You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 10:45 AM   #21

Yeah I played it and finished like 5 times.

Manny Calavera:
This deck of cards is a little frayed around the edges, but then again so am I and I've got fewer suits...
Old 09-09-2005, 01:03 AM   #22
!A complete failure!

Send a message via MSN to Tinariwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_lad

Manny Calavera:
This deck of cards is a little frayed around the edges, but then again so am I and I've got fewer suits...
I like all the quotes that manule says, he most be the coolest character ever.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinariwen
I like all the quotes that manule says, he most be the coolest character ever.
Definately! I've played it several times and I haven't got yet frustrated at any aspect of the game. Actually, I'm about to start playing it again today, as soon as I get away from these forums.

IMHO Grim Fandango is the best made adventure game, ever. It has a great atmosphere, a nice story and mythology, cool characters with cool lines and some groovy music.

---

Just being curious, at which point of the game you're at the moment? Or have you finished it already? Please post it between the spoiler tags like this:

[*spoiler] Enter your text here! [/spoiler*]

without the * asterixes, as there MIGHT be someone who hasn't played GF around here somewhere...
Old 09-10-2005, 12:25 AM   #24
!A complete failure!

Send a message via MSN to Tinariwen

yeah,and the graffics are increadeble!
Old 09-10-2005, 03:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinariwen
Has om somewone here played grimfandango, or completed it?
I loved every bit of it!

Last edited by kitzingmarko; 09-10-2005 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:48 AM   #26
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

There's a quote in my head now... some unlucky fellow came to this forum and asked if we knew Grim Fandango... damn it, can't remember.

Must... remember... forum... in-joke...

SOMEONE HELP ME ON THIS!
Old 09-10-2005, 04:22 AM   #27

Send a message via AIM to copycat

I know it's unbelievable, but I've never played Grim Fandango, even though I'm such an adventure fanboy and I actually own the game.

Grim was never ported to Mac and up until now I couldn't be bothered to install Virtual PC to play this classic game.

System requirements aren't too high, so my question is: Has anyone here tried running Grim under Virtual PC on a recent Mac? How's the performance? I'd love to, finally, play what seems to be one of the best adventures ever.

And how's this "Residual" stuff of the ScummVM folks going? Is anyone on the board involved into this promising project?
Old 09-10-2005, 09:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazsin
[...] I doubt theres too many people who gave up on it.
Well, here`s one.

I blame it on the controls.

Going to try again, though...eventually.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:13 PM   #29
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21

Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Sam and Max or maybe some of the more recent adventures.
please miss out a great adventure like simon lol

grim fandango great completed finally recently as my breezeblock (laptop the IBM 760 ED if you held it you know what i mean so u understand) had decided to pack up on me then again after dropping it i suppose it was me own fault lol

and what is up with the controls

Marise-Chiko
Old 09-11-2005, 02:15 AM   #30

The thing about Grim Fandango I found interesting was how similar Rubacava is to the film Casablanca I recently saw it for the first time and so many of the Grim characters were based on ones in Casablanca. Im not saying they are stealing them, its a nice tribute I suppose.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:26 AM   #31
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehoe
The thing about Grim Fandango I found interesting was how similar Rubacava is to the film Casablanca I recently saw it for the first time and so many of the Grim characters were based on ones in Casablanca. Im not saying they are stealing them, its a nice tribute I suppose.
Actually, I believe Grim Fandango's story is supposed to mimick the whole film noir movement, of which Casablanca is one of the most famous ones.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
Actually, I believe Grim Fandango's story is supposed to mimick the whole film noir movement, of which Casablanca is one of the most famous ones.
Good observation. I got a similiar feeling playing the game. The whole white sports coats did it to me i think.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:15 AM   #33
Dungeon Master

Casablanca is hardly a film noir.

