You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Bad Brain company blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 06:02 PM   #61
merely human

At least he didn't get Silent Hill.

Whew!!!!

EDIT: I think I'll put Bloodrayne on my Netflix queue, just to see how bad it is.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-18-2005, 06:56 AM   #62
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

Whew!!!!

EDIT: I think I'll put Bloodrayne on my Netflix queue, just to see how bad it is.
Have you seen the Bloodrayne trailer? Trailers for action films are supposed to be exciting, well-paced creatures. This one... wasn't.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-18-2005, 03:51 PM   #63
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Ooooo i sure hope Silent Hill's story is as good as the games is!

It'll be great if they also capture the atmosphere
Old 10-19-2005, 09:30 AM   #64
Ranter

Quote:
My problem with him is that he spends far too much energy shooting his mouth off about how great these games are gonna be and how fabulous he is that he thought them up. I'd prefer he keep a low profile for a while and actually make the games first? Say, some very nicely done tech demos, screenshots, teaser trailer......you know, actual progress?
Well, for The Orgastic 4 they've released two screenshots, two tech demos (character animations), two music samples (plus several bits of concept art)... For i-jet they've released two music samples and seven casting videos... For A Whispered Wor[l]d they've released several screenshots and a demo... Do those count?

Yeah, BBE has dicked around the community, but I'm still willing to give them a chance if they ever actually publish anything.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:06 PM   #65
Your average crooner

Er... yes, no comment. That was it, no comment.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:48 PM   #66

This guy is cool. Makes me wonder what real professional programmers do/have done that we haven't been told about.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:58 PM   #67

This guy is an asshole, and it would take an incredibly hype and excellent reviews to make me buy anything that might possibly go out of his studio.
It's not even that I cared that much about Sam and Max 2, but I can't stand self-satified liars.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:18 PM   #68

All I know is, the only reason I know Bad Brain's games exist is because of Sam & Max and A Vampyre Story. We all know what happened with Sam & Max, and Autumn Moon parted ways with BBE because apparently they had no idea what they were doing. That or they had no money:

By that time I did not have remotly enough money on my own to finance a game project that size. But I made that clear from day one and told AME that I was sure to raise the money somehow.

... Sure to raise the money somehow? I could have said that!

So Bad Brain is now on the map. Intentional or no, I feel manipulated. Even if they publish a game, and it turns out to be good (!), it's hard to support a company that gained its initial attention by, you know, fan deception.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:26 PM   #69
Homer of Kittens

If the games they make are good, who cares? It's not like we lost any sleep knowing that bad-brain is not publishing Sam and Max, or parting ways with Autumn Moon. To me, it was rather entertaining. The more adventure developers, the better I say.

Firefox rules
Old 10-20-2005, 02:28 PM   #70

Kind of sad to think of adventure developers that get no attention, while BBE is well-known in the adventure community because they talk out of their ass. So yes, I do care.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:30 PM   #71
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
Kind of sad to think of adventure developers that get no attention, while BBE is well-known in the adventure community because they talk out of their ass. So yes, I do care.
Which adventure developers don't get attention in the adventure community?

Firefox rules
Old 10-20-2005, 02:36 PM   #72
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
If the games they make are good, who cares?
And it's not like we've decided not to buy games from certain dubious publishers just because they don't treat the developers better, or give them more credit for the game, or pay them well enough or whatever.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #73

You can know a developer exists and not follow them.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:45 AM   #74
A Servicable Villain

Look, you may not take my words as wholly objective and you don't have to, because I've been an intern at Bad Brain and worked closely with Wolfgang for months. I've been reading a lot of opinions on him in this thread, he's been bashed and defended, I laughed my ass off with the David Brent strip because I saw exactly where it was true and where the comparison was false. Let me give you my take on Wolfgang.

The man is fantastic. He's an outrageous, funny, healthy person. I think it says a lot about the industry that everyone's getting so excited because a CEO is just saying exactly how it is in a blog. Bad Brain deceiving? Sure, that's why he's putting it there in a blog. If you ask me, Wolfgang is just saying it as it is. Bad Brain isn't a huge publisher, they're a little company that have a massive job to do. Let me put it like this: do you honestly think that the little companies can be just as professional and machine-like as the big ones? I think you will find that a lot of the smaller companies are exactly like Bad Brain (maybe without a baby-eating CEO), they're just pretending they're more professional than they really are. That's a choice they're making, and Wolfgang obviously has chosen a more controversial route: being a bit more open about the inner workings of the company.

