View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 01:26 PM   #11
edlglide

Send a message via AIM to edlglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Boots
I think Oscar was vey important in the story, and Trep wrote a beautiful essay (Life and Death on Rails) that had a very good explanation of the part he played in it. I love it in Syberia that all characters are metaphors.
Yes, Syberia is a work of art, the only novelesque game I played, and, though many might disagree, played a very important part in the evolution of gaming.

I'm not sure what you mean by novelesque -- if you just mean a great story, then there are plenty of RPGs that beat out Syberia in that regard (in my opinion). And yes, I disagree about the evolution of gaming.........I found absolutely nothing in Syberia that was innovative in any way. It was a fun game, but far from special. One of the better adventure games released recently, yes, but that's more a result of the lack of many releases than anything.

EDIT:

I just wanted to add that I'm not attacking Syberia, or trying to put it down in any way. I just didn't get a sense of anything spectacular while playing through and beating the two games -- they were fun for the little bit of time I spent playing them. But I don't feel like I'd ever want to go back and play through it again, and other games HAVE given me that feeling. It's a good, fun game...........just not anything worthy of high praise in my opinion.

Last edited by edlglide; 09-08-2004 at 01:41 PM.