You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best/Worst Adventure Game Ending

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2005, 11:47 PM   #21
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I don't care how many years you can spend analyzing the ending of MI2- it's still a bad ending. I think they were trying to imitate the funniest move ending ever from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. But the reason that ending worked is because it had been set up throughout the movie. The ending of MI2 was not set up, and it didn't resolve the plot threads which the game had set up. That would be an awful ending even if the cliffhanger had been resolved.

But I'll disagree with Even Dickens on one point. It is not the worst adventure game ending ever. That dishonor goes to the amateur game Out of Order, without question. It was a similar shock, but where unlike MI2 which couldn't control its creativity, it proved to have no creativity at all. I don't know if it's unfair for me to go after a freeware game, but I've never felt so cheated by the ending of any other work in any medium. The only thing keeping the player going throughout the game is the certainty that all the nutty plot threads will come together and make sense. Then the writers say "Well, we never really had any coherent plot to begin with, so take this instead.".
Spoiler:
Making the big "revelation" at the end be that the character is in a computer game is the cheapest gag I can think of.

As for best, no adventure games come to mind. Maybe I just haven't played enough.

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 11-09-2005 at 04:43 AM. Reason: As much as the ending may have sucked, spoiler tags should be used here, I think.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:00 AM   #22
Dungeon Master

I fail to see how Holy Grail's ending has been set up throughout the movie.
Spoiler:
Do you mean the scenes with a TV guy getting killed and, later, policemen over his body?

So what? I mean, it's a Monty Python. "Plot" threads come and go as they please, and fourth wall never gets broken, as it never has been raised in the first place. Anything could happen, however absurd, and it would fit (though of course it could've been better or worse or funnier or duller etc.).

Secondly, how is MI2 imitating it? Apart from the very basic idea of
Spoiler:
questioning the nature of the story's reality,

which is as old as the storytelling itself, there are no similarities.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:46 AM   #23

Funny, I didn't mind MI2's ending, and I hate The Holy Grail one.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:48 PM   #24
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
I don't care how many years you can spend analyzing the ending of MI2- it's still a bad ending. I think they were trying to imitate the funniest move ending ever from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. But the reason that ending worked is because it had been set up throughout the movie. The ending of MI2 was not set up, and it didn't resolve the plot threads which the game had set up. That would be an awful ending even if the cliffhanger had been resolved.
You wanna try to back that up?

Old 11-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
...and I hate The Holy Grail one.

I haven't played MI2 so I'm unable to comment but I loved Holy Grail's ending:

Spoiler:
I loved the juxtaposition of the 7th century story against the modern crime at the end and Lancelot getting patted down by the cop.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #26
I turn novels into games

Quote:
the worst adventure game ending ever. That dishonor goes to the amateur game Out of Order, without question.
Someone desn't like OOO???? How can this be?????
Seriously though, this is a great thread. I'm reading it while compiling the latest version of my game, and it's extremely useful to be reminded of what not to do.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax
So many people don't like the ending to 'Still Life' because it left some things unanswered? I guess none of you like David Lynch films then?

Fav: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templers - gave me goosebumps - george gets his girl.
Grim Fandango - Manny also gets his girl. Almost cried. >.>

Both of those never happened.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:54 PM   #28

I remembered my least favorite ending. Broken Sword 3 ending was beyond stupid and unbelievable. Everything other than the very last scene was a cool story.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:20 PM   #29
Cannabis Connoisseur

I'm gonna need to agree with everyone about the MI2 ending; it was sweet. It's still etched into my mind to this day even though it has been YEARS since i've played it.
As for worst, that would be Syberia 2. That ending just pissed me right off. Broken Sword 3 was overly dissapointing too. Everything about that game was good until the ending. I'm still trying to figure out what the developers and story writers were ON when they wrote that out.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:17 AM   #30
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
You wanna try to back that up?
Sure. I don't know if it was specifically mimicking Monty Python- I just meant that I think it's trying to be that type of ending, which is so shocking and contrary to what you were expecting and hoping for that it's funny. But that kind of ending needs to be set up in some way, so that it is at least satisfyingly unsatisfying. The dead historian subplot sets it up so that when it happens, you don't need to question the writers. You understand what they're doing, even as you're shaking your head in disbelief. MI2 does not set up its ending, and we are left to analyze why the writers picked such an unsatisfying ending.

