You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best/Worst Adventure Game Ending

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2005, 05:33 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I still think Black Mirror's ending was an excellent conclusion to the plot. Everything else simply would not have worked.

- :
I don't know about that (that everything else would not have worked). I liked it too, though.

And Myst ending is not that bad, it's more like... nothing.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:07 AM   #62

Spoilers following, and such: (and a big "in my opinion" added to everything)

Spoiler:
I don't dislike Black Mirror's ending itself* - it's more like with Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy: The last part just sucks. I quite liked the game up until the last part
Spoiler:
(beside the fact, that it was obvious that Samuel was the killer)
, then the game shattered. I didn't feel closure in any way, just because the main character died. Everything was left unanswered, and nothing made sense. If this demon needed five souls, why not just throw a bomb into a pub? Seriously. And why kill people around Black Mirror manor, instead of Samuel's environment? Why "go" (however Samuel went to Black Mirror from his home and back to his home - without noticing anything - and by the way Spiderman-ing the tower. It could hardly have been some spirit, because then nothing would make sense. If it was a spirit, Samuel wouldn't be needed, he wouldn't be the killer, he would not have been seen, and so on.) all the way and kill some random victims [Vick and Henry were hardly guilty of something or had some special role.]?
What about Robert? We know, that he and Hermann(?) - the doctor - had some vicious plans and gave the inmates of the asylum some liquid. But do we find out what purpose it served? Why Hermann and Robert worked together? Why they did, what they did?
The story was damn interesting, the story-telling really good, and then they throw everything away and end the game with "Curse. Live with it. Or not." and Samuel follows William (who didn't commit suicide - or why should he look so terrified and why should there be this symbol on the towerwall?) down the tower.

When I saw the ending, I thought that even an open ending wouldn't make a difference, and just because the main plot was (badly) solved, I didn't feel closure, because everything seemed promising at the beginning. So, in retrospective: Ending was just SO awful, because I felt, that there actually was something behind this story. (And the story one gets was really one that can hardly have taken more time than 15 minutes of thinking.)
By the way: Isn't Black Mirror's ending really short, anyway? And quite unspectacular?

*Okay, okay, dislike maybe. But not consider it as "the worst" ever.

EDIT: Um, okay, Melanie.

EDIT, yes, again:
Actually, I have, AFGNCAAP, and the theory may be nice - really.
Spoiler:
But why is the symbol down the tower? Why did William look so scared before he died? Why all these tricks (camera, effects) so it looks like there is "something"? Why would William be chosen by the demon, but not Robert or the other possibilities mentioned (William is able to do such things, but the others aren't?)? Why would William know he was going to be possessed (so he jumped), but not Samuel or any other before?
And even if I didn't get the obvious explanations for my questions - which really is possible - it doesn't change much about the other victims. (Anyway, wouldn't there be a soul missing without William? Maybe I should play the game again.)

Last edited by Lacrima; 11-14-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:28 AM   #63
Dungeon Master

Have you read the thread I linked to, especially post #13?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:11 AM   #64
Super Moderator

Shouldn't that middle part be in spoiler tags for those who haven't played. It's hard to not read even though you know it's a spoiler? (just wondering)
Old 11-17-2005, 02:55 PM   #65
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Space Quest 6 had a bad ending, so many questions left un answered.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 11-20-2005, 08:05 AM   #66

Send a message via MSN to Rastis

Best: Grim Fandango, it was the first time that a game gave me such a sad feeling, when Manny left the others.

Worst: 7 days a skeptic. Actually it was quite funny, but it didn't fit in the game.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:22 PM   #67
Twilight Caste

I'm gonna have to go with the Black Mirror votes on this one. Having played Crystal Key AND TBM... at least I had SOME satisfaction from TCK!

Then again, Black Mirror annoyed me continuously with the dodgy accents.

--TR
Old 11-21-2005, 09:02 AM   #68
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacrima
Spoiler:
But why is the symbol down the tower? Why did William look so scared before he died? Why all these tricks (camera, effects) so it looks like there is "something"? Why would William be chosen by the demon, but not Robert or the other possibilities mentioned (William is able to do such things, but the others aren't?)? Why would William know he was going to be possessed (so he jumped), but not Samuel or any other before?
And even if I didn't get the obvious explanations for my questions - which really is possible - it doesn't change much about the other victims. (Anyway, wouldn't there be a soul missing without William? Maybe I should play the game again.)
I just had a small enlightenment. I'll describe how I see all of this: (Concerning Black Mirror)

Spoiler:

The way I see it, the curse/demon did not possess Robert or James because they were not in the right place. Remember Samuel mentioning that the old part of the building had been walled shut (I think he also said that that area was kind of unlucky to be, for some reason. He doesn't say it with belief in superstition, but just in a way of stating facts. Or maybe it was just not safe, structure wise? I forget.)? That means that most of the building is newer, and I think they mentioned it was not from the time of Marcus and Mordred. However, I also recall that Samuel says that the tower is one of the last parts of the old castle (he says so when standing on the balcony, I think).

My theory is, that the demon did not have enough influence on the newer structures (Wasn't the old castle still built by Mordred?), and was only able to possess a member of the family if it was within it's area of influence. So William was the only possibility, as he had his study in the old tower*. I suppose that the demon is able to leave the old structures when 'wearing' a person. So he tries to possess William, but William jumps out of the window (or backs into it, falling outside. Either way turns out the same), not knowing that this also counts as a death caused by the curse (or maybe, if he did jump himself, that counts as murder). However, the curse/demon is still trapped in the old castle.

