View Single Post
Old 08-06-2004, 03:28 PM   #13
Sly Boots
Master of Time and Space

There's a link to the site about Facade you provided, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4038606/ , Bringing Emotions to Video Games. Warren Spector, the creator of Deus Ex says "If I can get away with not putting a virtual gun — commercially speaking — in a game I would do it in a heartbeat.".
On another note, concerning this article, I think games that bring up emotions have already been made: Syberia, Grim Fandango and even Max Payne. But there has been no real freedom in a game so far, so it works out like a movie, emotionally speaking. Sure, I'd love to see a game where you can do everithing you want, make all the choices you want, good or bad, and an AI that can adapt to your will, but that game would have to include violence (what if your will is to shoot people ?).
The article also states that games aren't that emotionally challenging because the game designers aren't good writers. Well, nowadays, every story-driven game has a real writer. Anachronox, for example, although a game whose idea was thought by Tom Hall while he was in the bathroom, was very well written, because Hall hired a real Hollywood writer, and a real director to expand his idea (the writer&director previously did a movie that got good reviews, Dean Quixote). Although the story is funny, if you read it to the end, there's also a lot of drama in it, and the way it's written and acted in the cutscenes (with facial animation - in 2001!!) suggests a very skilled crew, and a step forward in gaming.
Playing: Omikron: The Nomad Soul Next: Sanitarium Replaying: QFG IV: Shadows of Darkness, Grim Fandango, Syberia Waiting for: Max Payne 3, Deus Ex 3, American McGee's OZ, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Fahrenheit, Anachronox 2 (if they ever make it)