View Single Post
Old 08-05-2004, 12:54 PM   #15
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
Although I did find that lightsabres battles were a bit willy-nilly sometimes in Jedi Outcast. At times you'd just slice through without taking any damage (when battling other sabre-wielding people), and sometimes you'd die time after time... although the level of control was extented and fine, there just seemed to be a lack of strategy during the lightsabrebattles.
You'd lack strategy only if you ignore studying all the moves and combos. The printed manual outlines them. It's fairly intricate in JKII (but more so in JA), and if you invest more time and patience I think you really can develop a tangible advantage over your opponents. This was my particular weakness in head-to-head saber fights, I should have trained more. Think about it, the battles really are quite complex and you can replay each one using different strategies. I preferred using the fast style (blue) overall (once I acquired it, of course).

I found that using the environment in combination with my force powers was highly effective. I used my quick wits mixed with saber skills and environmental awareness. My main tactics were to lure opponents to steep drops or trip mine traps I've set, having evil jedis follow me to areas more advantageous for me, and ducking in tight places to heal and recharge during fights. Customizing your strategies to gain an edge over different jedis is crucial. I discovered that Reborns can be more easily defeated using diagonal slashes, forward lunges, and crouching slashes in combination with force speed and high jumps. The 'ninja' jedis (as I call them, the ones with the green crystals) are really annoying because of their invisibility and quickness, so I use the fast saber style (blue) with strafing and horizontal swipe attacks in combination with [300% to 400%] force speed. They are impossible to get with direct attacks so you have use the 'side door' method.

For a large amount of storm troopers it pays to use the mind trick. At skill level 2 of this, 'distract' 2 or 3 of them first and attack the others, then go back and kill the ones you mind tricked. At level 3 of the skill, simply use your 'charms' to befriend 1 or 2 of them and let them kill all the others for you, then kill them.

Quote:
Spoiler:
And during the fight with the imperial general Galak Fyar, the lightsabre was effectively useless. I ended up getting so mad at him that I'd just grabbed my rocketlauncher, shot at him until his shield was down and them blasted him to hell. And seeing that the rocketlauncher only packs 10 rockets, that was a surprisingly easy way to defeat him. The battle with Desann proved to be even easier though, just hacking with your sabre.
Fyyar was such a bitch (but he's really good looking, heh heh, too bad he's evil ).
Spoiler:
I died too many times. Finally I figured it out - cut down his defensive shield (with your strongest guns) and while he's vulnerable slash him repeatedly with your saber, repeat as necessary, but be very careful and stay behind him while you slash away or he'll kill you with a single blow. Use force speed to maneuver around his charges and use the pillars to your defensive advantage. Killing Desann was cakewalk, I can't believe how anticlimactic that was. I just used fast attack and force speed and slashed him to death, he was using strong attack. What a moron.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 08-05-2004 at 01:03 PM.