Another good point (brought up by AFGNCAAP) is that a good shock ending only works when the whole plot is unpredictable. But even though MI2 has lots of wacky gags, the overall structure and pacing is pretty straightforward. So when the ending fails to serve its purpose in the narrative framework the writers have set up, it's doubly annoying.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:27 AM   #31
Easily amused

Best ending - Zork Nemesis. It caught me completely by surprise.
Other memorable endings:
Black Dahlia, GK2, Comer, Faust and Zork Grand Inquisitor.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
Best ending - Zork Nemesis. It caught me completely by surprise.
I though you could see it coming, but even then, it's still an exceptional ending to an exceptional game.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:40 AM   #33

I never found the ending to be nonsensical. It made sense. You think it's some kind of random ending, but it's not. It makes perfect sense. The game sets you up for a sequel, simple as that. The ending is the climax of the games story. You get closer and closer to finding out the secret of Big Whoop, but then comes the huge plot-twist. We were so expecting to win against LeChuck once again, like we did the last time. They never wanted you to beat LeChuck in MI2 - hence why they called it LeChuck's Revenge. He gets his revenge. Compare it to the Star Wars trilogy (the original).

First we have A New Hope. That's Guybrush ridding the caribbean of the dreaded ghostpirate. The caribbean is saved!

Then we have Empire Strikes Back. That's LeChuck getting even and back on top of the foodchain.
Spoiler:
He even declares he's Guybrush's brother, just like Darth Vader declares his fatherhood to Luke.

Now we have the Return of the Jedi, which was meant to be the third Monkey Island game under Ron Gilberts control. Unfortunately that never happened. The conclusion, the happy ending that would end LeChuck's regime once and for all.

So you see, it's both an ending and introduction to the third game that never came. That's how I see it at least. And the small cutscene were Elaine wonder's what Guybrush is doing kinda gives that away. It's just so obvious.

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 11-10-2005 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:27 AM   #34
Dungeon Master

Sorry, CrimsonBlue, but I felt like one sentence you wrote needed being hidden. Call me a spoiler tag nazi.

Also: I agree with everything you said. Actually, I think that MI2 finale would work well even if there never was a sequel - it was twisted, mystical and funny. Unfortunately, the sequel was made - and in such a way that it kinda diminishes what happens at the end of LeChuck's Revenge.

Quote:
Another good point (brought up by AFGNCAAP) is that a good shock ending only works when the whole plot is unpredictable.
I didn't say that (and don't agree with it, as a matter of fact).
Old 11-10-2005, 10:36 AM   #35
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I have to say its not like MI2 didnt hint its ending atall, come on!

Spoiler:
after falling down the hole you wake up in some service tunnel full of storage rooms. to me the shocking part of the ending wasnt the whole them park thing, but how the hero didnt win in the end

But i think the main reason it works is because it suggests a sequel, you dont feel bad about what happens as theres still hope

Last edited by Karmillo; 11-10-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:15 AM   #36
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
I didn't say that (and don't agree with it, as a matter of fact).
Then I must have misinterpreted this statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Anything could happen, however absurd, and it would fit.
No matter. There's no point in arguing about this any further; I've given my valid reasons for hating it, and now I understand why other people might like it.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #37

Quote:
and now I understand why other people might like it.
That's a good sign!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:37 PM   #38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
I have to say its not like MI2 didnt hint its ending atall, come on!

Spoiler:
after falling down the hole you wake up in some service tunnel full of storage rooms. to me the shocking part of the ending wasnt the whole them park thing, but how the hero didnt win in the end

But i think the main reason it works is because it suggests a sequel, you dont feel bad about what happens as theres still hope
Karmillo, you can't put an = in the fronting spoiler tag.

I'm just being a busybody.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #39
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Karmillo, you can't put an = in the fronting spoiler tag.

I'm just being a busybody.
Hehe i didnt think it would, i meant to preview it first but i guess i forgot
Old 11-10-2005, 12:57 PM   #40

I can't believe this thread turned into another MI2 ending thread That has to be some kind of record.