You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Microids has done it again, bravo!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 12:21 AM   #1

Default Microids has done it again, bravo!

I was surfing without any purposes just now, and happen to learn that Still Life is out. So I went checking the details of it. To my greatest astonishment, I find it nearly a sequel to Post-Mortem, one of my most favourite games by Microids. Of course I like Syberia I and II. But Post-Mortem is yet another style with equally elegant artwork not to mention the great voice acting.

I immediately jump into this forum, and try to share my excitement with all of you. I just briefly read the review, lest to learn whe whole story. In all honesty, I haven't played to the completion of Post-Mortem yet after getting the box for 2 years now! Looks like I should proceed now because Still Life is waiting out there.

A long 2 years. I think another one will come in 2007, oh what a wait!
Old 09-14-2005, 12:40 AM   #2
Master of time and space

Still Life is not really a sequel to Post Mortem. Well in a way it is, but you can play Still Life without having played Post Mortem and you won't miss out on anything.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:53 AM   #3
gin soaked boy

Wellcome to the forums!

You'll find there are plenty of threads about Still Life to read through once you've beaten the game, just use the search function.

And Microids Canada has recently been absorbed and disbanded by Ubisoft so I'm sorry to say that it's not very probable there will ever be another game.

Not that I care about Microids' games that much, but it's a shame nevertheless.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:19 AM   #4
Ankh Morporkian

happy for ur excitement. Too bad Still Life blows donkey cock
Old 09-14-2005, 04:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by seek83
Wow, that's a really interesting piece of information here...

Anyway, it's always nice to see some people being enthousiastic about recent old school adventures. Hope you enjoy Still Life as much as I did, Misunderstood Man.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:10 AM   #6
Psychonaut

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the game, but I don't remember that scene
Old 09-14-2005, 05:43 AM   #7
Master of time and space

I thought it was a good game, but a little to linear for my taste. Great story though and beautiful environments!
Old 09-14-2005, 06:12 AM   #8
Evil Webmaster

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't put it so bluntly. Maybe a horse one? Nah they're even... whoops

Anyway I don't know what's so old school about Still Life, I mean when I think old school I think 'solid plot, interesting characters, sensitive puzzles'. But maybe that's just me.
So there you go
Old 09-14-2005, 07:20 AM   #9

Still Life is a great first half of a game.

Antoinetta
Old 09-14-2005, 07:38 AM   #10

ubisoft confirmed there is another game in the works, this was announced after the Microids Canada disolved
Old 09-14-2005, 07:53 AM   #11
Hopeful skeptic

Even if there were rumours to that effect floating around, Ubi doesn't own the rights to Still Life, so that wouldn't be their announcement to make.

And welcome to AG, TMMM. I didn't think much of Post Mortem, but I did enjoy Still Life.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:11 AM   #12

I first came to know Benoït Sokal wasthe discovery of Syberia, and not long later did Post Mortem came to the market. Benoït Sokal' skills is recognised by many and his talents is well known. There are many adventure games out there in the market and I have a very small collection of these various titles. Only Syberia and Post Mortem impress me. The other favourite of mine is Alone in the Dark 4 and that's really all.

I believe it is very subjective one likes an adventure game or not. I personally prefer a great story and a good plot with a little surprise. As far as puzzle goes, I don't really care that much. When I play Syberia, I feel like I am watching a motion picture and along the way, I was told a story. Same to Post Mortem.

I am glad that Still Life is released. I just bought it. I truly look forward to Benoït Sokal's work. Is Lost Paradise cancelled?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:35 AM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

Benoit Sokal was not involved with Post Mortem or Still Life.

Paradise (formerly called Lost Paradise) is still on schedule for a February 2006 release. Sokal left Microids about a year before the bankrupcy and is working on Paradise with a company he started. You can read more about the game in our E3 preview.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:00 AM   #14
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

TMMM - I agree with you on Benoit Sokal. His work is genius in my book. You might like to try Amerzone, the game he made before Syberia I & II. It is 1st person, rather than 3rd person, but equally gorgeous.

Lynsie
Old 09-15-2005, 12:11 AM   #15

I like open ended stories with many different paths.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
TMMM - I agree with you on Benoit Sokal. His work is genius in my book. You might like to try Amerzone, the game he made before Syberia I & II. It is 1st person, rather than 3rd person, but equally gorgeous.

Lynsie
Hm. Everyone keep saying this, but I found Amerzone pretty ugly compared to Syberia... I'm wondering if I could have missed something here.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:55 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Hm. Everyone keep saying this, but I found Amerzone pretty ugly compared to Syberia... I'm wondering if I could have missed something here.
I've played all 3 and I think it was the graphics. Had he had the capabilities he had with the Syberias, it might have looked better. The different animals were cool but the game was much shorter than Syberia I or II. Personally, I got lost (in a good way) in both Syberias regardless of the shortcomings others have pointed out.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I've played all 3 and I think it was the graphics. Had he had the capabilities he had with the Syberias, it might have looked better. The different animals were cool but the game was much shorter than Syberia I or II. Personally, I got lost (in a good way) in both Syberias regardless of the shortcomings others have pointed out.
Ah yes, Amerzone was insultingly short, I finished it in one sitting a saturday afternoon.

And I had the same feelings regarding the graphics, but since people keep telling how gorgeous it was, I'm beginning to wonder if I hadn't miss some graphical options or something.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:21 AM   #19
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Ah yes, Amerzone was insultingly short, I finished it in one sitting a saturday afternoon.

And I had the same feelings regarding the graphics, but since people keep telling how gorgeous it was, I'm beginning to wonder if I hadn't miss some graphical options or something.
Well, you're a much better player than I am! It took me 7 hours on a second playthrough, when I knew what to do. It probably took me 15 hours on the first. I don't do well in underwater scenes though, so that probably delayed me some.

As far as the graphics - I thought the scene in the misty jungle when you were looking for the animals to take you from there and the ride itself were exquisite.

Lynsie
Old 09-15-2005, 04:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Well, you're a much better player than I am! It took me 7 hours on a second playthrough, when I knew what to do. It probably took me 15 hours on the first. I don't do well in underwater scenes though, so that probably delayed me some.

As far as the graphics - I thought the scene in the misty jungle when you were looking for the animals to take you from there and the ride itself were exquisite.

Lynsie
It's not the graphics that I didn't like, exactly, more than they weren't very sharp, a bit blurry, and with a crude resolution.

And the only parts where I was stuck was when I didn't see a travelling hot spot. (like you underwater, I guess)