View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 01:16 PM   #70
SoccerDude28
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Perhaps, but what would you do if you approached your mailbox and saw that someone mysteriously stuck a lousy slider puzzle on it (yes these puzzles seem to pop up in the most artificial "let's-stick-an-impossible-puzzle-in-here-because-it-doesn't-make-sense-and-we're-clueless-anyway" way), the only way you can get your mail is to solve the damn thing? Hmmm, in a perfect adventure game with limited amount of action I would.... smash the stupid thing open with my trusty lead pipe!! And I'd buy a new mailbox with the money I accrued from accomplishing my RPG style quests!

8-) w00t.
Man you remind me of Runaway 2. I think in another thread I put this as stupidest puzzle ever created:
SPOILER AHEAD:
You need a wrench to give to the weird science guy to fix his bike. You go through all the trouble to get the wrench and when the guy was supposed to give it to you he throws it outside in the trench of mud. You go down to pick up the wrench and you see it in the mud. but would you pick it up??? noooooooooooooooo... why coz you would get your hands dirty. And your gf Gina is dying and you are running short on time. Ok so You(I) spend 3 days (real days) walking around trying to find some cloth to pick up the wrench. What was the solution?? You go up to the second floor of the saloon, go to the balcony, and throw a pot onto the trench so that by Archimedis law, the wrench will fly out of the trench and voila. If I wrote the game my solution would have been:

Pick up wrench.
Wash hands.

Now Here is my take about action in games. If the game warrants action IT SHOULD HAVE action. If it doesn't it shouldn't. It should be natural to the gameplay and seemless not imposed. Indiana jones games should have action coz that was indiana jones is about and LA was right on target with Indy. Made it look more realistic too.

Firefox rules