You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Ken Williams interview

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
OB

Default New Ken Williams interview

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...php?story=6864

Quote:
October 17, 2005

Playing Catch-Up: Sierra Founder Ken Williams

Today’s Playing Catch-Up, a weekly column that dares to speak to notable video game industry figures about their celebrated pasts and promising futures, talks to Sierra On-Line founder and former CEO Ken Williams.

Williams and his wife [and King's Quest creator] Roberta founded On-Line Systems in 1980. Their first game, Mystery House, is considered to be the world's first graphic adventure, at a time when the genre was exclusively text-based. In 1982, the company was renamed to Sierra On-Line and moved to Oakhurst, California, and a legacy was born. Notable franchises developed under Williams' supervision include King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Space Quest, Gabriel Knight, the Laura Bow series, and Phantasmagoria, among nearly countless others. Other accomplishments include 1991's graphical online service The Sierra Network (later the ImagiNation Network), one of the first of its kind to offer a visual world in those pre-world wide web days. The service was purchased in 1994 by AT&T, and sold to AOL two years later.

Williams sold Sierra to a subscription-based shopping company called CUC International in 1996 and, after a brief advisory role, left the company - and the industry - for good. We caught up with him via email, nine years after the fact, to play a brief round of Catch-Up.

"After 18 years running Sierra I was getting burnt out," he said, when questioned about his decision to sell. "All of the games were starting to look alike, and the enormous pressures of running a public company were getting to me. On the other hand, Sierra was a very cool company. The people were awesome, and we were pioneering some very cool technologies. I wanted to stay, and didn’t want to stay. It was a tough decision." CUC International's CEO, Walter Forbes was among Sierra's board members at the time. "I was surprised by him one day after a board meeting," recalled Williams, "when he asked if the company could be bought. CUC’s business had nothing to do with consumer software. Selling was the right decision for Sierra, its shareholders, and its employees, based on everything I knew at the time. Prior to the sale of the company, I negotiated many things into the deal which were supposed to stop Sierra from being screwed up by the acquisition. It’s a long story, but I created a structure post-acquisition that was meant to keep everything that made Sierra be Sierra unchanged."

Unfortunately, even early on, there were signs of trouble; broken promises and the like. "At the time, I passed it off as them having 'told me what I wanted to hear, to get the deal done.' Now, I understand that these were not honorable gentleman." The saga of CUC International's accountting issues and alleged money laundering is a long and complicated story. "Both Walter Forbes, CUC’s CEO, and Kirk Shelton, CUC’s President, have been indicted on criminal charges," said Williams. "Kirk has already been sentenced to 10 years of prison, and assessed a $3.27 billion dollar penalty. Walter’s criminal trial is still in progress. To this day, I have trouble believing they were crooks. Walter was on Sierra’s board for many years, and there was never any hint of it."

With the past behind them, Ken and Roberta Williams have been enjoying their retirement. "Roberta and I have an incredible life," he said. "We travel almost non-stop. Last summer we took our 62’ boat across the Atlantic." Their journey was documented in Williams' first book, 'Crossing an Ocean Under Power'. "We live about half the year in Seattle and half in Mexico. Much of the time, my biggest decisions revolve around 'do I use the 3 iron or the 5 wood?'" Williams also runs the free website builder, TalkSpot.com, purely as a hobby. "I actually lose money on it," he says, "because I don't want to charge anyone money. It seems to have exploded. About 4,500 websites have been built with it, and I’m adding 200+ per week, with the growth rate constantly rising. I need to find a way to slow it down, or I may find myself running a business again – which isn't going to happen. I like being a has-been."

"Of course I miss Sierra," he said, when directly asked. "Both Roberta and I miss it. If we had today’s technology to build games with, imagine what could be done! It is so frustrating to sit on the sidelines watching others have all the fun. It is also painful to see an industry that hasn’t really moved forward. Sierra certainly made our share of mistakes, but the one thing we always did right, was that we were never boring. We believed strongly in pushing the envelope, and trying new things. We were cool-driven, not 'me too'-driven."

Neither Williams nor his wife have played a game in over ten years. "We’ve only been in a software store a few times, and nothing inspired us," he said, claiming that the industry is "caught in a rut, and needs to move forward." "I wish Sierra still existed. We understood how to take risk, and make things happen. Here’s the problem as I see it: Production values have risen to a level that games are starting to cost $3 million to $10 million to produce. Double this amount to get the true cost to a company, by the time they promote and manufacture the product. At this level, companies can’t afford to take chances on defining new categories. You need to ship proven product into proven categories. Sierra didn’t play the game this way."

Williams' book, 'Crossing an Ocean Under Power', can be ordered directly from Williams at its official website, KensBook.com. Additionally, Williams runs a message board for Sierra fans to gather and reminisce called the Sierra On-Line Fan Site, which can be found at SierraGamers.com.