But, yes, the tribute is clear and very much intentional. I may remember it wrong, but I think I actually got most of the references even though I hadn't watched the movie prior to playing Grim.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:41 AM   #34

I played Grim Fandango a year back and once again this year.
I 'm now playing MI..It's great but not as good as GF.
Can anyone tell me which Lucasarts work is more closer to Grim Fandango.
I like that in Grim Fandango the time was recent not old like in pirates and stuff.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:50 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by midi
I played Grim Fandango a year back and once again this year.
I 'm now playing MI..It's great but not as good as GF.
Can anyone tell me which Lucasarts work is more closer to Grim Fandango.
I like that in Grim Fandango the time was recent not old like in pirates and stuff.
If it's just a matter of recent times, well, the Indiana Jones games are excellent, especially Fate of Atlantis.
And Day of the Tentacle has recent settings as well.
And sam and Max, too.

I wouldn't say that any of these games, or of any Lucas Arts games, are close to Grim Fandango as far as the atmosphere is concerned, though.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by copycat
I know it's unbelievable, but I've never played Grim Fandango, even though I'm such an adventure fanboy and I actually own the game.

Grim was never ported to Mac and up until now I couldn't be bothered to install Virtual PC to play this classic game.

System requirements aren't too high, so my question is: Has anyone here tried running Grim under Virtual PC on a recent Mac? How's the performance? I'd love to, finally, play what seems to be one of the best adventures ever.

And how's this "Residual" stuff of the ScummVM folks going? Is anyone on the board involved into this promising project?
Well, last time I was using Virtual PC, it couldn't do 3D graphics, so you might be out of luck. I've been playing GF in Cedega on Gentoo linux though, so I know it's not that difficult to emulate.

Were I x86-less like yourself, I'd be inclined to stop by retrobox.com, where you can get a PII that would play GF for under $30, or a nice PIII for around $100. I used to play all my adventures on a 450MHz Celeron I got for free and use my mac for everything else, and it was a nice setup.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:22 PM   #37
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Yep, I recently finished my annual replay Grim Fandango for at least the 6th time, always around November 1st to coincide with the actual Day of the Dead. (Say, does anyone else do this or am I just weird like that? Wait, don't answer that last part. )

Currently, I'm giving tips to an avid adventure gamer who's 80 years young, having tech trouble with the conveyor belt in Year Three...

Things players might miss:

Manny's priceless reaction if you try to make him pick up the giant kitty litter with his hands...

Glottis playing the Rusty Anchor song on the piano or Olivia reciting the Rusty Anchor poem in Year Two

Manny shouting "Hell no, we won't work! Bogen is a big fat jerk!" along with Terry and the other Seabees (and Terry's reaction if Manny chants late )

Domino's reaction when Manny enters his office (at the Edge of the World) while carrying the tiny hammer
Old 11-17-2005, 12:51 AM   #38
Live Slow Die Old

I lent it to a friend recently and he complained that he thought the graphics were crap. I tried to explain that you have to look at it in the context of when it was made. Sadly though, I remember being dissapointed in the graphics myself when it came out. The backgrounds were beautiful, but I hated the characters. I think I was just bitter that this game (for me at least) heralded the end of the 2D adventure game, which I still miss to this date.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Domino's reaction when Manny enters his office (at the Edge of the World) while carrying the tiny hammer
That must be one of the funniest moments in any adventure game ever.

Quote:
I lent it to a friend recently and he complained that he thought the graphics were crap.
If you have a recent graphics card, turn on full antialiasing and anisotropic filtering, the game still looks amazing. With antialiasing on, objects that you can interact with, and characters, blend more or less seamlessly into the environment, it also works great with MI4. I'd almost say that it's worth a replay just to see how it looks with graphics like that. :p
Old 11-17-2005, 04:21 PM   #40

It's a shame they cancelled the sequel to Grim. I was able to see a couple of screenshots for the number two in a magazine once. Does anyone remember seeing these as well?

'The workers shall control all means of production - Oh! Better not show that to Glottis.'