View Single Post
Old 11-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #50
CrimsonBlue

Okay, just wanted to say that I've put somewhere close to 20-30 hours into the game now. I just got all the character spaces filled up. I wonder, are there any other characters that can be added? Because since this is an rpg I expect to have a wide choice of characters.

Another thing, I'm loving this game, but I'm not so sure about calling it a western rpg. The exploring, puzzle-solving, investigating reminds me very much of an adventure game. The only difference is, there's the occasional fighting. The non-linearity that pc-rpgers tout so much about is also non-existant in the true meaning of the word. I can't see how J-RPG is any more linear than this. Planescape Torment is just as linear as one would call the GTA series. You have the choice to continue with the main-story, or you could decide to find secrets, hidden places, solve problems unrelated to the main-story. In Planescape this builds up your characters a lot, but these little side-quests seems to rarely tie into the main story.

But anyway, it's an excellent game, and I may think that after this I may be ready for some more pc-rpgs with more characters at once, since I'm getting some practice in this one. I have Baldur's Gate II lying around, it's a beautiful box. Shame on me for not being totally impressed by it yet, but hopefully I will after a while once I complete Torment.

As a sidenote... while I think it's one hell of a game, story wise, I still find Final Fantasy VII on top of the charts for me. But I have trouble deciding which one I like more - Neverwinter Nights, or Planescape: Torment? Although they can't be compared, because Planescape is much heavier story-wise than Neverwinter Nights is, which I enjoyed for the gameplay - not story.