You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Adventure Shop Still life from the shop and starforce

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #1

Default Still life from the shop and starforce

I looked through the Shop help section and I didn't find an answer to my question, so I thought I'd post here.

I would like to download Still Life from the shop, but I understand that it might have Starforce, which I do not want.

If Starforce is a copy protection program, and we can burn the downloaded games onto a CD, does the shop download of Still Life just somehow get around the Starforce protection? Or does the downloaded version from the shop not have Starforce?

I really like the shop, BTW. I've downloaded a couple games so far.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #2

I posted this over a month ago - why won't anyone from the shop answer my questions? Other questions get answered within days.

My question: does the downloadable Still Life from the Adventure Shop have Starforce?

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Super Moderator

The whole Adventure Shop uses a protection system that is Starforce but it isn't the same that's used on physical CDs. It doesn't install any drivers on your computer though, which I think was one of the biggest complaints of that protection software. It's more of a digital rights management deal.

http://www.star-force.com/solutions/...proactive/#tab

Hopefully that will help and someone will pop in to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #4

Thank you Melanie. That was just the info I needed!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:25 AM   #5
Adventure Shop

Still life is not using starforce as a copy protection system.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #6

Thanks Damon.

I purchased this today with Post Mortem, and it downloaded quickly.

I have Vista, and I had learned that this game is playable in compatibility mode. I tried to install it several times after downloading (first in Vista, and then in Windows 2000 compatibility mode), and no luck. Compatibility didn't seem to make a difference.

The installer says it needs disc 6 or the file:

Pack_PostMortem-StillLife_Setup-6.bin

I cannot find this file ANYWHERE on my computer. The download was so quick - is it possible that some files didn't download?

I sent an e-mail to shop support (which is you, right?), so you will probably see this anyway.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
It's just me

Yikes ShaggyMia... I'm afraid Still Life isn't compatible at all on Vista. There were several posts in these forums regarding this unfortunate fact. But I'll admit it should have been made clear on The Adventure Shop somehow. I mean, they show the system requirements, and obviously, Vista isn't listed there. But there's no claim whatsoever about Still Life's incompatibility with Vista.

I know I'm not helping much, but anyhow, good luck! Perhaps sending an email to support would bring better light on the matter at hand.

Last edited by Lunatik; 08-22-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I'm afraid Still Life isn't compatible at all on Vista. There were several posts in these forums regarding this unfortunate fact.
That's not quite true. Some people have managed to get it to work on compatibility mode, but others have had no luck at all.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
Adventure Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMia View Post
The installer says it needs disc 6 or the file:

Pack_PostMortem-StillLife_Setup-6.bin

I cannot find this file ANYWHERE on my computer. The download was so quick - is it possible that some files didn't download?
Hi,

You should try to re-download the file. The downloader may have made a mistake.
If it is still not working, please send an email to our support.

Thanks,
Old 08-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #10

I sent an e-mail to support. So hopefully I will hear back. I did try to re-download the game, without luck, so at this point, I will probably just get my money back or get a credit.

I have heard from a number of individuals that Still Life DOES work on Vista, in compatibility mode. I did my homework before I decided to buy the game. Furthermore, I have played a number of games on Vista that were not listed as compatible with Vista, and I made them work through compatibility mode changes, turning off visual themes, and changing installation locations.

I knew well ahead of time the potential problems of Still Life with Vista, as I have been with all the games I have made WORK WELL with Vista.

I'll just have to wait for Still Life 2!!
Old 08-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #11
It's just me

I'm sorry ShaggyMia, I didn't mean to suggest you didn't make your homework. I simply wanted to point out that this stubborn game (though clearly my favorite of recent years) is known to have issues with Microsoft's latest operating system. I apologize for my apparent lack of English skills, for you see, I'm a French speaker.

I'm also anxiously waiting for Still Life 2. I very much hope it makes its targeted release date of mid-November.

See you around!
Old 08-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #12

Not a problem, Lunatik. I wasn't offended at all!