You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Worst Endings In Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2005, 01:13 PM   #21
SamNMax

Quote:
What makes you think it's not confusing.. it's been talked about for 14 years. People still don't know if MI2 was supposed to be the last part or not.
It was not supposed to be last in the series. Ron Gilbert has stated himself that he's always wanted to do an MI3 to clear that ending up.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #22
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
o rly? So, you liked the idea of Herman being Guybrush's grandfather?
Actually, yeah I did. But that part is well before the ending anyway.

mag
Old 09-17-2005, 02:14 PM   #23
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Dracula Resurrection. The ending's just a ploy to get you to buy the NEXT game. Ugh. Also hated the different endings for The Eleventh Hour...but I also pretty much hated the whole game, so at least it was consistent.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:20 PM   #24

One word? Anyway, three syllables : NI.BI.RU. !
Old 09-17-2005, 11:23 PM   #25
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Quote:
Well, Still Life's ending doesn't suck. It's a tease and a hint to all players that it is now safe to go and argue on the Internet about who the 'present day' killer was.

Spoiler:
Victoria McPherson.
Ok...uh...

Spoiler:
So...she shot herself? From fifteen feet away...from herself? She fell into the river after being shot by her own bullet that she fired while standing at the opposite end of the dock from herself? Or are you suggesting that she hired someone to dress like the killer specifically for the purpose of getting shot? Or...HUH?

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 09-17-2005, 11:27 PM   #26
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom
Actually Fallout starts with the whole world almost completely wiped out because of a nuclear war over oil.
I wonder who started that... *cough* George Bush! George Bush! *cough*
Old 09-18-2005, 12:16 AM   #27

I heard Jack The Ripper had a bad ending. As for Still LIfe:

Spoiler:
I'd say the killer is Victoria's boyfriend. The clues are all there. He owns an art gallery, for one, and is interested in the works of the previous killer. Who else could it be? You'd think the creators would have included the killer without his disguise on in the plot, so I can only think it's that gallery owner
Old 09-18-2005, 01:02 AM   #28
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

At the risk of repeating myself for the umph-teenth time. Two words: Torin's Passage.

So much potential for a great ending, but they messed it up.

Spoiler:
I mean, it was clear that the nurse was not the bad guy in the end. So they (Torin, the nurse, and Torin's adoptive parents) teleport back to the surface. And there it ends. It was clear that Torin was actually the Prince which had been kidnapped! And what about that Princess from one of the inner worlds? And the obvious bad guy has not been punished either. Hell, they don't even *SAY* anything at the end. And the location in front of the city gates was used for nothing. I think they had to hurry it all for some reason, and had actually planned a better ending.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 09-18-2005, 01:42 AM   #29
Senior *female* member

I can think of many indifferent or unsatisfying endings, but one that had me foaming at the mouth was the adventure in the category "Mystian", where you (an AFGNCAAP) die at the end. Yes, DIE! What were they thinking.

PS: And it was the only ending. No alternatives.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:34 AM   #30
LA-S-LE

Worst ending candidate list:
Dig (so standart and so stupid, almost ruined a game)
Return to Mystery Island (from recent time, the game was nice, but near the end all those awful puzzles and lame ending)
Torins Passage (huh?)
Police Quest 3 (despite the fact it's the best police-detective adventure ever, the last scenes sucked)
Lost in Time, Goblins, Prophecy and all other Coktel Vision games. The company made such great adventures, but had never been able to produce a good ending. How cruel is the world..

Oh yes, and Syberia.

Last edited by Ariel Type; 09-18-2005 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
I can think of many indifferent or unsatisfying endings, but one that had me foaming at the mouth was the adventure in the category "Mystian", where you (an AFGNCAAP) die at the end. Yes, DIE! What were they thinking.

PS: And it was the only ending. No alternatives.
That happens in other games, but I doesn't bother me if it well done.
Examples (two examples) of games in which you die at the end, but where it didn't disturb me:

Spoiler:

Dreamweb.
The Black Mirror.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:10 AM   #32
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Agreed. I also remember the text adventure
Spoiler:
Fahrenheit,
where you have several options at the end and one is death. The choices felt realistic and they were not win-win, which made it an emotionally very satisfying ending.

Quote:
Examples (two examples) of games in which you die at the end, but where it didn't disturb me:

Spoiler:

Dreamweb.
The Black Mirror.
I haven't played the first one, but concerning the second, and also the one I mentioned:
Spoiler:
Black Mirror it's a 3rd-person game and the main character has lots of history and personality. I have no problems with his death. When you're simply YOU in an adventure, no name, no background, no nothing, it feels very strange to "die" at the end. There's no-one to identify with, except yourself and you as a person are obviously not dead.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:21 AM   #33
Senior *female* member

I am a fool... why didn't I remember Riven? The player is an AFGNCAAP there too and yet you can die. Didn't feel odd, didn't make me foam at the mouth, it was plain SCARY to have
Spoiler:
Gehn with that cold expression on his face point his gun at you and pull the trigger!
So it does depend on the game and the story. In my example
Spoiler:
Golden Gate
dying at the end was downright silly and unsatisfactory as hell.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:27 AM   #34
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth

Spoiler:

Dreamweb.
The Black Mirror.

I think it didn't disturb you in the other games, because in at least one of them (don't know about the first one) you play in Third-Person. I would find it disturbing as hell to find that in a First-Person game I die at the end - it would be a too much like dying yourself. You know, there's a reason why you always wake up before you hit the ground in the famous "Falling dreams" - It's because few people could stand seeing themselves die, and so the brain strikes the alarm and makes you wake up. It's a survival mechanism.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 09-18-2005, 03:37 AM   #35
LA-S-LE

There was a scene in Dark Eye (first person also) where you were buried alive. Now that was scary!
Old 09-18-2005, 04:49 AM   #36
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I think it didn't disturb you in the other games, because in at least one of them (don't know about the first one) you play in Third-Person. I would find it disturbing as hell to find that in a First-Person game I die at the end - it would be a too much like dying yourself.
Heh... I said the exact opposite to Ninth, and at the same time I agree with you, isn't that weird. It all depends on the ending and the story, I suppose.

By the way, I have been thinking about the job interview. I would choose the Dolphin. Because his lack of hands and thumbs would disqualify him for many other jobs and the Ninja does not have that disadvantage. So there!
Old 09-18-2005, 04:51 AM   #37
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type
There was a scene in Dark Eye (first person also) where you were buried alive. Now that was scary!
O yes! One of the scariest games ever. But I didn't feel like ME in the Dark Eye, if you know what I mean.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:07 AM   #38

Send a message via ICQ to thesleepless Send a message via MSN to thesleepless Send a message via Yahoo to thesleepless

personally i thought dreamweb was one of the best endings to a game ever
Old 09-18-2005, 10:25 AM   #39
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I think that Runaway had possibly one of the worst endings in an adventure game that I have ever played.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:02 AM   #40
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Did anyone mention Lure of the Temptress? Well I'll will.