You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dreamfall too hot to handle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 04:02 PM   #21
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
Was it the veins that did it for you?
Veins, eyes, skin, lips, throat, hair, chin...............
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-20-2005, 05:08 PM   #22
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan
There´s no way this game will work on my computer.
Time to update my hardware.
Just bought another Dell for business from the refurb site. An 8400 with good video and audio for about $800. I hope this will work on this system. Still tweaking the 8300. It will probably work on that as well.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:46 PM   #23
adventurefan99

Certainly looking much better than I expected. All they need to do is tweak a couple of those low-res textures and it'll probably be the single greatest looking "non-huge budget" game on the market.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:03 PM   #24
merely human

Mmmm, nice place. I bet they mix a good martini there. Who wants to come join me? I'm buying.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-20-2005, 09:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney
Just bought another Dell for business from the refurb site. An 8400 with good video and audio for about $800. I hope this will work on this system. Still tweaking the 8300. It will probably work on that as well.
Welcome back.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:53 AM   #26
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Those scars...
Scars? I thought they were some kind of tattoo
Old 09-23-2005, 11:11 AM   #27
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Er. Dreamfall isn't prerendered except for cutscenes... but that shot is pretty clearly not from a cutscene. I am tempted to post a particular certificate in this reply but I'll refrain.
Oh you mean this certificate.

Sorry for using it, but it's just so awesome.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:25 AM   #28
OB

You can see a lot more of that shot in the trailer. The only difference is that the trailer version has a misty foggy look to it. That dolly shot is my favorite part of it.

Quote:
The water and the modelling isn't that impressive.
You're right. It's most excellent.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:51 AM   #29
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert
Is that real time 3d or pre-rendered? If it's pre-rendered then it's pretty standard, IMO.
Cleary, to be wrong, you have to make assertions that are incorrect, like this one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Dreamfall isn't prerendered except for cutscenes...
Which unless they change their mind and add some later, will be real-time.

I guess some kind of certificate is in order...
Old 09-24-2005, 08:40 AM   #30
Lazi

Was anticipating it since the beginning of this year, so disappointed to know it's postponed to next year
Old 09-24-2005, 09:37 AM   #31

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

^ It's such great news that it's postponed. I'm so tired of developers rushing their product. Now they will have more time to perfect it. Not to mention Xmas time is not a good time for all but the biggest games to be released. The rest are just lost in the chaos.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:00 AM   #32
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Cleary, to be wrong, you have to make assertions that are incorrect, like this one:

Which unless they change their mind and add some later, will be real-time.

I guess some kind of certificate is in order...
Oh no!

. . . . . . Jake

I should know better since I've seen the damn game two or three times. I guess I got the in-game cutscenes confused with the trailer. Lame me.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 09-30-2005, 06:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
You can see a lot more of that shot in the trailer. The only difference is that the trailer version has a misty foggy look to it.
It's the new gimmick. Simulated soft focus/diffuse filter called bloom by the programmers. Looks like it's just blurred linear frame mixed with the original.

Last edited by Aeropol; 09-30-2005 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #34

^ Isn't "bloom" the style that was said to be overused in Fable?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:56 AM   #35
merely human

It's in Fable? I don't remember seeing it, or it was far too subtle to make a difference. However, I it used well in Splinter Cell: CT and Hitman: Contracts. It's definitely being done for next gen console games. Creates a nice depth of field.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:06 AM   #36
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talas
Scars? I thought they were some kind of tattoo

Well, either that, or he collided with a very small mountain. OR it is the postal stamp of Arcadia, and the six send him by mail from place to place, to save on transportation expenses (after all, one father once sent his daughter as a baby chicken, because the transport fee for live animals was less than that for humans, and he couldn't otherwise afford to send her by train to her grandparents.)

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:20 AM   #37
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Of The Seven Annoying Grins
Well, either that, or he collided with a very small mountain. OR it is the postal stamp of Arcadia, and the six send him by mail from place to place, to save on transportation expenses (after all, one father once sent his daughter as a baby chicken, because the transport fee for live animals was less than that for humans, and he couldn't otherwise afford to send her by train to her grandparents.)

-
It actually might even be scarification.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:40 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
It's in Fable? I don't remember seeing it, or it was far too subtle to make a difference. However, I it used well in Splinter Cell: CT and Hitman: Contracts. It's definitely being done for next gen console games. Creates a nice depth of field.
By bloom, I'm talking about the lighting effects in Fable (and Prince of Persia). I was just wondering if this is the same effect being used in Dreamfall.

"The details in some of the textures are like chocolate syrup on a sundae and the heavy use of bloom lighting adds that element of fantasy similar to what we saw in Prince of Persia."

"The graphics in Fable use the much talked about bloom lighting technique, which is absolutely stunning, and it gives the game a fairy-tail look, but without being overly cute."

"Fable has a bright color palette (along with a large number of light bloom effects to give everything a warm look), a Disney-esque art style, and a fairly significant amount of voice acting."
Old 09-30-2005, 11:45 AM   #39
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Fable was criticized because bloom was "intense" and "overly dominant", and it's used basically everywhere in the game. Chaos Theory used it subtly, I haven't played Contracts. The Lost Chapters looks a lot different without so much bloom.

HDR is the main technology behind the depth of field in new games, then a bloom filter is applied over the top of it to make it nice and blurry, or "softer".

Ragnar said the graphics are looking a lot better, but again says the Xbox version looks very close to the graphics or even better than on the PC. Hides the flaws apparently being 640x480. I agree, being low poly and having some shocking texture work can be invisible on the Xbox. Yet I don't think this is a good thing, it shows not enough attention is being payed to the PC version.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:49 AM   #40
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Fable was criticized because bloom was "intense" and "overly dominant", and it's used basically everywhere in the game. Chaos Theory used it subtly, I haven't played Contracts. The Lost Chapters looks a lot different without so much bloom.
Actually now that I recall some parts of the Fable, I do remember there were many instances of bloom. However, none of it bothered me at all. I dunno what those critics were thinking, I think it helped beautify the world even more in a sort of impressionistic way.

I really admire how Chaos Theory handled it, you don't necessarily need to shove certain visual effects down people's throats.