You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best Endings In Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2005, 08:40 AM   #61
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_minall
has everybody forgot about full throttle???

OH MY GOD!

sheer brilliance.
Again, I have to say that it was a good game, but the ending didn't seem particularly outstanding.

mag
Old 09-19-2005, 08:56 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
However, judging from your responses, I really don't think you're that interested in having an adult conversation. So I'm just going to take the same tactic I've taken with Aj_ in the past and start ignoring you now.
You do that, sweetie.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:56 AM   #63
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

I must say that I find that very few AG:s have good endings (and games in general for that matter). There have been a few decent ones (Syberia 2, BS1, Grim Fandango, MI1 and a few more), but generally I find the endings to be disapointments unfortunately.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 09-19-2005, 11:14 AM   #64
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I like the ending of TLJ -
Spoiler:
I was glad April didn't get stuck there for a thousand years keeping the balance in check - what a drag that'd be!

Many times the endings are just predictable, and that makes them less than great, but few games have really terrible endings, at least the ones that I've played.

Lynsie
Old 09-19-2005, 11:21 AM   #65
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Spoiler:
I was glad April didn't get stuck there for a thousand years keeping the balance in check - what a drag that'd be!

Many times the endings are just predictable, and that makes them less than great, but few games have really terrible endings, at least the ones that I've played.

Lynsie
I second that (what's in the spoiler) and it definitely makes me want to get Dreamfall to see what happens to her. That journey was such a life altering experience for her.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:32 AM   #66
Schoolgirl From Hell

I vote for The Last Express and TLJ.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 09-19-2005, 11:33 AM   #67

Quote:
I completely agree with both statements: that's exactly how I feel about endings in adventure games. Although... well, sometimes big predictable endings can be nice. I mean, when the game takes the time to bring together all the characters to thank the hero (as in QG2 or KQ6), I know it's just bad and cheap, but I like it.

More seriously, I'm very fond of the ending of The Last Express (well, I love the entire game, really). It had an unexpected surprise (the discovery of how Tyler had died caught me completely off-guard), it showed history and the motions of the world shaping the fates of the characters, it was sad (and, much more importantly: melancholic, giving the impression that a blissful age was coming to an end), it opened on an untold story (but not as in "look for the sequel in two years", but as in "that's life, there is always another story to tell, even though this one has to end here") and it even had a train and a few words in Russian: my ideal ending!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:41 AM   #68
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I'm with Ragnar on this one.

I did enjoy the endings of King's Quest 6 and A Mind Forever Voyaging (do text adventures count?).

For the most part, though, none of the games I've personally played that I would consider to have a truly excellent ending are adventure games.

I suppose it depends somewhat on whether you want to consider the entire endgame, or just the ending itself after all the actual play is done. There are several adventure games that have very enjoyable *endgames*, with Gabriel Knight 1 and Curse of Monkey Island coming to mind off-hand, but not necessarily great after-play end scenes.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 09-19-2005, 02:15 PM   #69
mag

Quote:
Spoiler:
Really? Because I was kind of annoyed by that. It just seemed like a really huge cop-out.

mag
Old 09-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #70
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Really? Because I was kind of annoyed by that. It just seemed like a really huge cop-out.

mag
I'm not at all surprised you don't agree - I haven't seen eye to eye with you on anything so far, why should it change now?

Lynsie
Old 09-19-2005, 03:16 PM   #71
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag

mag
How would you have ended it?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:38 PM   #72
mag

Quote:
I'm not at all surprised you don't agree - I haven't seen eye to eye with you on anything so far, why should it change now?
I do what I can, baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
How would you have ended it?
Spoiler:
If you're going to make such a big deal about her being the next Guardian, you can't end it with her NOT being the next Guardian. The hero's journey has to have some consquences. In The Longest Journey, they established quite firmly what the consquences of April's journey would be--her becoming the Guardian. If she then doesn't become the Guardian, it's like they're just avoiding that consequence.

So you really have two options. You can not spend the whole game talking about how April is destined to become the next Guardian, or you can actually make her become the next Guardian. But the way they did it just seemed like a huge cop-out. It's like they're trying to have their cake and eat it too.

mag
Old 09-20-2005, 07:53 AM   #73

Default Sq3

What about SQ3? That cracked me up way back in the day. I loved when those old Sierra games would go self-referential...

Also any game where choices you have made along the way affect the final cutscenes. I think QFG did this in a few games...
Old 09-20-2005, 09:15 AM   #74

I am absolutely for the ending of GK3. I loved the first game and couldn't wait for the second and third...I dream of a fourth, but know it's out of my control.

I remember crying in the end, and that doesn't happen to me very often after completing a game.

I also loved the ending of Syberia the TLJ.

Sounds like I need to check out the game Grim Fandango.