You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Triangle DOTT on ebay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 12:47 AM   #21
Master of time and space

I just bought the rerelease (Lucasarts classics range) of Sam n Max/Day of the Tentacle for 119 kr (~$18). I'm not a collector I want the game, prefferably in a DVD-case and I want the enhanced (and patched) version if it exists

*edit*
This is value for the buck. I've lost all my originals during my teen years and this is a great way of reaquiring them for a low buck.

Here's the rest of the line. I wish they would release Monkey Island 1 & 2, Indy 1 & 2, Loom and Zak McKracken as well...
Old 09-13-2005, 12:54 AM   #22
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_manelius
I really can´t understand how people can pay so much for a game, I mean it´s just a game, even though it´s rare..
I'm afraid I can...

I very seldom spent more than 60-75 on any adventure, though. The triangular DOTT is an exception.

And the ones I truly cherish are the rare works of art, like Alice: An Interactive Museum, that I searched for high and low, and one day I found it in a dark ebay corner, hidden under a pile of junk. I bid on it and got it for 2.50. My best ebay moment ever.

PS: AD 2044 is a very mediocre game, or I would have kept it. Subpar really. A serious candidate for the worst voiceacting ever.

Last edited by Fien; 09-13-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:03 AM   #23
Under pressure.

I've been lucky with a few Ebay games as well, but bargain bins in non-game stores are the best!

--Erwin
Old 09-13-2005, 07:16 AM   #24
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_manelius
I really can´t understand how people can pay so much for a game, I mean it´s just a game, even though it´s rare..
It's the memories, the packaging, the original box, the discs, ... everything. These are treasures for some of us! And to get an original in pristine condition is an exciting thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
I've been lucky with a few Ebay games as well, but bargain bins in non-game stores are the best!

--Erwin
I always hear of people talking about bargain bins in non-game stores and such. Where are these places? Goodwill? I'm confused. I want to go shopping!
Old 09-13-2005, 10:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
I always hear of people talking about bargain bins in non-game stores and such. Where are these places? Goodwill? I'm confused. I want to go shopping!
Hi. Newbie here. You folks are talking about one of my favorite subjects. Vintage PC games. I check charity stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, American Way, etc) and any thrift store I come across. Have had quite a bit of good fortune. Just last week pick up copy of Conquests Of Camelot: Search For The Holy Grail complete and in very good condition for $4.95 plus tax.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:27 AM   #26
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra-Loo
Hi. Newbie here. You folks are talking about one of my favorite subjects. Vintage PC games. I check charity stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, American Way, etc) and any thrift store I come across. Have had quite a bit of good fortune. Just last week pick up copy of Conquests Of Camelot: Search For The Holy Grail complete and in very good condition for $4.95 plus tax.
there are definetely no sierra games in any of the goodwill type stores here in San Francisco. Forget it!
Old 09-13-2005, 10:51 AM   #27

Quote:
there are definetely no sierra games in any of the goodwill type stores here in San Francisco. Forget it!
The pickings are rather slim here in Raleigh, NC as well. But every now and then I do hit the jackpot. Of course, I do tend to check these stores out on a weekly basis. It's all a matter of timing.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:41 AM   #28
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
It's the memories, the packaging, the original box, the discs, ... everything. These are treasures for some of us! And to get an original in pristine condition is an exciting thing.
Yes, to get the original package containing everything is very exciting. When I started buying used games online a few years ago, my goal was to collect all LucasArts adventure games. I finally managed to do that a few months ago and now I feel like I have everything I need, when talking about old computer games.

There are of course some other old games that I still would like to own, but these days I'm now more interested in buying used GBA and DS games.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:08 AM   #29
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
I'm afraid I can...

I very seldom spent more than 60-75 on any adventure, though. The triangular DOTT is an exception.

And the ones I truly cherish are the rare works of art, like Alice: An Interactive Museum, that I searched for high and low, and one day I found it in a dark ebay corner, hidden under a pile of junk. I bid on it and got it for 2.50. My best ebay moment ever.

PS: AD 2044 is a very mediocre game, or I would have kept it. Subpar really. A serious candidate for the worst voiceacting ever.
The most I've spent on a game on Ebay is £18 (including shipping). And that was for the DVD version of Schizm. I know all lot of people dislike it, but I like the concept. And if I'm going to play Schizm I have to play the DVD-version.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:25 AM   #30
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Yes there are. I just buy them up before you get there.

Over the past two years or so I've bought boxed copies of Codename: Iceman, Space Quest 1 VGA (shrinkwrapped), Castle of Dr. Brain, Lighthouse (shrinkwrapped), Sierra Award Winners (includes KQ5, Red Baron, and Rise of the Dragon), PQ1 VGA, PQ4 (on floppies!), and Dagger of Amon Ra, as well two Tex Murphies and a few others, at San Francisco-area Goodwill stores. Actually, looking at my shelf, I've found more boxed Sierra games at Goodwill than any other publisher.

