View Single Post
Old 11-12-2004, 06:42 AM   #48
CrimsonBlue

Yes, but I need good gameplay too, in addition to a good story. I like random encounters, turnbased battles.

And I still think that if a game doesn't grab you from the moment go, then why should I force myself to go on because "maybe there's a good game in there somewhere". I have too many other games for that. Games are meant to entertain. They're supposed to seduce the gamer to go on, the gamer shouldn't have to work for entertainment. That's not entertainment.

But of course, I'm not talking about a 10 minute session into a game like Planescape or even a racing game like Gran Turismo (strangely enough). There's a difference between instant fun and a game that grows on you. I know that. I can't say yet if I'll love or hate Planescape, but I like one side of it, and don't like the other. Story seems very intriguing and interesting, atmosphere and ambient very good, but the gameplay so far seems... well... it doesn't give me much yet. I know I can't give a game like this up after 10 minutes of play, I should put at least an hour or two into it first (of effective gameplay, not getting stuck for one hour and give up, like I did the first time). Just like a game like Gran Turismo, you won't enjoy that game if you have no idea how to control the cars, and have absolutely no feel for the physics and spins out all the time. But after a bit of practice, you get so much more out of it.

Anyway, I'll be playing Planescape a bit more. I need to be in the right mood for it first.