You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best Endings In Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2005, 12:05 PM   #1

Default Best Endings In Adventure Games

For this topic I'd have to say Grim Fandango wins. Hands-down. It's very rare for a game to finish well, but Grim Fandango did that.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:34 PM   #2

The Dig and Syberia 2 both had good endings. Grim Fandango does too, although there's nothing that game doesn't do well.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

I don't know about Grim Fandango being the best ending. It was certainly good, but it was pretty typical. Kill the bad guy. Get the girl. There's nothing really exceptional about it. The most I can say is that they didn't **** up (which I suppose, by video game standards, makes it pretty damn good). It was just a good ending to a great game. But the best? I'd have to say no.

For me, a really great ending should have something unexpected or that is in some other way exceptional. The only examples that come to mind from adventure games are Monkey Island 2 and Gabriel Knight 3 (frankly, I'm shocked that Sierra would even publish something that ended the way GK3 did; especially the Sierra of 1999). Those, in my opinion, are truly great endings because they do more than simply wrap up the story. They really push the envelope in terms of what we expect an ending to do.

Basically, if when you're done you spend more time talking about the ending than the rest of the game, then that's a great ending.

mag
Old 09-17-2005, 02:03 PM   #4

I couldn't bring myself to finish GK3. What happened?
Old 09-17-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
jbd

The ending to Out of Order gave me a warm glow.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:20 PM   #6
mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoldier
I couldn't bring myself to finish GK3. What happened?
Spoiler:
As I recall, Gabriel finds a replica of the Temple, where he rescues the child from Montreaux. After defeating Montreaux, they open the tomb inside the temple and find the body of Jesus inside. Gabriel has a flashback to Jesus' crucifixion in which he finds out that the first schatenjager was a Roman soldier who helped crucify Jesus. The Wandering Jew comes in and takes away Jesus' body. And it ends with Gabriel returning to the inn where he finds that Grace has left to go study with the monks she mentioned earlier in the game.

mag
Old 09-17-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Basically, if when you're done you spend more time talking about the ending than the rest of the game, then that's a great ending.
This is mostly true, though I'd say that the Still Life ending has been discussed more than the game on these forums .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

I got a kick out of the ending(s) of King's Quest 6, seeing all the variations depending on who Alexander helped and met along the way...or didn't help, in some cases. Also enjoyed the unmasking of the Nemesis at the end of Zork: Nemesis, and all of the plot wrap-up that ensued. And I was touched by the final scene of The Longest Journey, was nice to see those characters reunite for one more conversation.

But for sheer craziness, I have to say that my favorite ending was the madcap prolonged chase scene in Leisure Suit Larry 3, followed by the twist at the end involving where Larry and Patti end up. Still makes me laugh, years later.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:27 PM   #9
Irritant F0rum Beasty

How about the ending of Simon the Sorcerer 2...

Spoiler:
The evil wizard effectively wins, imprisoning our hero in his now discarded mechanical body, while using Simons own body to invade our world.

Pretty unconventional to say the least, although admittedly the fact that Simon is such a detestable wee shite who had it coming leaves us oddly satisfied, as opposed to shocked.

Anyway, yeah I'd say that's one of the better endings Ive seen.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 09-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Spoiler:
As I recall, Gabriel finds a replica of the Temple, where he rescues the child from Montreaux. After defeating Montreaux, they open the tomb inside the temple and find the body of Jesus inside. Gabriel has a flashback to Jesus' crucifixion in which he finds out that the first schatenjager was a Roman soldier who helped crucify Jesus. The Wandering Jew comes in and takes away Jesus' body. And it ends with Gabriel returning to the inn where he finds that Grace has left to go study with the monks she mentioned earlier in the game.
A truly terrible ending. Awful. How anyone can like GK3's crappy story is totally beyond me. Of course I never was a GK fan...
Old 09-17-2005, 02:30 PM   #11
mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
This is mostly true, though I'd say that the Still Life ending has been discussed more than the game on these forums .
Okay, perhaps I should rephrase that. If when you're done you spend more time talking about the ending in a good way than the rest of the game, then that's a great ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
A truly terrible ending. Awful. How anyone can like GK3's crappy story is totally beyond me. Of course I never was a GK fan...
How can you not like GK3's ending? It's absolutely amazing! And sacrilicious!