[Frank Cifaldi is a Las Vegas-based freelance author whose credits include work for Nintendo Official Magazine UK, Wired, and his own Lost Levels website.]
Also, the story, below, on Videogame Aesthetics briefly mentions Myst IV and Bone: http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20...yward_01.shtml
Old 10-18-2005, 02:31 AM   #2
Thats the ticket

Quote:
At this level, companies can’t afford to take chances on defining new categories. You need to ship proven product into proven categories. Sierra didn’t play the game this way."
Not at first Kenny boy, but what about all the sequals? KQ,PQ,SQ,LSL,QFG etc all spawned multiple sequels that didn't do anything truly innovative.

Face it, Sierra was getting into a rut and they made a good timely decision to sell the company.

I still would one day want to personally meet Roberta and Ken Williams and thank them for pioneering graphic adventure games.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:00 PM   #3
rio
Custom User Title

Quote:
Not at first Kenny boy, but what about all the sequals? KQ,PQ,SQ,LSL,QFG etc all spawned multiple sequels that didn't do anything truly innovative.

Face it, Sierra was getting into a rut and they made a good timely decision to sell the company.
I disagree. Sierra actually used the good strategy of using an established series to showcase new technologies, a method thats safe while still allowing you to be innovative. Take for example Gabriel Knight. Game 1 was 2d, game 2 was FMV and game 3 was 3d. Almost every Sierra series used multiple new technologies.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
cows are my friends...

No disrespect, but I don't get it. He says it's painful to watch from the sidelines, but he has no desire to get back in it and start something new. I'm not saying I blame him. I too would like to retire before I die, let alone sometime before 50. But which is it? You yearn to make new, innovative games and be a leader in the industry, or you want to sit on the sidelines and complain about how things are going downhill? Honestly, I agree with him that the state of games is largely pathetic. But he's in a position, and even seems to kind-of-sort-of want to do something, to change it.

No disrespect, but I smell BS. He's got nothing, and he's afraid to admit it. Enjoy your retirement, you've earned it. I'm insanely jealous of everything you've been through and of where you are today. But I'm just not buying it.

(man, I'm being mean today... what up with that?)
Old 10-18-2005, 05:54 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadriflax
No disrespect, but I don't get it. He says it's painful to watch from the sidelines, but he has no desire to get back in it and start something new.
You've never been in that position? Missing college but having no desire to go to grad school, that kind of thing?

I think he probably recognizes that even if he did get back into the industry, it wouldn't be the same as it was when he was a big player, and that even though he misses it, as a relatively young retiree he's having much more fun.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:04 PM   #6
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivasawadee

The sequels themselves were rarely innovative in terms of gameplay from one episode to the next, but what they did do was pay the bills so that innovative stuff could be done. Back in those days, every game didn't have to be a million-seller; even games that sold 150,000 or 200,000 units helped underwrite more expensive and innovative ideas. That's how new series got started, how Sierra games got sound card support before anybody actually owned sound cards, how entire sound studios got built without raising the price of the software for consumers, how games went from a half-megabyte to a hundred megabytes (again, without raising the price of the software), and so on. "Innovation" is a huge umbrella.

--Josh
Old 10-19-2005, 05:24 PM   #7
cows are my friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
You've never been in that position? Missing college but having no desire to go to grad school, that kind of thing?

I think he probably recognizes that even if he did get back into the industry, it wouldn't be the same as it was when he was a big player, and that even though he misses it, as a relatively young retiree he's having much more fun.
No. I got out of college, and man am I glad I am. School sucks. Not that work is any better, but that doesn't mean I want to go back to school. Besides, I gave those bastards enough of my money.

What I see is a former player knocking the state of things without offering any solutions. If he really wanted to get back into it, he would. So either he doesn't miss it enough to come out of retirement, or he's got nothing left to offer. Maybe both. Like I said, I couldn't blame the guy for never wanting to work again. But someone in his position could easily get back into things and start "innovating" if he wanted to. Not the same as it was? Isn't that the point? He could make it the way he wants to. He supposedly prides himself on his ability to revolutionize the industry. If he's that good at it, he doesn't have to fear the craptacular state of the industry because he'll just change it and make things all better. Why doesn't he? Again, because either he doesn't want to work that badly (making him contradict himself) or he's got nothing.

I'm just sayin'. There's really nothing stopping him except himself.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:32 PM   #8
OB

Quote:
If he really wanted to get back into it, he would.
Not necessarily.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:45 PM   #9
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
If he really wanted to get back into it, he would. ...
I'm just sayin'. There's really nothing stopping him except himself.
I'm sorry, but if I remember correctly, both Ken and Roberta had to sign a non-competition clause as part of the buyout. Not sure how long the term was, but it may very well still be in effect.

--Josh
Old 10-19-2005, 08:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho
I'm sorry, but if I remember correctly, both Ken and Roberta had to sign a non-competition clause as part of the buyout. Not sure how long the term was, but it may very well still be in effect.

