You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Talkie versions and such

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2005, 07:47 AM   #1
Master of time and space

Default Talkie versions and such

I'm wondering. What "oldies" recieved an enhanced CD version? Some I know of are Sam and Max and Day of the Tentacle. What other are there (worth looking into anyways)?

*edit*
I (apparently) have the following already:
  • Gabriel Knight
  • Hand of Fate
  • Star Trek - 25th Anniversary
  • Star Trek - Judgement Rites
  • Sam and Max
  • Day of the Tentacle
  • Simon the Sorceror
  • Discworld

Last edited by MdaG; 10-27-2005 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG
I'm wondering. What "oldies" recieved an enhanced CD version? Some I know of are Sam and Max and Day of the Tentacle. What other are there (worth looking into anyways)?
Fate of Atlantis.
Simon the Sorcerer.
Dunno what else...
Old 10-26-2005, 08:13 AM   #3

Flight of the Amazon Queen...
Willy Beamish, too, I think.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:22 AM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Of the Sierra games, King's Quest 5 and 6, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist, Police Quest: Open Season, Gabriel Knight 1, and Space Quest 4 come to mind. (Also Willy Beamish, yes.)
Old 10-26-2005, 09:14 AM   #5

Here's an almost complete list:

Sierra: KQ5, KQ6, SQ4, PQ4, QFG4, Eco Quest 1, LSL6, Amon Ra, Mother Goose VGA, Freddy Pharkas, GK1, Willy Beamish.

Lucas: DOTT, Monkey Island 1 (added sfx, CD audio music and new inventory style, but no speech), LOOM, Indy FOA, Sam & Max.

Other: Kyrandia 1, Kyrandia 2, Amazon - Guardians of Eden, Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes, Simon the Sorcerer 1, Simon the Sorcerer 2, Xanth, Guilty, Discworld 1, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Beneath a Steel Sky, Retutn of the Phantom, DragonSphere, The Big Red Adventure (only difference is CD audio music), Shadow of the Comet, Inherit the Earth, KGB (CD ver. renamed Conspiracy).

I'm not sure if the following games have an enhanced CD-version, or their just shovelware: Gateway 2, Innocent Until Caught (there's a thread about it here), Dark Seed 1, Ringworld 1, Igor: Objective Uikokahonia.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:34 AM   #6

Lost in Time (well, it's actually more the CD version that received a floppy conversion).

Eternam (but, believe me, you don't want to play that one, whether on floppy, CD, cartridge or whatever).

DUNE (impressive enhancements to an already wonderful game).
Old 10-26-2005, 01:28 PM   #7
Master of time and space

Ooooooh nice, seems like I need to get:
  • Monkey Island
  • Monkey Island 2
  • Kyrandia 1 (again! got shovelware the last time )
  • Kings Quest 5
  • Kings Quest 6
  • LOOM
  • Fate of Atlantis
  • Innocent until caught (unless it's shovelware)
  • Guilty

Well, I'll get what I can find for a fair price ($20 bucks tops). Otherwise it wasn't meant to be
Old 10-26-2005, 05:41 PM   #8

You guys left out one of my favorites - Rise of the Dragon (by Dynamix/Sierra). Maybe this is because the version with voice actors was only released for Sega CD?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG
Ooooooh nice, seems like I need to get:
  • Monkey Island 2
You can leave this one out, it's shovelware. And btw, from the games on your list Loom has the most enhancements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entranced
You guys left out one of my favorites - Rise of the Dragon (by Dynamix/Sierra). Maybe this is because the version with voice actors was only released for Sega CD?
Are you 100% sure that ROTD for Sega CD contained full speech? Please don't send me hunting for it for nothing, I'm already considering hunting for Willy Beamish for Sega CD because some say it contains different scenes, and maybe that's where this mysterious screenshot comes from. BTW, there wasn't a CD release for the PC version, but it does contain speech in the intro.
Now, if we crossed the non-PC CD barier, Zak McKracken for the FM Towns is a must, of course.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:43 PM   #10

What is Shovelware?
Old 10-26-2005, 07:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Of the Sierra games, King's Quest 5 and 6, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist, Police Quest: Open Season, Gabriel Knight 1, and Space Quest 4 come to mind. (Also Willy Beamish, yes.)

