View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004, 03:26 AM   #8
Kolorabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerShard
Can't we all just play Quest for Glory and be happy?
Hehe, yeah, the Quest for Glory series is a fantastic example of how a mix between adventure and rpg can work very, very well. The QfG-games have a start and a goal, but other than that you're mostly free to do as you please. You have to keep your character alive, and you have to increase his stats so that you can solve the more difficult puzzles and stand a chance against dangerous foes. I feel that the rpg elements made me identify with my character - he wasn't just some puppet who solved puzzles, but a real person who had to eat, drink and sleep.

The puzzles were also very well done, and most of them had multiple solutions (just like in real life, there's more than one way to do things). An example from very early on in the game:

Spoiler:
You have to find something in a "birds" nest, but you can't reach it. If you're a strong character, you could try climbing the tree to get to the nest. If you're a weak magician, you can use the fetch-spell on the nest, and if you're good enough, it'll come down. If you're agile and good at throwing, you can throw a rock or something (just ask your character to find rocks) at the nest, and if you manage to hit it, it'll fall down. There nay be other solutions too, but these are the ones I'm aware of.

I fell in love with the Quest for Glory games, and everyone I've shown them to have loved them too. They're really must-play games, and if possible, play the original version of the first game (not the VGA-version).