View Single Post
Old 08-10-2004, 08:20 AM   #46
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

It would be nice to see more games that have more to do than just killing stuff. It seems like these days games are a lot better in terms of graphics and interface, but they're all the same in terms of gameplay. Back in the arcade days there were a lot more differences between individual games because the gameplay was pretty much the only thing they had going for them. So they had no choice but to be creative. As a result, you have all these old games that aren't really similar to each other, but there's no way to really categorize them other than as simply "arcade games." I'd like to see some more of that creativity in today's games.

I would disagree with you on one point, though, remixor. In the article you seem to just reject out of hand the notion that violent video games could possibly make people more aggressive. I'm not saying it does or it doesn't. I'm just saying there's really not enough evidence to prove the effects of video game violence one way or the other, so we shouldn't simply assume that there is no effect just because we happen to like games. I've written all about my views on this in some articles I wrote earlier this year (The Dark Side of Gaming, Parts I and II).

mag