View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 09:22 AM   #58
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
I don't mean to say that games of that era were less violent. But I do think they showed more creativity in terms of gameplay. Think about how many different kinds of games came out of that period. Frogger. Pac-Man. Burger Time. Donkey Kong. Q*bert. Joust. Marble Madness. Those games showed a lot of originality. These days it seems like almost every game that comes out is exactly the same as every other game in the same genre.

I think a big part of the reason we have so many violent games is because it's easy. Shooting things provides a very simple action that everybody can understand. Making fun non-violent games requires a lot more thought. Back in the 80s it was a lot easier to be that creative because the gameplay was pretty much the only thing the game had going for it. Now a lot of publishers would rather play it safe and use the same gameplay as everybody else just with newer graphics.

mag
Yeah, but think about the games back then. First of all, games were so young, that by simply creating a game that is not a carbon copy of another, you'd probably create a new genre. In the end, a horde of Space Invaders clones were made (Space Wars was one), but they were lost in the mists of time. Secondly, it's a lot easier to think of something that is simple and short than something that has to have all the requirements games have these days. Create a new arcade game idea. It's not that hard, just think of something. Do you think someone would publish it? No f***ing way.