View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 08:57 AM   #56
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop
Someone said games should be more like in the 80s. Think about violence in 80s hits. Space Invaders. Endless killing and rampage without pause. Only the graphics didn't show it too well The reason 80s games are considered less violent is because they didn't have the technology to show violence.
I don't mean to say that games of that era were less violent. But I do think they showed more creativity in terms of gameplay. Think about how many different kinds of games came out of that period. Frogger. Pac-Man. Burger Time. Donkey Kong. Q*bert. Joust. Marble Madness. Those games showed a lot of originality. These days it seems like almost every game that comes out is exactly the same as every other game in the same genre.

I think a big part of the reason we have so many violent games is because it's easy. Shooting things provides a very simple action that everybody can understand. Making fun non-violent games requires a lot more thought. Back in the 80s it was a lot easier to be that creative because the gameplay was pretty much the only thing the game had going for it. Now a lot of publishers would rather play it safe and use the same gameplay as everybody else just with newer graphics.

mag