View Single Post
Old 06-18-2004, 09:41 AM   #12
eriq
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Back on topic,

I personally scan in a concept sketch and then I digitally paint it in Painter and Photoshop. I've never been a big fan of Painter but I'm trying to learn it because it really is quite a powerful tool once you've mastered it. The learning curve is just ridiculous. Photoshop is my tool of choice.

Developing the scene digitally is much easier than just painting it all by hand like the older Sierra and LucasArts games. I like to colour the scene fully with solids and when I'm satisfied with the lighting, I go back and add all the detail. During this process, more often than not, I tweak a lot of what's going on in a scene. For instance, a big rock might just turn into a tree if it suits the scene better. It's all about the mood!

Here is an example of how a sketch was eventually transformed into a scene. You can see I originally wanted the scene to have a "jungle" atmosphere. It really became something else after about the fourth step. A big change in the colour palette gave the scene a whole new look.