You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Adventure Shop Adventure Shop Pricing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #1

Default Adventure Shop Pricing

After purchasing countless Adventure games the old fashioned way (in a box), I decided to try the Adventure Shop. I was surprised and disappointed to see the pricing was exactly the same as what's being offered in retail stores - and in some cases, more expensive than what I can purchase the boxed game for online - including shipping costs ("Still Life" for example).

With a limited number of times the game can be downloaded (not that I would ever need to download more than 6 times - but it's nice to know that I could), and no additional storyline background (usually found in the "Getting Started" Guide) the Adventure Shop needs to rethink it's pricing strategy in order for me to continue using it.

I did use the Adventure Shop to purchase "Delaware St. John Vol. 2." for two reasons: 1. because it's not available in standard retail channels 2. The software cost less than $12 - More along the lines of what I would expect to pay for this limited game format.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Adventure Shop

We unfortunately can not decide of the price of a game on the shop.
This price is determined by the licensor...

We will definitively come with a better pricing policy in the coming months. It takes time to teach people ;-).
Old 03-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #3

Thanks Damon! I'll have my credit card ready
Old 03-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Sar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Thanks Damon! I'll have my credit card ready
Just playing devil's advocate but wasn't the reason the feds got so proactive in commerce many years ago was because manufacturers were dictating pricing limiting competition in the market place?

Damon's reply, "We unfortunately can not decide of the price of a game on the shop. This price is determined by the licensor.." sounds as if this is the thing in a different package.

I think they called it price fixing.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:52 AM   #5
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Um, heh. With all due respect, it might be a good idea to read up on what price fixing really is before you "play devil's advocate". It's a totally different thing that has nothing to do with this thread.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Sar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Um, heh. With all due respect, it might be a good idea to read up on what price fixing really is before you "play devil's advocate". It's a totally different thing that has nothing to do with this thread.
Perhaps, but considering what was stated above what exactly do you call it when the licensor tells the reseller what they can charge for a product?

Isn't that what was meant when the Adventure Shop claims they can't determine what they charge for a download?

It may not fit the legal description of the term "Price Fixing" But it sure describes what the end result is.

I am not trying to start an argument just asking a question. If download shops are told what they must charge how is it not fixing the price? And why would you pay full retail for a product that limits your ability to use it when compared to the hard copy? It only seems reasonable that a limited use product should cost less than an unrestricted version.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
Adventure Shop

This stuation should change over the time.

The main concern with price recommandation, is that retailers are using digital distribution at lower prices to remove games from the shelves.
Licensors probably do not want to face this situation.

It will take time to educate the market and retailers.You can believe me if I tell ou that we are trying to change this stuation.

Unless digital becomes big enough to over pass traditionnal retail distribution, time is our best friend.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
Sar

I believe you Damon and understand the situation is not of your making. I truly wish you success in this endeavor and hope the Licensors figure out an equitable resolution.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Adventure Shop

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar View Post
I believe you Damon and understand the situation is not of your making. I truly wish you success in this endeavor and hope the Licensors figure out an equitable resolution.
Thank you for your support.
We'll do our best to make our customers happy.