Then Victoria comes and seals the room. That prevents anyone, including Robert, to enter the old castle structure (the attic is obviously a new structure. Not even *our* attic is that clean and tidy, and has such new wood), and getting possessed. Until Samuel comes. Samuel enters the room, and the demon sees his chance. I don't remember if he had the headache as soon as he entered the room, but I think he did. I believe that the headache is induced by the demon getting active, or maybe Samuel is just sensitive for such things (like to lightbulbs. Only more EEEEEVIL.) - He says he had these headaches for some time before he arrived at Black Mirror. Now, what would be if he first got that headache when the demon tried to possess William? Samuel wouldn't know, he only learns about the death of William later, when the letter arrives. Also, the exact time of death was most likely not mentioned in the letter, since in such a situation these details are not really important, except for the records and the police.

So as Samuel enters the room, the demon begins to move again, having lain dormant since William's death. Samuel enters, Demon wakes, Samuel gets Headache. However, he is not yet possessed. He searches the room, and as he goes to leave the room, the demon sees his chance - and strikes! I can imagine that getting possessed by a demon (or anything, actually), must be a pretty uncomfortable experience. So the force of the demon invading his body acts like a club to the head, leaving Samuel unconscious and not at all well.

While Samuel is out, the Demon dances upon the table, so to say. He takes full control of Samuel's defenseless body, and continues with the killing. Nothing easier than that. When Samuel wakes, he can't remember anything, for obvious reasons.

Further I think that while Samuel is awake and fully conscious, the demon can't, or doesn't care to take control. Or maybe he is weak during the day (Demons have been known to), in the sunlight (Well, the closest thing to it), and wouldn't be able to, even if he wanted to. So as the day starts to end, the Demon stirs again inside Samuel, and he gets his headache. That makes him decide to go to bed, and while Samuel is asleep, his mind is not as focused, making it easy for the Demon to take control again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Now, what about the part where he is in Wales? I think it does not influence to the curse, if the murders are too far away. In fact, I believe only if the murders are within the borders of the estates and lands around Black Mirror, they are of benefit for the curse. I don't think Samuel had a lot of headaches while in Wales. If there was one, I think it was in the tomb, which might give the demon a reason to stir for some time. Or the demon is just checking his e-mail. They have a life too, you know.

So Samuel returns to Black Mirror, and the killing starts again. Whoopee-doo.

NOTES: * I don't know why the Demon did not possess William earlier. But it was probably some mystic or astral constellation, which was just right at that time. It always is. That, or rule of thumb. If demons have thumbs, of course.

I hope this helped to bring some light into the darkness. After all, we don't want you to get eaten by a Grue, do we?

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:45 AM   #69

Apologies for not coming up with anything terribly original but I must say I loved the endings to Broken Sword and Grim Fandango. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a happy ending to a love story.

Worst ending....not entirely sure. Perhaps The Longest Journey because it left so many things unanswered, like how could a bird live as long as April? Or what the heck happens to all of April's friends (who she doesn't even mention or give a damn that they're in danger). Awesome game though, look forward to dreamfall.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:05 PM   #70
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

What about an ending when you are thrown back to windows with error message? Original? may be. I didn't like it at all.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:56 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthia
What about an ending when you are thrown back to windows with error message? Original? may be. I didn't like it at all.

I agree, those are the worst.

-

Old 11-22-2005, 12:14 AM   #72

I liked Monkey Island 2s ending. It felt post modern or something
Old 11-22-2005, 01:59 PM   #73
Sky is not the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I agree, those are the worst.

-
didn't play Out of Order, did you?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:35 PM   #74
Super Moderator

Quote:

I did. I had forgotten about that. OOOHHH, bad ending...
Old 11-22-2005, 02:45 PM   #75

Quote:

Why, yes I did. I thought my computer was acting up (I played it on the laptop of my father), since it had crashed before. I got up to the point where

Spoiler:
He is back at home apparently, but then all the other 'humans' appear, and he's just in the virtual village, modelled after his home.

Was the error message on purpose?

-

Old 11-23-2005, 01:03 PM   #76
Sky is not the limit

The error mesage was sipposed to appear
Spoiler:
after little green guy goes to play disk
Old 11-24-2005, 02:05 AM   #77
Master of time and space

Finally finished Black Mirror. It really was a boring ending, but I still hold that Myst's ending was far worse.

Spoiler:
I was hoping that in the end Lothar would be resurrected and then conquer the world. You know, an unhappy ending. The rest of the game set it up nicely for an unhappy one.

Last edited by MdaG; 11-24-2005 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:44 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG
Finally finished Black Mirror. It really was a boring ending, but I still hold that Myst's ending was far worse.

Spoiler:
I was hoping that in the end Lothar would be resurrected and then conquer the world. You know, an unhappy ending. The rest of the game set it up nicely for an unhappy one.
Spoiler:
You mean, the main character dying isn't an unhappy ending?
Old 11-24-2005, 06:25 AM   #79
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Spoiler:
You mean, the main character dying isn't an unhappy ending?
Spoiler:
Not unhappy enough
Old 05-25-2007, 01:14 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by entranced View Post
Best Ending: I'm going to have to go with Leisure Suit Larry 3 on this one. I can't think of too many games with endings where your characters actually end up in a completely different game. It was just funny as hell. Too bad they didn't have voice in that game.

Worst Ending: Phantasmagoria 1. All that time and bullshit wasted just for THAT? Absolutely pathetic. UGGGHHH....just thinking about about it makes me want to find Roberta Williams and strangle her.
Oh GOD, I so agree with you there! I actually prefer to let Adrienne die in Ch. 7 after taking care of Don......... THAT gives more closure than the "good" ending!