View Single Post
Old 12-17-2004, 04:15 PM   #8
serpentbox
Game Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to serpentbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Thanks for the adept response.

Interesting that you should mention Campbell. Along these lines, do you feel that you are more heavily influenced by archetypal criticism?

Is Samms the essential HERO delving through shadow in search of self-satisfaction? The archetypal view seems to suggest more an emphasis on the collective unconscious than on the individual--as seen in the existential philosophy; so is Bad Mojo more of a dream, a metaphorical construct for man/personkind at large?

Campbell's "cathedral-inspired transformation" also stems from his examination of myth and cross-cultural connections. The transformation may be an individual one, but the search for transformation is actually a societal cause or goal. Thus, archetypal criticism and the existential philosophy may actually be at odds with one another. Existentialism, in fact, often supposes that life is senseless and absurd, which you have clearly stated is not truly the base of Bad Mojo. Yet, archetypes seem to give meaning to life, provide it with heros and gods, with traditions, legends and explained phenomena. Is the end purpose of Bad Mojo then to send a philosophical message--whether existential of archetypal--or to provide the player with a bit of fun (adding in a few splashes of existential or archetypal thought)?

Nice to be able to have this conversation, VC.

Kirk Latimer
Man, I'm way out of my league here.

I never thought as much about the deeper meaning of Mojo as much as you seem to have. I identify with the hero who seeks knowledge and enlightenment through his/her own volition. But Roger Samms is the reluctant hero. All I ever wanted to do is something bigger and more meaningful than had been done bfore in a so-called game. I wanted to elevate the medium. In the end Roger Samm's journey is my own. His father quest is my father quest. His greed was my greed. We were both led down the same garden path and in the end we found something more meaningful.

Mojo has no purpose other than to entertain in a somewhat intelligent manner. There is no great goal. No lofty meaning. It is what it is, the struggle of a man as depicted by the struggling artists who made it. We are not great thinkers. Only great idealists. But yes, in the end I, personally, was more influenced by Joe Campbell than anything else.