You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Fahrenheit: French or English?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2005, 03:36 PM   #1

Default Fahrenheit: French or English?

I've got a very silly question that I hope somebody will able to answer. I plan on buying Fahrenheit, but I'm not sure I should buy it in French or English.

Does anybody know how it was developed and which version is the "best"? I mean, was it developped in French and then shabbily translated into English (like Syberia), or was it written in English from the start, with the team supervising the English voices, and then translated to the designers' native language (as was the case for The Longest Journey)?

I hope somebody will be able to shed some light on this.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Well, this may be a silly answer - but if you are a natural french speaker then buy the game in French; if not, then buy the English version.

I speak 3 languages (apart from english) but I would never consider playing a game that wasn't in my own language
Old 09-02-2005, 07:03 PM   #3

If you're English, English, if you're French English and French?
Old 09-03-2005, 05:39 AM   #4
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

I wouldn't mind getting a French version with English subtitles if the acting is better.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop
I wouldn't mind getting a French version with English subtitles if the acting is better.
But is it? France has a long tradition of terrible dialogue writing and just as terrible acting (thank Racine and Molière for that...), and French versions of games (even French ones) usually have far-below-the-already-low-average acting. Whereas the acting in the English demo seemed nice, at least for Lukas (or whatever his name was).

So I still don't know what to do.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
I've got a very silly question that I hope somebody will able to answer. I plan on buying Fahrenheit, but I'm not sure I should buy it in French or English.
(...)
Hi.

Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy was developed in English.
English version was directed by David Cage (He says himself it's the version he prefers).
Translations were done by Atari (even the French one).

Hope this will help :-)
Old 09-03-2005, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
But is it? France has a long tradition of terrible dialogue writing and just as terrible acting (thank Racine and Molière for that...), and French versions of games (even French ones) usually have far-below-the-already-low-average acting. Whereas the acting in the English demo seemed nice, at least for Lukas (or whatever his name was).
Yeah, you're right! I mean, how guys wearing the beret who goes around carrying a baguette as well as a bottle of wine and women who let their hair grows on their armpit could be of any talent ?

Go **** yourself. Then buy a brain.

As or the choice between french and english, I would go for english because it seems that Cage directed the english cast during the recording sessions.
But I'm wondering if the europeaan version is an international version in which you can choose any language with any subtitles. That would be nice.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:35 PM   #8

Quote:
I found most recent games had very good (french) acting. I'm thinking Still Life, Syberia, Black Mirror, Myst, etc...
Old 09-04-2005, 12:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman
Hi.

Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy was developed in English.
English version was directed by David Cage (He says himself it's the version he prefers).
Translations were done by Atari (even the French one).

Hope this will help :-)
It does, thanks a lot! It'll be English for me, then.

Quote:
I found most recent games had very good (french) acting. I'm thinking Still Life, Syberia, Black Mirror, Myst, etc...
Syberia's French voices were great. I haven't played Still Life yet, but I'll certainly play it in French when I do, as it is the language it was developed in. But I'm very wary of French versions usually. If the game is American or English, I always play it in English.
The thing is, I had a very bad experience with TLJ. I thought "well, the game is Norwegian, so the English version has no reason for being better that the French one". So I bought it in French... The translation was awful (the lines felt as awkward as Microsoft-linguo) and the acting mediocre. Which is a problem with a game that has extremely long conversations. And then I discovered that it had originally been developed in English and that the English voices were great. And so I bought again, enjoyed it a lot more and threw the French version away.
Somehow, I felt the situation might be the same with Fahrenheit. Seems like I was right (well, I don't know how good the French version will be, but it's still a translation from the original English version, so it's probably inferior).

Quote:
Yeah, you're right! I mean, how guys wearing the beret who goes around carrying a baguette as well as a bottle of wine and women who let their hair grows on their armpit could be of any talent ?

Go **** yourself. Then buy a brain.

As or the choice between french and english, I would go for english because it seems that Cage directed the english cast during the recording sessions.

Thanks for confirming the info, though.