I'm not going to defend the mistakes that were made. Hyping up Sam & Max was not the wisest thing to do, but I wholly believe this was not a foil to get publicity. I know Wolfgang and I know of his peerless enthusiasm for the game. If anything, this sort of thing came from inexperience, not out of scheming. But what I don't understand is why he is being totally flakked all the time. Aren't we all despising publishers like EA for not having a heart for gaming and pooping out uninspired sequels? Then why the hell aren't we supporting a company that -if still finding its way- is extremely enthusiastic and genuinely caring about games (i.e., NOT in it for the money)?

Don't come to me with tales of who and who 'deserves it more'. I don't blame people for saying these things, but Wolfgang has built up everything he has with his bare hands and he works like a madman. And please don't stop making David Brent jokes because they're very funny and I know Wolfgang laughs as hard as us all about them. But also cut the man some slack. If you want every decision tippy-top and churned out by a board of executives -if you want professionalism to the point that it loses every charm- then by all means, go to the hojillion-dollar megacorps. But if not, if you can see the distinct charm of imperfection and beginning enthusiasm, you may want to give Bad Brain a tip of your hat instead of wiping your feet on it.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:22 AM   #75
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Which adventure developers don't get attention in the adventure community?
Maybe not in the adventure community, but down here the so called "mainstream" publications, including those which either ignore most adventure releases or often have no clue about their true creators (eg. atributting Return to Mysterious Island to TAC), all mentioned BBE releasing Freelance Police at one time or another. That's what I would call an undeserved publicity, to put it lightly.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:08 AM   #76
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Maybe not in the adventure community, but down here the so called "mainstream" publications, including those which either ignore most adventure releases or often have no clue about their true creators (eg. atributting Return to Mysterious Island to TAC), all mentioned BBE releasing Freelance Police at one time or another. That's what I would call an undeserved publicity, to put it lightly.
That sounds to me like it's more the fault of the publications, rather than the publishers. If the mainstream magazines and websites would talk more about the developer and less about the publisher, the general public could be more informed about this kind of stuff.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:36 AM   #77
Fum
Indegan Peningald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
he works like a madman.
I knew it. He's insane. I definitely like him now.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:13 AM   #78
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
But seriously, besides the realm of game journalists and people in the industry, or adventure game fans, how many people really know about bad brain. Actually let me ask this, how many "mainstream" fans care if Freelance Police is released or not. How many of them even know what Freelance Police is? From when were adventure games the interest of the mainstream people (not magazines)?

And judging by forumites opinions about the Whispered Wor[l]d demo, it seems like people like it, so obviously this guy is capable of making a good game. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, and judge him based on his work rather than his mouth.

Firefox rules
Old 10-21-2005, 09:53 AM   #79
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
But what I don't understand is why he is being totally flakked all the time.
Because he played the fans and media, plain and simple. Whether he fully intended to or not, he's reaping what he sowed. Trust is a foolish thing to burn by running your mouth. And frankly, "all the time" is completely exaggerated. The only reason THIS conversation is happening is because he's boasting about more of his lies. Well. If it's publicity he wanted with that, that's what he's getting. If it's affection, he'd better keep re-thinking his strategy until he gets it right.

Quote:
Then why the hell aren't we supporting a company that -if still finding its way- is extremely enthusiastic and genuinely caring about games (i.e., NOT in it for the money)?
There's nothing to support or not support. Bad Brain hasn't produced a single thing. We're just talking, just like Wolfgang. If they ever actually publish something, and people talk about boycotting, THEN you'd have a case to talk about support.

Quote:
If you want every decision tippy-top and churned out by a board of executives -if you want professionalism to the point that it loses every charm- then by all means, go to the hojillion-dollar megacorps. But if not, if you can see the distinct charm of imperfection and beginning enthusiasm, you may want to give Bad Brain a tip of your hat instead of wiping your feet on it.
Those are our two choices? Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb? How about we keep demanding that every company operate with some integrity, and hold them accountable when they don't? I'm kinda liking that idea.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:31 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
Name me a company that hasn't talked out of its ass once in a while. Even the biggest publishers in the industry make fake promises of 'Being on schedule' and promising a 'revolutionary new way to gaming', etc