Thing is, they're used, and often a little beat up or incomplete. But what a great feeling when I find one.

Last edited by fov; 09-14-2005 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:33 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Yes there are. I just buy them up before you get there.

Over the past two years or so I've bought boxed copies of Codename: Iceman, Space Quest 1 VGA (shrinkwrapped), Castle of Dr. Brain, Lighthouse (shrinkwrapped), Sierra Award Winners (includes KQ5, Red Baron, and Rise of the Dragon), PQ1 VGA, PQ4 (on floppies!), and Dagger of Amon Ra, as well two Tex Murphies and a few others, at San Francisco-area Goodwill stores. Actually, looking at my shelf, I've found more boxed Sierra games at Goodwill than any other.

Thing is, they're used, and often a little beat up or incomplete. But what a great feeling when I find one.
Geeze, another reason for me to move to CA. Not that I frequent them but I haven't yet to find worthwhile AGs in any Goodwill stores in NJ. I see plenty of games like Doom and Hexen etc but haven't really seen any AGs in NJ Goodwill stores.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:47 AM   #32
fov
Rattenmonster

I thought it was just because a lot of people in the tech industry live here (who might have played adventures in the 80s/90s), but then I was at a thrift store with my mom in Boston and found a boxed SQ2. Maybe I just have good karma.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:53 AM   #33
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

FOV - coming from there I can say there are many, many tech people in Boston, too. The route 128 area was techie before Silicone Valley was. MIT developed some of the earlier computer games. It is a very techie region and I miss that here in Florida. Every part of the computer culture is harder to find here.

Lynsie
Old 09-14-2005, 07:14 AM   #34
Super Moderator

I've been hitting Ebay quite a bit lately. The latest vintage buy I had was DOTT - it certainly wasn't the triangle box (which was cool) but a two part rectangular box with 6-3.5" disks, the manual and instruction sheet ($20). I'm sorely lacking in the old games that I've played (both Sierra and Lucas Arts). Now I'm definitely going to start hitting the thrift stores!
Old 09-14-2005, 07:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I've been hitting Ebay quite a bit lately. The latest vintage buy I had was DOTT - it certainly wasn't the triangle box (which was cool) but a two part rectangular box with 6-3.5" disks, the manual and instruction sheet ($20). I'm sorely lacking in the old games that I've played (both Sierra and Lucas Arts). Now I'm definitely going to start hitting the thrift stores!
have the sam & max/DOTT value pack but i took my DOTT manual to school many times to use the image for a DT project, project came out great but manual coz destoryed practically. Sam and Max BEAUTIFUL game
Old 09-14-2005, 09:27 AM   #36
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Which non-game stores are you talking about?
Apeldoorn isn't very far from Utrecht...
Old 09-14-2005, 09:41 AM   #37
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I'm still kicking myself for not buying DOTT in that triangle box, back when I was a penniless university student... (That game, and The Last Express in the bargain bin for $1!)

AGers in Canadaland should check out their nearest Value Village store (2 in my neck of the woods!) One can sometimes find some real gems amid all the used PC and old console games... There's always new stuff every day, so I always go back very often! Among some of my finds:

-Blade Runner (complete w/ large box, manuals, Westwood promo material, the game looked like it had never been played! Still had the EB sticker for... $39.99?! )
-Island of Dr. Brain and The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain
-KQ6 (CD only and sadly, with NO Guidebook to the Green Isles, which would probably explain why I'm at a total impasse right now! )
-Titanic: Adventure out of Time
-Abyss: Incident at Europa

I should also mention that I managed to stumble upon Bioscopia for ($3) and Amber: Journeys Beyond during my camping trip last week! Whee!!!
Old 09-14-2005, 09:49 AM   #38
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo
-KQ6 (CD only and sadly, with NO Guidebook to the Green Isles, which would probably explain why I'm at a total impasse right now! )
I find a KQ6 CD (without guidebook, of course) almost every time I go into a thrift store. It's become like a joke. I think they're following me! (And I have to force myself not to buy them...)

PM me with your email address, and I can help you out with the guidebook.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:38 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I'm with you on this fov. Earlier this year found a Indiana Jones & The Fate Of Atlantis floppy version complete in box in excellent condition for $3.00. Man, talk about a high! Actually, I feel almost the same way about any of these treasures I find, regardless of the condition.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #40
The Greater of Two Evils

I thought I was spending too much money on old adventure games.

The U.K. Day of the Tentacle/Sam & Max double pack in a DVD case was one of my first purchases when I decided to get back into adventure games because 1.) DotT was one of my favorite adventures, 2.) it was new in box, and 3.) it was inexpensive.

As much as I like Day of the Tentacle, I would not have bought it if I had to pay as much as Fienepien did. I buy these games to play them, not just to own them. That and my computers don't have floppy disk drives, limiting me to CDs and DVDs.