mag
Old 09-17-2005, 02:35 PM   #12

Quote:
The story is thoroughly crappy, especially compared to the excellent first games, but the ending to it is okay. With the minor exception of
Spoiler:
fighting the demon Asmodeus, which is just crazy-silly
Old 09-18-2005, 12:57 AM   #13
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I really liked the ending of the Black Mirror. I would have been happy with a different ending, but it was a good ending to that story (it just fit. It would not have fit for many other games).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
I don't know about Grim Fandango being the best ending. It was certainly good, but it was pretty typical. Kill the bad guy. Get the girl. There's nothing really exceptional about it. The most I can say is that they didn't **** up (which I suppose, by video game standards, makes it pretty damn good). It was just a good ending to a great game. But the best? I'd have to say no.

Now why do you think it is typical? Because it's used a lot. Why is it used a lot? Because it is a good ending. Everyone is happy (except for the badd guy, who is in fact not happy at all).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 09-18-2005, 01:49 AM   #14
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoldier
For this topic I'd have to say Grim Fandango wins. Hands-down. It's very rare for a game to finish well, but Grim Fandango did that.

I completely agree with you, that ending really touched me emotionally..
Old 09-18-2005, 01:50 AM   #15
Adventure gaming addict

I have three favorites. First of all - Syberia 2. An excellent, emotional wrap-up of the story. I almost shed a tear.
Then there's Monkey island 2, who, no doubts, has the most original ending ever.
And last, but not least, the ending of Sam & Max. For those, who have forgotten...
Spoiler:
Two heroes save the yetti tribe and grow a forest.

Ain't that something?
Old 09-18-2005, 02:17 AM   #16
LA-S-LE

Best Ending, IMHO, is an unexpected and non-typical ending. So, smth like this:
Monkey Island 2
Simon the Sorcerer 2
Dreamweb
Touche: Adventures of 5th Musketeer
Old 09-18-2005, 02:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
How about the ending of Simon the Sorcerer 2...

Spoiler:
The evil wizard effectively wins, imprisoning our hero in his now discarded mechanical body, while using Simons own body to invade our world.

Pretty unconventional to say the least, although admittedly the fact that Simon is such a detestable wee shite who had it coming leaves us oddly satisfied, as opposed to shocked.

Anyway, yeah I'd say that's one of the better endings Ive seen.
Yep, nice ending.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:54 AM   #18

I think that the ending of "The Last Express" is one of the best endings in adventure games.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/ten...ing/page6.html
Old 09-18-2005, 05:12 AM   #19
mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
...but the ending to it is okay. With the minor exception of
Spoiler:
fighting the demon Asmodeus, which is just crazy-silly
Right. Because fighting werewolves and evil voodoo gods is totally realistic. But demons are just silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Now why do you think it is typical? Because it's used a lot. Why is it used a lot? Because it is a good ending. Everyone is happy (except for the badd guy, who is in fact not happy at all).
I didn't say it was a bad ending. It's just a very bland one. There's nothing that it does exceptionally well. There's nothing about it that stands out as being noticeably better than any other well done ending. It does everything an ending is supposed to do, but it doesn't do anything more than that. To me, that makes it a good ending but not a great one.

I think there's a tendency to want to believe that Grim Fandango's ending is better than it actually is because the rest of the game is so great. But if it were possible for us to look just at the endings of all these games, I really doubt there would still be as many people saying that Grim Fandango is the best.

mag

Last edited by mag; 09-18-2005 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:01 AM   #20

Quote:

Ever play the first two games? Truly the best adventure games I've ever played.

I also thought GK 3 was great, but I can understand if people hated it. The first two however, have great storylines, and great characters.