--Josh
From the sound of things the buyer already broke the contract and since Sierra is no longer in business I am sure they could work around it.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:14 AM   #11
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
From the sound of things the buyer already broke the contract and since Sierra is no longer in business I am sure they could work around it.
As long as the Williamses received whatever compensation was due them for the sale, the contract wasn't broken. And Sierra is still in business.

--Josh
Old 10-20-2005, 04:49 PM   #12
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio
I disagree. Sierra actually used the good strategy of using an established series to showcase new technologies.
On the other hand, Sierra had a habit of obsoleting gaming technology. Laura Bow was the last game distributed on 3.5 disks. FPFP was the last game playable on a 386. Not saying that this was a bad thing. But Sierra was known for trashing platforms. If this equates with "showcase new technologies", you're right. They did a lot of that.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:20 PM   #13

That does make sense. People don't want to try new ideas today because it costs too much to do so now because the level of percision and how games take more work to live up to the potential of the technology which has increased.

That is why adventure games could still flurish in the fan community, because then the expectations of fufilling the technological potential are not the same, and using lower technology doesn't really destroy the experience of an adventure game, but I won't debate that here.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:47 AM   #14
Multi-dimensional avatar

I was the type to complain about Sierra in the mid 1990's, mainly about their decision not to make Quest for Glory V, which lasted multiple years. Still, the work that the Williams did was groundbreaking, I still love the Sierra games from the 1990's, and I don't blame Ken Williams for not getting back into the fray (assuming this stance is not based on a contractual obligation as some forum members here suggested).

The PC arena has changed drastically since the 1990's. I see it as mostly FPS games, various action games, and a big race to have the most addictive MMORPG with the most subscribers. I wish Sam and Max 2 would have been released, and not just because *I* myself wanted it so badly, but also to see how a new adventure game would fare in today's market.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:35 AM   #15
cows are my friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho

--Josh
If that's true, you think he would mention that somewhere. Like "I'd like to, but I can't because I signed it away." Or something. He's just remenising about the old days. He'd like to go back in time and run Sierra from the start again, not create new games with new technology. Or he's just plain out of ideas. All I'm saying is unless he legally CAN'T, then why complain about missing it when you can get back into it at any time you want? Seems ... odd. That's all.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:22 AM   #16
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
If that's true, you think he would mention that somewhere. Like "I'd like to, but I can't because I signed it away." Or something. He's just remenising about the old days. He'd like to go back in time and run Sierra from the start again, not create new games with new technology. Or he's just plain out of ideas. All I'm saying is unless he legally CAN'T, then why complain about missing it when you can get back into it at any time you want? Seems ... odd. That's all.
He has mentioned it. That's how I know about it. I don't think he's under any obligation to mention it every time he's asked about the gaming industry, in every interview, for the rest of his life.

But let's put that aside for the moment and assume that he's no longer under a non-competition clause.

Your argument is infinitely extendable. Have you, Quadriflax, ever complained about a game, or the gaming industry in general? If so, what has prevented you from getting a job in the industry and helping change it from within? Is there anything stopping you from working to become a game designer and making a better game?

Only the choices you've made are standing in your way.

--Josh
Old 10-21-2005, 10:50 AM   #17

What is a non-competition clause?
Did they actually agree never to make computer games again for as long as they lived?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:31 PM   #18
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple
What is a non-competition clause?
Did they actually agree never to make computer games again for as long as they lived?
A non-competition clause states that, for a given period of time, one party must not participate in the production of anything that would compete with whatever the other party produces.

How long the Williams's non-competition clause lasts, I don't know -- I don't remember reading it nor do I remember Ken or Roberta telling me. But even if it were a relatively short term -- say, 10 years -- it would still be in effect today.

Perhaps when Quadriflax gets a few (more?) years experience in the workforce, he/she will understand that it's not in the least bit odd to miss working in an industry that one poured one's heart and soul into for decades, without necessarily wanting to re-enter that particular rat race in one's later years.

--Josh
Old 10-21-2005, 02:00 PM   #19
Bearly Here

Quote:
How long the Williams's non-competition clause lasts, I don't know -- I don't remember reading it nor do I remember Ken or Roberta telling me. But even if it were a relatively short term -- say, 10 years -- it would still be in effect today.
That is actually an extremely long period of time for a non-comp clause. Courts routinely strike down such clauses if they are "unreasonable" and "unfair" Anything much longer than a year or two at most would qualify as "unreasonable restraint".

If they did sign an agreement containing such a draconian clause - it would be very doubtful [make that virtually impossible] Sierra could get it enforced.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:45 PM   #20
Third Guy from Andromeda

LauraMac,

I've heard of several people in the industry getting 5-year non-competition clauses.

The reason I'm suspecting that the Williams's clause was longer is that, within the last two years, Roberta Williams told the KQIX people that she could not, legally, look at or comment on the details of their fangame. That indicated to me that she was still under restraint of some form as part of her contractual obligation to the owners of the KQ franchise.

--Josh