You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2005, 10:04 AM   #41
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
I wouldn't say that. In fact, I'd go as far as saying the impression you get from the demo is very representative of how you'll like the rest of the game. Both the best and the worst part. The game was flat and boring, and had no tension when needed, no timing in the jokes, and Thorn was a terrible character overall, and was nowhere near as good as in the books. And how can they use the same ****ing puzzle twice in a game THIS short??? Not to mention the action-sequence.
"That's your opinion, dude."

I'll be the first to admit it isn't a great game - it's average at best. But IMHO it isn't truly awful like a great deal of the other indie games that are often offered at around the same price tag.

What rescues it is the character (minus "Yawn" Thorn), some sparky dialogue, good music, some reasonable attempts at staying refreshing and the occasional characterful animation. But I also expected a lot more from this lauded studio... if they want to compete with actual animation, they've got a long way to go.

I hate to say this, as there's a reasonable amount I like in it, but it makes me wonder if S+M2 being cancelled was really that big a deal. Most of its problems are due in main to its budget and timeframe of completion, at a guess. I view it more as an experiment... but its quality varies wildly though, which is my main problem with it. You'll have some models and animation true to the novel, like the possums and the Dragon, then you'll get some really bad stuff like Thorn, Grandma, the BG's...

More on it when I'm not on dialup.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:06 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
Well on the plus side, it is probably the funniest adventure game to come out this century. Honestly, I can't think of anything adventure games wise in the last few years that has been funnier than Bone.
Actually I didn't find the game funny at all. The book was funny, but the presentation was just so out of key in the game that they didn't make it very funny. And they left out the best parts of the book. Where did the winter part go? Plus "I've been looking all over for you" didn't feel very sincere, considering you only learned about Thorn two screens away.

But the best character in the whole game was Phoney Bone, I wish I could've controlled him most of the time. The game had way too little Phoney in it, considering how much of the book covered him.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:08 AM   #43
Writer-Designer

For me, Phoney was the only character that came across anything like how he was in the comic.

By the way, I was playing the hide and seek all wrong for a little while.
Spoiler:
When I was a kid the hot and cold business was based on how close or far from the hidden object the seeker was. In the Bone game it was based upon the direction the seeker was facing.
Is this a difference in culture or just a variation for the game?

Last edited by fov; 09-21-2005 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags
Old 09-21-2005, 11:19 AM   #44
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince
By the way, I was playing the hide and seek all wrong for a little while. When I was a kid the hot and cold business was based on how close or far from the hidden object the seeker was. In the Bone game it was based upon the direction the seeker was facing. Is this a difference in culture or just a variation for the game?
I don't think it's a cultural thing.
Spoiler:
Initially I was trying to do it based on where the possums were... took me a while to realize they were responding based on the direction they were facing.
(I felt smart when I did figure it out, though!)

Last edited by fov; 09-21-2005 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:31 AM   #45
Citizen of Bizarro World

If a mod wouldn't mind spoilerizing Steve Ince's post? It sounds like a rather big give-away for those of us who haven't played the game yet...
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 09-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #46
Antibacterial

Send a message via MSN to RemiO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
If a mod wouldn't mind spoilerizing Steve Ince's post? It sounds like a rather big give-away for those of us who haven't played the game yet...
Really, what do you expect in a thread called "Finished Bone"? ¬
Old 09-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #47
Citizen of Bizarro World

Impressions about the game, recomendations?

Old 09-21-2005, 11:57 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
Where did the winter part go?
This was explained in a Telltale article awhile back. Basically, good looking snow would have caused the download size to be bloated more than Telltale wanted, and between bad looking snow or no snow at all they opted for the latter. The scenes themselves are still there.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:00 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I hate to say this, as there's a reasonable amount I like in it, but it makes me wonder if S+M2 being cancelled was really that big a deal.
You're clearly insane. The hugely different budget, schedule, and resources are only a fraction of the difference between the two productions. Plus Bone was good. I think I'd agree that most of its problems are due to budget and time constraints.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #50
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
This was explained in a Telltale article awhile back. Basically, good looking snow would have caused the download size to be bloated more than Telltale wanted, and between bad looking snow or no snow at all they opted for the latter. The scenes themselves are still there.
Unless they said this elsewhere, the explanation was that changing seasons would have required whole different wardrobes for the characters, and that's what Telltale was trying to avoid. Too bad, though, because the "arrival" of winter was unquestionably my favourite panel in the book.

