View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004, 02:25 PM   #16
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jony
...and whats the point of doing that? You are better off with the 1st SP and an anti-virus, firewall, and a pop-up blocker. I guess for some peeps 250 megabytes (yes thats how much SP2 is) is nothing.
Yes, I was being facetious. The point is that your system would be a lot easier to use if it had no security whatsoever (isn't all that password stuff a pain?), but then you shouldn't be surprised when you end up with every trojan going. The fact is that Microsoft have tightened up security significantly in SP2, but it's silly to assume that this can happen transparently. Any attempt to improve security is going to be met with restrictions on normal use - just try using Windows XP with a 'local user' account - but it's ultimately a lot safer. I bet you had lots of fun clicking 'Permit' and 'Remember this setting' when you first installed Zone Alarm, didn't you? It's the same issue - you're willing to put up with that amount of hassle to gain a little confidence in the system.

Personally I run as Administrator and don't have a software firewall, but I've weighed the risks against the effort involved in using a 'local user' account and running ZoneAlarm and I find them acceptable. I am assuming that a lot of people will do the same with SP2, but they'll still feel obliged to cry when this decision "bites them in the ass" as they say.