View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
JHousequake
T.J. Hooker's Lovechild

Default Al Lowe's Review Of Magna Cum Laude...

Okay, this didn't really upset me, but yeah I pretty much agree with everything he said having played the game and cheating...

TAKEN FROM http://allowe.com/Larry/MCL.htm

What About Magna Cum Laude?
Hundreds of you have asked my opinion of Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude. Although I have yet to finish the game, I have seen quite a bit of it.
Truth be told, I may never finish it.

But here's my initial impression, and I promise to update this page as I progress through the game.

First Impressions Count
I expected worse, especially after reading the many reviews across the Net. MetaCritic.com reports that MCL's reviews across the Net have averaged 64, on a scale of 100.
Differences It is not Larry 8! Even though VU calls it a "Leisure Suit Larry game," Leisure Suit Larry's only role is a cameo as the "help voiceover." It is not an adventure game.There are no real puzzles, no interactive dialog, no narrator, no character develop-ment, and nearly no plot. Much of the dialogue is uninspired and trite. There's more profanity in the first scene than in all the previous Larry games combined. Women cuss like sailors. The F-word is repeated so often the writers must have used a macro. The plentiful load screens show cheesy photographs of average-looking college-aged women who don't look sexy, but rather, ill-at-ease.

Similarities The protagonist is a loser named Larry who has trouble scoring with women. The game works hard, usually too hard, to reference earlier Larry games. Like Larry Laffer, it seems to desperately want to fit in. The animation is 3D and wonderfully jiggly. (Actually, "pendulous" would be a better word; most of these breasts are too large to jiggle.) There's some humorous dialogue. And it's more than bawdy enough.

But… All this ignores the glaring disaster of those damned mini-games! They're distracting, repetitive, and boring. Who wants to play lame arcade games that wouldn't be fun even on a GameBoy? Not even this game's giant breasts are worth this slog.

MCL is definitely unlike the other Larry games.

Bottom Line
Those who seek 3D boobs, profanity, and fart jokes will be pleased.

Those who fondly remember the earlier games will be severely disappointed.