As for the game, the highlight was Phoney's stomach. Hilarious!
Old 09-21-2005, 12:18 PM   #51
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
Eh, it's mild, but what the hell. (Added them to my own post, too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Unless they said this elsewhere, the explanation was that changing seasons would have required whole different wardrobes for the characters, and that's what Telltale was trying to avoid. Too bad, though, because the "arrival" of winter was unquestionably my favourite panel in the book.
IIRC it was both things (the need for realistic snow as well as the need to change wardrobes), and maybe also a need to change walking animations. I think the fact that they thought about all these things, and made the decision to leave out winter as a result, shows how much they're paying attention to detail.

Gotta agree, the "whump" arrival of winter is my favorite part of the comic, too.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:27 PM   #52
Citizen of Bizarro World

In a game this small, I figure all puzzle solutions would serve to drastically reduce playtime, so...

It's funny though, I would've read that line anyway, even if it was under spoiler tags. I cannot resist those white blobs of mystery!

Old 09-21-2005, 10:11 PM   #53
Writer-Designer

Sorry about that.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:42 AM   #54

Well I hope Telltale do a better job with The Great Cow Race.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:58 AM   #55
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I feel confident that Bone Volume 2 will turn out better. Listening to the feedback, Telltale will be aware of the first games strengths and weaknesses now. Also, I think that The Great Cow Race would be more suited to an adventure game, hopefully a bit more non linear.

It will probably focus more on Phoney and Smiley's antics this time, and there are also some scenes which could make really good use of the multi - conversation thingy, like when Fone Bone has his confrontation with the "hunky" farm boy, that could be really funny.

I'd also be really interested to see how they work Fone Bone love poetry into it, maybe they could turn it into a mini game.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:50 AM   #56

Quote:
I feel confident that Bone Volume 2 will turn out better. Listening to the feedback, Telltale will be aware of the first games strengths and weaknesses now. Also, I think that The Great Cow Race would be more suited to an adventure game, hopefully a bit more non linear.

It will probably focus more on Phoney and Smiley's antics this time, and there are also some scenes which could make really good use of the multi - conversation thingy, like when Fone Bone has his confrontation with the "hunky" farm boy, that could be really funny.

I'd also be really interested to see how they work Fone Bone love poetry into it, maybe they could turn it into a mini game.
Yes, I think the first episode always had the greatest change of failing, merely because it had the task of introducing the characters somewhat. Now, Telltale can move on and incorporate many more conundrums into the mix.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:06 AM   #57
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
I feel confident that Bone Volume 2 will turn out better. Listening to the feedback, Telltale will be aware of the first games strengths and weaknesses now.
Telltale's latest blog suggests that they're doing exactly that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telltale blog
It’s a harrowing and exciting experience to sink your soul into a project and then let the world at it. I want to thank everyone who has taken time out of their day to play our game and record their thoughts on both its successes and shortcomings. It’s been invaluable to the Telltale staff to sift through the letters and assess what we can accomplish going forward as we continue to grow in the land of episodic adventure games.

The knowledge that we’re going to be able to iterate upon the momentum of this first game in an extremely short time has me excited for the future of Telltale and the adventure game genre in general. I’ve not experienced this option in all my years in the games industry and I’m chomping at the bit to roll up the sleeves again and refine our hits and rethink our misses.
I find it pretty encouraging. (The blog also has a really cute cartoon to go with it.)
Old 09-22-2005, 10:13 AM   #58
Under pressure.

I doubt people who didn't buy the 1st game will buy the 2nd one, even if it's been significantly improved.

--Erwin
Old 09-22-2005, 10:28 AM   #59
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
I doubt people who didn't buy the 1st game will buy the 2nd one, even if it's been significantly improved.

--Erwin
Maybe they'll be persuaded with a significantly improved demo?
Old 09-22-2005, 10:53 AM   #60

The problem with this episodic format is that you feel compelled to buy the games in order, so as to experience the story coherently. I think Telltale will seriously have to re-evaluate their $20 price tag if they wish to release nine Bone games. I for one would not pay $180 for, say, twenty hours of gameplay. How about you all?

Well, either Telltale change the price, or up the length of the future episodes.

-Edward