Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Who do you hate the most for what they did to adventure games? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/11013-who-do-you-hate-most-what-they-did-adventure-games.html)

Tramboi 10-06-2005 02:28 PM

Who do you hate the most for what they did to adventure games?

LucasArts, you know what for...
Vivendi, for blasting Coktel, Sierra, killing KQIX...

Unleash the fury!

Wreck 10-06-2005 03:03 PM

What did lucasarts do...

squarejawhero 10-06-2005 03:05 PM

Vivendi for nixing KQIX and shitting on their back catalogue as if it's insignificant. If it wasn't for the original Sierra, they wouldn't be making games. They don't respect their company history.

Lucasarts at least do to a degree. The games are still available at least.

Udvarnoky 10-06-2005 03:10 PM

You can't give LucasArts credit for keeping their adventure back catalog available anymore, at least in the US.

squarejawhero 10-06-2005 03:14 PM

I live in the EU. Still widely available here.

Udvarnoky 10-06-2005 03:32 PM

Lucky. In the US you can get jewel case editions of Monkey Island 4, Grim Fandango, and Monkey Island 3 from their online store. That's it.

pinkgothic 10-06-2005 05:36 PM

*missing the "A sacrificial virgin" option* :9

Hamham Chan 10-06-2005 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wreck
What did lucasarts do...

Cancel Sam and Max 2.:frusty:

smashing 10-06-2005 07:43 PM

No Bill Gates?
How bout Eidos Interactive?
Maybe Sierra?
Or even EA?

Frankly, I don't hate LucasArts, since they gave us more joy than anything. Yes, the decisions to pull the plug off sequel to Full Throttle and Sam and Max are heart wrenching, but their contribution is tremendous. If LucasArts didn't break up its adventure game teams, we won't have such fine companies like DoubleFine and Telltale. No, I don't hate them.

Now, what did Viviendi do exactly? :D

I can't explain how much I hate vivendi...hurt sierra you sons of.....;(

Oh well.

After a brisk nap 10-06-2005 08:52 PM

On this particular day, I hate Vivendi more than perhaps any other company in existence. An excellent demonstration of the thesis that corporations are inherently sociopathic.

SirDave 10-06-2005 08:54 PM

Activision for putting out Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy.

(I'm just kidding; I'm just kidding)

Intrepid Homoludens 10-06-2005 09:05 PM

Whoah. That freaked me out for a second, Sir. :crazy:

Good one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snarky
On this particular day, I hate Vivendi more than perhaps any other company in existence. An excellent demonstration of the thesis that corporations are inherently sociopathic.

Because of KQ9? They had it coming....any company would have done the same.

Maquisard 10-06-2005 09:44 PM

Heh, I'm pretty mad w/ Lucas Arts, but that name still holds sentimental value. Vivendi, on the other hand, means nothing to me so...molten lava it is then. :P

SakSquash 10-06-2005 11:54 PM

I'd have to say collectors who keep hard to find adventure games, so the ones you do find go for $60 on ebay.

RLacey 10-07-2005 12:18 AM

There are publishers that I dislike more than either LucasArts or Vivendi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Vivendi for nixing KQIX and shitting on their back catalogue as if it's insignificant. If it wasn't for the original Sierra, they wouldn't be making games. They don't respect their company history.

Vivendi has always been a profit orientated company that bought up other companies (well, if you ignore its original existence as a water company), and has certainly been like that since they merged with Canal and Seagram in 2000 to form Vivendi Universal. If Sierra hadn't been available to buy, they'd have bought out a different publisher instead. They don't respect the company history because there isn't one as far as they're concerned.

smashing 10-07-2005 02:46 AM

[QUOTE=RLacey]There are publishers that I dislike more than either LucasArts or Vivendi.[QUOTE]

Oh? Like?

this is getting interesting! :D

RLacey 10-07-2005 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashing
Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
There are publishers that I dislike more than either LucasArts or Vivendi.

Oh? Like?

this is getting interesting! :D

Atari, for having released very few good products since Infogrames changed their name (and, without Unreal Tournament, seem to have fewer and fewer titles that I'm interested in). That and for not supporting their games properly with patches (the UK version of Pirates! couldn't be patched until 2KGames took it over).

EA. Yes, it appears to be fashionable nowadays to hate them, but take a look at the quality of the games they release. EA used to put out some really good titles, but now they just milk every franchise for all it's worth, and the stand-out titles are becoming rarer.

Activision. I hold them personally responsible for the bugged-to-hell final quality of Vampire: Bloodlines. That and they also seem to dislike patches. If you're going to release a buggy game, at least have the decency to fix it.

All of these companies also cancel games - they're just not adventure games :). And I've never actually had any problems with the customer support of either LucasArts or Vivendi (and I've used both).

:EDIT: To get it back on topic, EA closed down Westwood (Kyrandia, Blade Runner), though it's unlikely that they were about to make another adventure. All of these companies have at times handled AGs (Activision, after all, owns Infocom).

Hammerite 10-07-2005 06:31 AM

I think what Vivendi did was bad but hey, they DID publish Half-Life.