You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2005, 05:24 AM   #1

Default Finished Bone

Well, I finished the game this minute. I should have my review ready by the end of the day, and I'll post it on here before submitting it to IGO.

Oh, and yes, Bone was far too short.

Any questions you have right now, post them here and I'd be happy to answer them.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:39 AM   #2
Fulci lives

Neat!

Are there many minigames, and are they all like the chase sequence in the demo?

How large apart of the comic does the game depict?
(sorry, my grammar is lousy )
Old 09-17-2005, 05:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan
Neat!

Are there many minigames, and are they all like the chase sequence in the demo?

How large apart of the comic does the game depict?
(sorry, my grammar is lousy )
Spoiler:
There are perhaps five minigames. There's another chase scene, this time with Rat Creatures and it's slightly harder than the Locust one since the RC occasionally have bursts of speed.

There's another minigame where you need to slink away from two Rat Creatures while they are arguing. This can be frustrating and there were a few glitches here that should have been noted by the beta testers. Nothing serious. There are a couple of times when you need to play hide and seek, once with Fone and once with Phoney. I can't think of anything else really.

So no, the chase scenes aren't the only minigames. There are some pretty neat ideas in Bone, but it really lacks some puzzles. In fact, as Phoney, you’ll use a tactic on Ted's brother twice. At different points in the game, that is. This really smacks a lack of imagination on the part of Telltale, considering the short length of Bone: Out Of Boneville, and even if it was in the comic -- which I cannot remember -- it's disappointing Telltale did not take it upon themselves to add their own "bits".

I haven't read the comic for a while but it adheres very closely to it as far as I can remember and pretty much everything from the comic is in here. Yes, I'd hazard that everything from the comic is in the game. I can find out by emailing Telltale too.

Last edited by AudioSoldier; 09-17-2005 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:03 AM   #4

Oh, and how do I add a spoiler "cover thingy"?
Old 09-17-2005, 06:12 AM   #5
Super Moderator

[ spoiler ]Whatever you're spoiling[ /spoiler ] (Remove the spaces)
Old 09-17-2005, 06:16 AM   #6
Leo

I have one question. Does this appeal to non-Bone fans or is it simply aimed at fans of the comic? I ask this because I never heard of the comics before this game was announced. So would I have to read the comics to enjoy the game?

Oh yeah, about the spoilers: just add the spoilers between [spoiler#] [/spoiler] without the # .

Edit: Curses, I'm too slow as always . Dale, you finished the game didn't you? And if I remember correctly you said you never read the comics (or was that someone else?) So did you enjoy the game without having read the comics?
Old 09-17-2005, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
I have one question. Does this appeal to non-Bone fans or is it simply aimed at fans of the comic? I ask this because I never heard of the comics before this game was announced. So would I have to read the comics to enjoy the game?

Oh yeah, about the spoilers: just add the spoilers between [spoiler#] [/spoiler] without the # .
You don't have to be a fan. The game's humour might be enough to make you one. There's little back history needed. Since the Bone game is based off of the first comic, playing the game is equivalent to reading the comic. So no, you certainly don't need to be a rabid Bone fan to enjoy it.

Edit: Though it could be argued that you might garner more enjoyment if you already love the characters.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:22 AM   #8
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoldier
I haven't read the comic for a while but it adheres very closely to it as far as I can remember and pretty much everything from the comic is in here. Yes, I'd hazard that everything from the comic is in the game. I can find out by emailing Telltale too.
Ok, how does the game end?
you could put up the answer with spoiler cover thing, so people who haven´t read the comic wont get pissed.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:24 AM   #9
Leo

Quote:
You don't have to be a fan. The game's humour might be enough to make you one. There's little back history needed. Since this is based off of the first comic, playing the game is equivalant to reading the comic. So no, you certainly don't need to be a rabid Bone fan to enjoy it.
Thanks for your answer. It just seems that most people here have read the comics and I seem to be one of the few who have never even heard of Bone, let alone read the comics. However I'm hesitant to buy the game since it's so short. I'll wait till I read more reviews before deciding.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Ok, how does the game end?
you could put up the answer with spoiler cover thing, so people who haven´t read the comic wont get pissed.
Spoiler coming up.

Spoiler:
Basically, you reach Grandma Ben's farm, do some chores as Phoney and Fone. Then, a cutscene is signalled and you wake up in the night to find Rat Creatures have surrounded the farm. You, as Fone, must run away from the Rat Creatures. Once you've done so successfully a cutscene is triggered as Fone, Phoney and Smiley re-unite at the fair, with Grandma Ben and Thor watching. The game truly ends as a mysterious voice concedes that Phoney has been saved by his cousins this time, but that it won't happen again. Then the credits are brought up. You don't know who the mysterious voice is or why he/she wants Phoney.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Thanks for your answer. It just seems that most people here have read the comics and I seem to be one of the few who have never even heard of Bone, let alone read the comics. However I'm hesitant to buy the game since it's so short. I'll wait till I read more reviews before deciding.
Well, I suppose you could wait until more Bone games are released, and perhaps buy a "special pack" at a reduced price, if Telltale ever do that.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:09 AM   #12
Fulci lives

Quote:
Spoiler coming up.

Spoiler:
Basically, you reach Grandma Ben's farm, do some chores as Phoney and Fone. Then, a cutscene is signalled and you wake up in the night to find Rat Creatures have surrounded the farm. You, as Fone, must run away from the Rat Creatures. Once you've done so successfully a cutscene is triggered as Fone, Phoney and Smiley re-unite at the fair, with Grandma Ben and Thor watching. The game truly ends as a mysterious voice concedes that Phoney has been saved by his cousins this time, but that it won't happen again. Then the credits are brought up. You don't know who the mysterious voice is or why he/she wants Phoney.
Thenk you.
So the first episode basically covers all of Bone book 1.
I guess that means we´ll get to see The Cowrace in the second game, yay!
Old 09-17-2005, 07:25 AM   #13
Snowden

What age groups is Bone targeted at?

Old 09-17-2005, 07:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Thenk you.
So the first episode basically covers all of Bone book 1.
I guess that means we´ll get to see The Cowrace in the second game, yay!
The second game is indeed entitled "The Great Cow Race".
Old 09-17-2005, 07:37 AM   #15
peb
Colossal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowden
What age groups is Bone targeted at?
I would think all ages. It might be slightly scary and/or hard for kids, but I could see them being entertained by the characters and story.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by peb
I would think all ages. It might be slightly scary and/or hard for kids, but I could see them being entertained by the characters and story.
It's not scary at all. Everyone, of all ages should find Bone enjoyable and because there is a hint system, you can never get frightfully stuck.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:34 AM   #17
peb
Colossal

Quote:
It's not scary at all. Everyone, of all ages should find Bone enjoyable and because there is a hint system, you can never get frightfully stuck.
You and I don't find it scary, but I'm just qualifying my point that if it's for people of all ages, then little kids might find it so. But then, I wouldn't know if little kids would be have the attention span to play the whole thing anyway.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by peb
You and I don't find it scary, but I'm just qualifying my point that if it's for people of all ages, then little kids might find it so. But then, I wouldn't know if little kids would be have the attention span to play the whole thing anyway.
I see your point.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Any questions you have right now, post them here and I'd be happy to answer them.
Is this game will be translated in any other languages
Old 09-17-2005, 11:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-side
Is this game will be translated in any other languages
Right now it is English only. I don't know about what Telltale plan to do in the future, but I'd hazard that they won't translate the game into any other languages, either. You only really need a basic grasp of the language, anyway; although some of the characters speak in purposefully disjointed English, which may present problems for foreigners to the language.