Fav: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templers - gave me goosebumps - george gets his girl.
Grim Fandango - Manny also gets his girl. Almost cried. >.>

dislike: none yet have disappointed me but watch this space after I've finishe the ever-so-boring 'The Longest Journey'.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:59 PM   #20
SamNMax

Still Life's ending would have been fine, but since there's no chance for a sequel, it's kind of a downer.