View Single Post
Old 08-06-2004, 11:43 AM   #9
pleto4_ryan
After 2 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
There are plenty of violent movies, but if you think there would be the slightest bit of trouble to go to a video rental store and easily find a nonviolent film you're clearly out of touch. My mom hates violent movies and cringes when she sees violence on screen, but she's never had any problem finding the nonviolent ones (dramas, comedies, whatever) and she hasn't even come close to exhausting the amount of nonviolent films you can find. Saying something like "every other genre [besides comedy] has at least one murder of some other form of violence/abuse in its story to get everything going" is not only incorrect, it's missing the point. Even if a movie has "a murder" somewhere in it, you can't draw a parallel to violent games. If a game only had one murder in it, and that murder was a pivotal point in the story, it would have to be in a cutscene or a scripted scene or at a point in the game that forces you to commit it. If that's all there was, I don't even know if I'd consider it a violent game, at least by the standards I've outlined in my article. Violence in that case wouldn't be the gameplay mechanic, and that's what I've been discussing.
And as far as movies and games both relying on characters, story, and violence, yes this is true in some cases (clearly not all), but when have you seen a game that can compare with a good movie in terms of storytelling? I can think of maybe half a dozen examples in gaming and none of them truly come close to the best examples of storytelling I've seen in movies, with maybe one exception. Violence or no, we've got a long way to go before video games catch up with movies in almost any respect except immersiveness. Once (if) we reach that point, then using violence or not using violence will merely be a content choice rather than being a lynchpin of design.
you know what, if you think about it, classic films, the films from the 60 and 50 were all open to be seen by anyone, children and adults (or well mostly all the movies) even when there were murderess and violence...
you are in a
Dreamfall