I never knew KQ5, 6, SQ4, or Freddie Pharkas had talkie versions. Unbelievable. How have I never come across these? Will the re released games be talkie?
Old 10-26-2005, 07:45 PM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
I never knew KQ5, 6, SQ4, or Freddie Pharkas had talkie versions. Unbelievable. How have I never come across these? Will the re released games be talkie?
They sell on eBay fairly frequently. I actually come across KQ5 and 6 CDs at Goodwill on a regular basis. Next time I see one I'll buy it for you!

I don't know anything about the rereleases, but I'd be surprised if they didn't include talkie versions of those games. The KQ and SQ collections released in the 90s already do. King Graham is voiced by Josh Mandel, a former Sierra employee and member of this forum. (He also did the voice in AGDI's remakes.) In King's Quest 6, Prince Alexander was voiced by Robby Benson, who voiced the Beast in Disney's Beauty and the Beast cartoon.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
They sell on eBay fairly frequently. I actually come across KQ5 and 6 CDs at Goodwill on a regular basis. Next time I see one I'll buy it for you!

I don't know anything about the rereleases, but I'd be surprised if they didn't include talkie versions of those games. The KQ and SQ collections released in the 90s already do. King Graham is voiced by Josh Mandel, a former Sierra employee and member of this forum. (He also did the voice in AGDI's remakes.) In King's Quest 6, Prince Alexander was voiced by Robby Benson, who voiced the Beast in Disney's Beauty and the Beast cartoon.
I'm very interested in playing all of these games with voices. I never knew any game prior to 93 had voice acting. If you see any of these Sierra games with voice at a thrift shop I will gladly pay you a finders fee.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:06 PM   #14
OB

I still have my original talkie KQ6 around here somewhere. I have the booklet and the old official strategy guide, too. It was tiny but fancy pants. If I find it, I'll find my talky Gabriel Knight, since it's with it. I remember both had enhanced cutscenes thanks to the extra space on the CD.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:37 PM   #15

I finally found a 2nd hand copy of LucasArts Archives Vol 1 on an online auction and bought it soley for the talkie version of Indy Atlantis. Installed it with ScummVM last week and have had a very quick play. Man, it's nice to have full speech (Marcus excepted, that accent is teh suck). I haven't played my old floppy version in, I dunno, 12 or 15 years, so it's bringing back some nice memories.

I recall many years ago in a videogame magazine - probably PC Format, that MI2 was at the time slated for a talkie cd-rom re-release. Obviously it never happened.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
Lost in Time (well, it's actually more the CD version that received a floppy conversion).

Eternam (but, believe me, you don't want to play that one, whether on floppy, CD, cartridge or whatever).

DUNE (impressive enhancements to an already wonderful game).
Hey! Eternam is good. Stupid lame 3D parts, and frequent deaths excepted, that is.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:24 AM   #17

There was a voice version of Gobliiins and Star Trek: Judgment Rites, and a voice add-on pack for Star Trek: 25th Anniversary.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Hey! Eternam is good. Stupid lame 3D parts, and frequent deaths excepted, that is.
You might want to add the boring hero (hell, Tracy was so much funnier and interesting than him), ridiculous plot and nonsensical puzzles to the list. Ok, so the pyramid was fun. And maybe the castle at the beginning too. And...

Ok, you've done it! I want to replay it now. But, if it turns out being as bad as I remember it to be, I'll hold you personally responsible.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:21 AM   #19
Master of time and space

Quote:
You might want to add the boring hero (hell, Tracy was so much funnier and interesting than him), ridiculous plot and nonsensical puzzles to the list. Ok, so the pyramid was fun. And maybe the castle at the beginning too. And...

Ok, you've done it! I want to replay it now. But, if it turns out being as bad as I remember it to be, I'll hold you personally responsible.
LOL
Old 10-27-2005, 01:23 AM   #20

Quote:

He he. Well, Tracy is so cute, it's worth replaying only for her.
The plot is ridiculous, but that's on purpose, so it didn't disturb me, and as for the puzzles, the rare occasions where you can be stuck notwithstanding (but I hate those so much it hurts), they're not that though. It was one of the first games I've played, and I had an easier time of it than I had of Indiana Jones. You just need to save often and be sure not to miss anything.

And the castle was really nice. Eyes on the wall...