View Single Post
Old 08-07-2004, 03:19 PM   #18
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by GED X-42
Though it would be interesting to see more games with the option of not killing people.
Oh, by all means it's possible. Adventure games have been doing it for years. But, since we bring up non-lethal options as a means, adventure games pretty much get boring in that respect because they will always revert to the typcial approach - puzzles ( ). As for games in other genres, there is definitely more flexibility, especially with technological advances in areas like physics and A.I.

Quote:
Also wonders what a Silent Hill game would be like, without the combat and a greater emphasis on story and characters.
Me too, absolutely! But tell that to Konami. They are brilliant in what they do, but the day they grow up is the day when they'll finally include options like stealth, non-violent options, and reliance on the player's wit and ingenuity to progress. But as it is, the Silent Hill games are sadly trapped and constrained within the weary conventions of survival horror. So far their only contributions to the arena of innvovation are the extreme emotional and psychological density of the stories in the games. No adventure game, I argue, can touch it, I have yet to play one adventure game that even comes close to affecting me such the way Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2 did.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien