You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Adventure Shop Are there any games that actually work here?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #1

Default Are there any games that actually work here?

I have windows Vista, so obviously you need brand new games made compatible for vista, but I just threw $20 away for Black Mirror, it seems "tech support" is nonexistent here, and the only way for games to work is to get older drivers installed, which is obviously not an option.
I really don't feel like throwing my money away anymore. I have had 3 games from here that I haven't played due to issues with compatability. I have read many messages on here on how to fix games, but nothing ever seems to work for anyone. I, too, have tried tech support only to be ignored like many on here. Just wondering if anything will be changing here soon, or should I just leave quietly pretending I never heard of this place?
Old 05-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
Hopeful skeptic

Sorry you're having problems with your games, but if you're referring to the Adventure Shop, I should clarify that Adventure Gamers neither owns nor operates the shop. We're simply a media affiliate.

If the problems are strictly compatibility-based, there isn't much any retailer can do to correct it. We do have a forum dedicated to shop issues, however, so I'll transfer your thread there and make sure someone sees it.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Adventure Shop

Godslamb,

Sincerely sorry that you had a bad experience with Black Mirror.
This game is classic adventure, released a long time ago.
Unfortunately the game is not Vista compatible and the studio behind the game never released any Vista/Win 7 patch for compatibility.

http://us-adventureshop.gamesplanet....ck-Mirror.html

I invite you to check the System requirements on buy page. You will find out see that this game is not Vista Compatible.

I will ask our tech people if a solution exists which does not require to many modifications from your side.

Damon
Old 05-20-2010, 05:35 AM   #4

Thank you for addressing this issue. I also apologise for not understanding the system requirements.
I appreciate the help.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:05 AM   #5

I had similar problems with Black Mirror on Windows 7, although I was using the disk-based version. The problems were totally related to the Starforce protection that was used. For me, the only solution that worked was installing a crack. I don't know if this would work for the Adventure Shop version, though.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:55 AM   #6

Sorry to hear this as I had the same problems with Black Mirror as did a million other people. It's any wonder I bought the second game. They simply have to include the first game free in the BM3. There's no doubt about it.
I would say (as pathetic as this may seem) that the fact I couldn't get to play BM detracted from my enjoyment of BM2.

I have since installed BM via W7 Ultimate's XP mode Virtual PC, but how many people have access to that? Most people have Home Premium where this mode isn't available to them.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #7

Oh well looks like I was wrong for BM doesn't even run in XP mode lol!

It's not the fault of The Adventure Shop (last I saw I noticed they hadn't actually specified the game wasn't compatible with Vista or 7 which may have changed since then) but that dreaded Starforce.

Whilst it does say that it's compatible with perating systems up to XP, so would most of the other games on the site I would imagine - but most of those would work on Vista or 7. So yes the AS should make it clear it's not compatible with both Vista and 7 - and also XP Mode.

I had installed the game via XP mode but hadn't actually tried it to see if it worked but it doesn't

(Sorry if the pic's massive)