Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   What are some Horror or Freaky wierd games? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/10725-what-some-horror-freaky-wierd-games.html)

lisaatucla 09-28-2005 12:03 PM

What are some Horror or Freaky wierd games?

I'm looking for the game play like Syberia but with a Horror or Unusual theme, made after 2002. I played Alice, don't like shooting much in adventure games, I like puzzle solving.

Is there a scary one or one set in an amusement park that is worth it??

Kurufinwe 09-28-2005 12:22 PM

You really should have a look at Sanitarium. It's a tad older than 2002, but still looks good and plays great. It has an intriguing plot, as weird as you can get, and good puzzles (though not too hard, which you may prefer if you enjoyed Syberia).

It doesn't have an amusement park though, but in does have a carnival (on an island with dead bodies floating around it).

It's definitely one of my favourite games (in my personal top-10). I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

fov 09-28-2005 01:52 PM

Welcome to the forum. :)

Have you tried Still Life? It's made by some of the same people as Syberia, with a similar interface, but a much darker storyline. (Don't be alarmed by the picture of Victoria holding a gun. There is a little shooting but it takes place in cutscenes, not during gameplay.)

lisaatucla 09-28-2005 02:10 PM

I just put a bid on eBay for Still Life. The Sanitarium game has the exact theme I like, but the screenshots look so dated. I recently played Longest Journey and couldn't get over the graphics.

How are these:

Dracula Resurrection
Black Mirror
Phantasmagoria 2

Dohi 09-28-2005 02:21 PM

black mirror and phantasmagoria 2 are great! the former is like nibiru, only better and the latter is not really like the first phantasmagoria apart from both being interactive movies, but it's still very good! and you really should give a shot to sanitarium! apart from the annoying arcade parts (that you can try solving as long as you have to) it's brilliant. same goes for the longest journey and it doesn't even have arcade parts :) and besides, adventure gamers shouldn't be so keen on graphics :P

fov 09-28-2005 02:25 PM

Phantasmagoria 2 is much older than The Longest Journey. If TLJ's graphics look dated to you, Phantasmagoria's will probably look even worse. ;) They're FMV graphics, so somewhat different than TLJ's, but that makes them look dated the way a TV show or movie made in 1996 looks dated.

BerserkerTails 09-28-2005 02:39 PM

Well, I was going to suggest "Shadow of the Comet" and the amateur adventures "5 Days a Stranger" and "7 Days a Skeptic", but if you can't stand dated graphics, then don't play those.

You're definitely missing out on some classics though...

Jeysie 09-29-2005 12:38 AM

Heh. Personally I'd just get over the graphics... adventure games are about the story, after all. ;) Missing out on a lot of classics if you can't stand playing something older than 2002.

Besides, IMHO Sanitarium's graphics are beautiful, in a morbid sort of way. Sanitarium's cutscenes are one of the few uses of 3D that I don't find to be butt-ugly. (Remember the cutscene at the end of Chapter 1, those of you who've played it? Glorious!) The actual-play graphics are wonderful too... very artistically detailed. (In fact, there's a couple spots where you might even wish there was a bit *less* detail!)

To me, one of the wonderful things about older adventures is that tend to be so artistic and beautiful. Try to step back from 3D fever and truly study the wonderful talents of artists who put (sometims virtual) pen to (virtual) paper and drew the most lovely backgrounds and sprites they could in the graphical limitations of yesteryear. :)

Peace & Luv, Liz

samIamsad 09-29-2005 12:48 AM

Another good older one would be Veil Of Darkness. (http://www.mobygames.com/game/veil-of-darkness)

The combat difficulty can be set to ridiculously easy. Dracula Resurrection looked pretty pretty when it was released in 2001(?) - at least the cutscenes did - and that's about it. Don't go there...

seebaruk 09-29-2005 05:52 AM

I haven't played Syberia, but the Silent Hills are the best horror themed games you can get, and bits of 3 are set in a fraky amusement park (including a great bit in a haunted house). It's not an adventure, it's more of an action game admittedly but it has some puzzles in it, and although it does have combat you can turn this to easy while leaving the puzzles on normal/hard.

For another game similar to Phantasmagoria 2, try Gabriel Knight 2. Loads of great puzzles, some creepy moments, great story etc.

Zanthia 09-30-2005 02:24 PM

may be also Morpheus, though i think it was made befor 2002

Kwiksnax 09-30-2005 08:46 PM

Faust: Seven Games of the Soul is a pretty good first-person adventure with strong occult themes.

AlejandroSV 09-30-2005 09:10 PM

great horror

Hi.
I must agree with everybody, sanitarium is great, in a very wierd creepy way. And about The Longest Jounrey... that game is great, it is worth the dated graphics. And if by dated u mean the pixels, you can greatly improve the image quality by activating the antiliasing from your graphics card configuration. It looks preatty decent that way.
About horror games... well the best ones i've ever played are pretty old, for example phantasmagoria, gabriel knight 1, 2 and 3 (the third one has the worst graphics of them all, and the control... i hate it... but the game is sooo much worth it...). anyways, if you find something interesting let us know.

Fairygdmther 09-30-2005 09:32 PM

Sanitarium has much better graphics than Morpheus, which is often very pixelated. I second the vote for Faust, which takes place in a carnival atmosphere, and is my second favorite game ever. (first is Obsidian, but that is very hard to get). Another creepy one is Blackstone Chronicles. Some of that is a little too real for comfort, though.

Lynsie

eriq 09-30-2005 11:22 PM

You want WEIRD?!

Play the underrated Harvester! It's SOOOO creepy and fun. Very Twilight Zone.

ILoveYou 10-01-2005 01:14 AM

I hate no mouth and I must scream is messed up game, I hear :D

LeisureSuitedLooney 10-08-2005 01:09 PM

Try the re-release of Bad Mojo....not set in an amusement park, but if freaky is what you want, you should try it out....

colpet 10-08-2005 02:31 PM

Try Dark Fall The Journal for a real creepy experience.
Nancy Drew Haunted Carousel is set in an amusement park.Lots of good puzzles in that one.

Karmillo 10-08-2005 04:26 PM

The first game that came to my mind was "9: The Last Resort"
Its weird and creepy but set in a mansion (that has a sort of amusement park decor)
I never completed it but it was pretty crazy.....i wish i knew what i done with my copy now :frown:

Manhunter71 10-08-2005 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwiksnax
Faust: Seven Games of the Soul is a pretty good first-person adventure with strong occult themes.

And it's set in a circus environment - obviously not the same as an amusement park, but some of the circus folk are pretty freaky:crazy:

The game just has this weird atmosphere, which at some points can be very disconcerting:frown: